Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends, 5th ed. revised  (Read 280737 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends, 5th ed. revised
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2018, 08:38:06 pm »

Greetings all! First and most importantly, some of you may have noticed that I am still wearing my hat.  Well until Chicago stops getting snow, the santa cap is justified.  Also I guess I should do the whole update thing.

One more for Cog
+1
Cog The Blind Drunk is at 6 votes.

Yeah, Ill throw in a vote for whisperwhip. Some of the storytelling is great, and it's also fun to watch someone learning the game and incorporating that into the narrative.
Decided to read whisperwhip. Definitely worth immortalizing in this hall. Put a vote in for it for me.
Another two for Whisperwhip makes 7 votes.

As a reminder, you can mouse-over the dotted lines of each vote tally to see who all has voted.  Assuming we aren't flooded with new users/votes/nominees, see you all next month!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:47:59 pm by Immortal-D »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2018, 10:24:00 am »

o/ I'll support Cog.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2018, 10:18:43 pm »

o/ I'll support Cog.
Cog The Blind Drunk earns another vote!

macca

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2018, 09:11:29 am »

Hi- first post from me.  Sorry if placement is not correct.
Kruggsmash- "Monsterkiller". Great humour, awesome art, beautifully produced, newest version of dwarf fortress.  It gets my vote.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2018, 11:11:52 am »

That's a new category, I think. Kruggsmash is a popular Dwarf Fortress Youtube channel, for anyone considering votes.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2018, 11:03:50 pm »

Monsterkiller is a vote down for me. It's still goin and is new.

However, his Steelclutches Saga is truly the greatest DF Story to ever grace our community.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2018, 07:26:16 am »

If we can vote on something off forum, then yes, I'll vote for Steelclutches (as a whole, for the four seasons). Clearly it deserves a place here.

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2018, 03:20:05 pm »

Steelclutches is down a vote from me.

I feel that if a story is to make it into the Hall of Legends it should be...Legendary.
Compared to Boatmurdered or Cacame...Bad examples, nothing is as good as them

Whisperwhip is a better example. Hilarity and excellent writing with a role-played plot tied in. That's worth a vote (and it has mine).
I feel Steelclutches is standard fare for an evil biome, and not very unique in terms of story.

EDIT: Just ignore that downvote.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:51:37 pm by Tilmar13 »
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2018, 04:14:14 pm »

Steelclutches is down a vote from me.

I feel that if a story is to make it into the Hall of Legends it should be...Legendary.
Compared to Boatmurdered or Cacame...Bad examples, nothing is as good as them.
Whisperwhip is a better example. Hilarity and excellent writing with a role-played plot tied in. That's worth a vote (and it has mine if it needs it).
I feel Steelclutches is standard fare for an evil biome, and not very unique in terms of story. Sorry :/

I don't think you watched the whole saga did you? I pity you, go remedy that problem right now.

Steelclutches Saga: Part 2: The Hero of Balance
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2018, 06:02:45 pm »

-Not a very original story

-Seal-person avatar of balance dancer living with a community of offshoot honey badger and warhogs entertainers.

-Pick only one.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:06:09 pm by Taupe »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2018, 07:10:10 pm »

Not only that, but a lot of things were downright hillarious to me. From the offsprey men getting stuck on trees and having to be reassign to the farmplots so they wouldn't die, to the honeybadgers slaughtering each other out of jaleousy. Stuff was great.

Sure Steelclutches and its sequels are not the most original thing ever, but the narrative is imaginative, and took the author a lot of work for a final product that is worth a shot. 

Also two more things to consider :

• It has an actual end. Not much stories do. Steelclutches has a beggining, a story and an end. The action is a bit all over the place but we follow a clear path. Not a lot of people manage to carry their stories to an end, KM does and that is very cool.
• A lot of the fun comes also from legendviewing the save KM uploaded. Some character had meaningful lives afterward, some were killed outside camera (like the little girl at the end of season one, heroically it seems). Also the badgers...had difficult live and just...need to rest

The overhype is maybe a bit offputting, and I understand some people might be bothered by that (I surely am), so I understand the downvote, but KM is a youtuber so it's part for the course. I still believe Steelclutches should have its place here. Especially considering KM contributed to reshape how DF stories are told.

That's my two cents to expend on my vote, opinions might differ

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2018, 07:48:41 pm »

Tbh, I had just watched the first part (thought it was all fortress mode). The Hero of Balance is pretty clever, but I didn't care for it enough that I'd upvote it. But it's not worth a downvote either so I'll get rid of mine. I judged the book by it's cover.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2018, 08:51:22 pm »

Do the Hall of Legends rules even allow down-voting? I mean, it's hard enough for a story to even get 10 votes in the first place.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2018, 01:42:56 pm »

We reddit now.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2018, 05:16:58 pm »

Hi- first post from me.  Sorry if placement is not correct.
Kruggsmash- "Monsterkiller". Great humour, awesome art, beautifully produced, newest version of dwarf fortress.  It gets my vote.
You've come to the right place!  However, the Monsterkiller series is only 5 months old.  HoL rules state that a story needs to have a bit of staying power, meaning at least 1 year old 6 months old (edit to reflect a rule change).

Do the Hall of Legends rules even allow down-voting? I mean, it's hard enough for a story to even get 10 votes in the first place.
As a matter of fact, it does not.  An entry can have its' status revoked if there evidence of foul play (whatever that may be), or is otherwise found to be against the spirit of the game.
We reddit now.
The hell we do, lol.  So long as I'm running this thread, we are like a billion times more civil and drunk than all of Reddit.  That said, the DF Reddit sub is actually super chill.

If we can vote on something off forum, then yes, I'll vote for Steelclutches (as a whole, for the four seasons). Clearly it deserves a place here.
That's a new category, I think. Kruggsmash is a popular Dwarf Fortress Youtube channel, for anyone considering votes.
Steelclutches is qualified for nomination and has been added to the August Submissions.  You can find the first entry here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p-uqLXoIR4  I also agree that a separate category is required, but I'll figure that out if & when I need to.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:04:06 pm by Immortal-D »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29