Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends, 5th ed. revised  (Read 273316 times)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends, 5th ed. revised
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 07:14:29 am »

Yeah... sorry about that. I believe I do not deserve to be there and I'd like to be left out of anything that remotly ressemble competition because it sucks the fun out of me at incredible rate. Sorry again !
When I'm gone in the far future and people are still interested, they can vote for it but for now I'd like to be left out of the HoL

Well I do not think this is really a competition, entries are almost never removed for instance however since you feel so strongly about this I guess I'll try to avoid pestering anyone about it for at least another year.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 06:37:47 pm »

Yeah... sorry about that. I believe I do not deserve to be there and I'd like to be left out of anything that remotly ressemble competition because it sucks the fun out of me at incredible rate. Sorry again !
When I'm gone in the far future and people are still interested, they can vote for it but for now I'd like to be left out of the HoL
I don't understand your point of view but I will respect it.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 11:49:54 am »

Query for everyone; I've been thinking about if we need a separate Adventure Mode section.  This was carried over from NAV's thread, but I'm not sure there is enough variety to warrant it.  All Adventure Modes go to the Stories section by default.  Is there enough variety or desire to separate those from purely written stories?  How would we handle the 1-shots like Fluffly Wambler vs. Bronze Colossus?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2017, 11:53:29 am »

Query for everyone; I've been thinking about if we need a separate Adventure Mode section.  This was carried over from NAV's thread, but I'm not sure there is enough variety to warrant it.  All Adventure Modes go to the Stories section by default.  Is there enough variety or desire to separate those from purely written stories?  How would we handle the 1-shots like Fluffly Wambler vs. Bronze Colossus?

I'd just put it as a seperate subsection, i.e., Stories, then Fortress/Adventure. Didn't we also have at least one story that was purely legends? If so, that should be it's own subcategory as well.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 09:33:58 pm »

Maybe don't slice it up too much, or else the hybrids might give you headaches... We could see inter-player-raid succession worlds arise, or more lax RP worlds (something I'm currently obsessed about). Also what about Kruggsmash's last series: Steelclutches? I think I'd only distinguish between actual games and essays (fan litterature). Can we judge an unfinished book? That's too tricky of a question for me, I pass.

How would we handle the 1-shots like Fluffly Wambler vs. Bronze Colossus?

Short tales, memes and player lore? Say ... um, short legends  :D? Sounds dwarvy or doesn't it?
let

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 01:48:57 pm »

Are all four Necrothreats, and all four Dwarf Fortresses From Scratch here?

Oh, and The Museum: The adventure Succession is not really active, is it? So why is it under Active?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:52:34 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2017, 02:22:59 pm »

Necrothreat IV needs more votes.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2017, 03:34:05 pm »

I vote for Necrothreat IV, then.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2017, 09:43:52 am »

Greetings all.  First, a progress report.  I have moved Adventure Mode stories as a subsection within Stories, no longer its' own segment.  Distinguished with a smaller font, italics, and no underline.  The stories that I know as definitely Adventure Mode have been moved accordingly.  Second, I noticed that Roomcarnage was placed in the stories section.  Although the narration is excellent, it really feels more like an Epic Fortress to me.  Thoughts?

Third, there are currently no rules about how a preface for a given Legend is added.  I bring this up because a particular favorite of mine, The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin lacks one, and I thought an old 'omg' moment from myself was actually quite fitting.  But with the whole impartiality of the Curator thing, I wanted to ask.  Here is my fan-girl moment in question; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124664.msg6016449#msg6016449

Now, on to new business.

I vote for Necrothreat IV, then.

A decision about the voting requirements is now needed.  On the one hand, 10 votes really isn't asking a lot.  On the other hand, this forum has seen significantly reduced activity lately.  On the third hand, a whole year is a seriously long time to get people's attention.  And if you make it to a fourth hand, you're probably a Scorpion Man Adventurer.  I feel that the Hall of Legends really depends upon participation, so barring any serious opposition in the next few months, I am updating the voting requirement to 10, with the support of a few regulars from the previous page.  Necrothreat IV reaches 6 votes, but is not yet a Legend, per the new rule.

Lastly, we have just a week before the 2016 entries are purged.  They can always be resubmitted, but if anything is especially deserving, now is the time to let me know.  Merry New Year!!!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »

+1 for necrothreat 4.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2017, 10:47:52 pm »

In light of the impending changes, my votes are cheaper, so have a +1 to Necrothreat IV. It's already the longest necrothreat by far, and the story is much preferable to III.

Roomcarnage actually has a story, so I'm definitely in favor of keeping it in Stories.

For the preface, I would go, in order of priority:
OP's description (if obtained directly) > Nominator's description (current system) > Immortal-D's description (if no preface is provided by either OP or nominator)

Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 10:53:11 pm by Bearskie »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2017, 11:26:52 pm »

In light of the impending changes, my votes are cheaper, so have a +1 to Necrothreat IV. It's already the longest necrothreat by far, and the story is much preferable to III.

Out of curiosity, what is it you like more about Necrothreat IV's story?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2017, 11:33:40 am »

I'd like to nominate THROWBACK FORTRESS: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156873.msg6863647#msg6863647

Not sure if I'm supposed to give a description with the nomination, but I'll leave this quote from the original thread.

i love how people in this fort thought one extremely flawed flooding device wasn't enough, so they built another extremely flawed flooding device that has to be cleaned up using the first one, which has itself been modified at least twice (once to fix it flooding the fort, and then again to. . . make it flood the fort again. We're good at this.)
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2017, 06:46:43 pm »

Merry everything to everyone :P  The Museum has been moved from Active to Finished.

I'd like to nominate THROWBACK FORTRESS: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156873.msg6863647#msg6863647
Throwback Fortress becomes our first Nominee of December, and most likely the last one of the year.  On that note, please remember that all 2016 entries are getting purged next week.  If any of them are truly deserving, now is the time.

+1 for necrothreat 4.
In light of the impending changes, my votes are cheaper, so have a +1 to Necrothreat IV.
Necrothreat IV moves up to 8 votes.

Roomcarnage actually has a story, so I'm definitely in favor of keeping it in Stories.

For the preface, I would go, in order of priority:
OP's description (if obtained directly) > Nominator's description (current system) > Immortal-D's description (if no preface is provided by either OP or nominator)

Just my two cents.
The story of Roomcarnage is fantastic, to be sure.  I'm personally more taken with the engineering & architecture the author accomplished, but that's just me.  Since it's in Stories already, I guess it can stay there.  Shame there's no dual category, lol.  For descriptions, that seems like a sensible order.  I think I'm gonna add that to the official rules in the OP.

At the risk of being redundant; 2016 entries can always be nominated again later, but in keeping with the 1 year rule, you've only got a week left!  Cheers everyone :)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2017, 08:51:22 pm »

Throwback Fortress becomes our first Nominee of December, and most likely the last one of the year.  On that note, please remember that all 2016 entries are getting purged next week.  If any of them are truly deserving, now is the time.

Err ... I thought I had a year from nomination, not calendar year. I rather revoke this nomination and put it up again in January and then do it again in December since I doubt 10 votes will happen in a week. Especially since it has to sit for a month before it can be voted on, no?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29