Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42040 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Bridgeborn, Land of Bridges)
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2018, 05:13:06 pm »

I believe that up until this point, the priority has been OHGODWEHAVENOFOODTHEREARESKELETONSEVERYWHEREWENEEDWATERANDMAGMAEVERYTHINGISGOINGTOSHITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA over the military.

Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2018, 08:26:37 pm »

Well on the plus side, we need way less food now.

EDIT: I'm sorry for the slow progress. I was more busy than expected, I haven't played DF in forever, and I have no idea how this version works. AKA:, I'm confused and i dont know how to do anything properly. I'll have the first four months written down on Monday.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:54:48 pm by Taupe »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2018, 01:14:37 pm »

EDIT: I'm sorry for the slow progress. I was more busy than expected, I haven't played DF in forever, and I have no idea how this version works. AKA:, I'm confused and i dont know how to do anything properly. I'll have the first four months written down on Monday.

Sounds like a proper DF succession-fort playthrough to me.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2018, 03:36:27 pm »

It's all right. I only start to get annoyed when people don't let me know what real life happens.

Keep up the good work!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2018, 12:57:25 pm »

MID SPRING MADNESS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As I try to address the lack of every single thing, goblins and merchants arrive. Some thieves start popping up on the bridge.

''Do we have a way of raising that bridge?
-Well fuck then.''

Ok, here's a list of people who have been drafted as an emergency measure. EVERYONE.

Except DolosusDoleus, because i cant tell if he's activated or not.

Also except Zanzetsuken, because we need to trade for food while this is taking place.

''Well fuck you!'' Says the broker and former overseer maybe. ''I'm going outside to punch this random goblin thief!''

To our surprise, he does just that.

Not one to be outdone, I charge outside on my own and beat a second goblin thief to a pulp, and promptly fall asleep on the spot of the slaughter.

a random dwarf takes over the trade duty and gets totally shafted by the elven merchants due to his lack of experience.

As I'm resting, more goblins show up to ambush the elves leaving the fortress. Those new invaders have bows, which is a way better weapon than what we've been using: Any form of weapon, training or organisation whatsoever.

The melee goblins proceed to walk into the fortress uninvited. Datan the strange mood dwarfs goes into a melancholic state, because he failed to produce any meaningful craft in his lifetime. Cry me a river, buddy.

Around this time, I wake up to the sounds of being now dead.

The elven caravan has been partly decimated by the invading hammergobs. If the dwarves survive, they may be able to salvage what this tree-hugger was carrying. One additional meal is a blessing in these dire times.

But to reach this point, our dwarves must first formulate a plan. They are low on booze, low on food, low on training, they have no weapons and nobody knows how to order squads around.

''What if we just ignored all the problems and did nothing?''

Two months pass. The fortress is sacked by hammergoblins and greenface wrestlers. The dwarves mostly just ignore them, or pick up random fights. Somehow it works. Apathy is a flimsy but deadly weapon.

Some migrants show up, twenty of them. Our population is now much higher than it was once this whole mess started. It's time to play the national sport of Bridgeborn: how the fuck do we get food or drinks for all those idiots?

At least the goblin archers finally left the area...

Thankfully, a human caravan shows up in the middle of summer, with promises of berries and whatbot. A quick meeting between the expedition leader and the guild representative takes place.

''Let's discuss your situati--
-Food food food booze food booze food booze food booze food.
-Here's a list of--
-Booze food berries booze grain fod booze food
-A list of various items--
-food food food food food
-...ranked from 1 to six
-food booze food boooze booze food
-...Know what, I'll just put a lot of sixes in booze and food.''
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:00:57 pm by Taupe »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2018, 01:14:06 pm »

There are two levers in the dining hall that control the two bridges at the trade depot level.  If I recall correctly, they are marked by notes.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2018, 02:56:19 pm »

So... how many dwarves are there left?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2018, 03:31:32 pm »

With the migrants, I believe we are over 40. I was miraculously the only named casualty.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:35:41 pm by Taupe »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2018, 02:21:12 pm »

Up to winter now. Sarrak and NCommander just intimidated an army into surrendering. With their fists.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2018, 02:29:23 pm »

Best commodity negotiations ever.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2018, 02:48:01 pm »

I'll be posting the final story as well as the save on monday, unless I'm busy at work at which point it will be for Tuesday. hope that's okay with you guys.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »

I'll be posting the final story as well as the save on monday, unless I'm busy at work at which point it will be for Tuesday. hope that's okay with you guys.

It’s fine. Do what you have to.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2018, 11:03:05 pm »

I recently arrived at the fortress of Bridgeborn. Upon setting foot in the fortress, I was told to pick up thrash and carry it to the stockpiles.

I picked up a sock, and carried it over to the stockpile.

I then picked up a leg and carried it to the refuse stockpile.

I then picked up some square wooden peg or whatever and carried it to the...

''Hey that's the overseer staff!''

I stared in confusion.

''Hey everyone this dude is the new overseer!''

Oh...

Oooookay. sure, whatever. I'll run this place. I'm a lye maker. My life is basically making up a lie about how making up lye is actually a job, and thats why I can't do other works. I'll just point at things and tell people to do them.

''hey why is this guy working so slow?
-Oh thats nogoodgames, he's missing a lung.''

I don't like Bridgeborn.

My first act as overseer was to decomission an old opening in our walls that the masons used to access the outside in order to work on a useless dome project, before sealing themselves inside the dome and dying of thirst.

It basically saved the fortress because a dozen goblins are sitting atop the now patched hole leading to the heart of this unprotected hamlet.

i also made sure at least one of the masons made it out, and we had time to retrieve and bury his teamates. Good planning, whomever devised this super useful statue building.

I look outside and spot random goblins murdering people.

''hey guys, maybe dont go outside and pick up random shit while the siege is taking place!''

''So what's going on around here? What are those noises outside?
-Oh that, that would be the goblin invaders.
-Shouldn't the army take care of this?
-What?
-The army.
-The what?''

I don't like Bridgeborn.

More goblins are showing up everywhere.

My enthusiasm for this settlement is as high as our military organisation right now.

The goblins are not going anywhere. the archers sit outside our trade depot while the melee fighters run around and kill stragglers.

Raise the bridges at all cost!

WAIT!

I'm sitting on the bridge for some reason!

Cancel the project!

People run around and go outside like idiots. I fall asleep on the bridge, because overseeing is hard work, yo.

I wake up, and half the fortress is stuck outside.

Raise the bridges! Fuck everyone else, I dont even know them.

Hey you, the sleeping dude in the middle of a siege, yeah you! You're now in the army.

Nccomander is activated.

And you, random dude running around for his life, you are his second in command!

Sarrak is activated.

At least I dont know them enough to miss them.

Nccomander wakes up, and decides to charge the entire army of fifteen with his second Sarrak in toe.

The fools.

The archers have run out of arrows while shooting at skeletal goats, or other dwarves.

Nccomander and Sarrak pounce into the frey, punching a guy so hard that his friends panic and leave the battlefield altogether.

What.

The.

Fuck.

Note to self, never piss off this guy.

And just like that, The entire army ups and leave. That was frankly amazing. I lower the bridge, and soon the stragglers return to the fortress in time to carry goods to the trade depots. the human caravans have arrived.

some guys running around like idiots spotted a copper vein to the north. I send a few miners to gather it, and dispatch the rest of the fortress to pick up random trash while we can.

A thief steals the only steel armor we have, while a glassmaker goes slowly insane because we simply cant make what he needs. Fuck you too, buddy.

The rest of the year goes back swimingly. I trade a few things to secure food and drinks for these hungry coworkers of mine, tidy up the place, build a few more stockpiles and bins, and start smoothing out the sleeping area.

As spring draws near, our drink supplies are running dangerously low, and we have no water. the injured dwarves are all but destined to die, im afraid. some people spotted giant skeletal monsters but so far they cause no trouble.

On the last day of my term, I name myself bookeeper to avoid any work in the future. The time has come to get rid of this staff, and pass all my problems to the next--

''Oh shit what is this noise!''

The very second that winter turns to spring, a giant eagle swwops in and kills me instantly.

I don't like Bridgeborn.

SAVE HERE:http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13453

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2018, 09:10:24 am »

Heheh, nice epic ending to the year.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2018, 07:35:59 pm »

On a slighty related note, I need a dorfing. Again.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21