Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42048 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Starting very soon! Sign up now!)
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 04:07:15 pm »

Exerpt from the journal of "DolosusDoleus" Sibrekmomuz, Expedition Leader

Considering that we're in the middle of bleeding nowhere, I've taken it upon myself to make sure that we all don't die horribly. Strike the earth!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently there are giant eagles here. As if things couldn't get any worse. Already things look pretty terrible. First off, we're in the middle of a wasteland, and there's not a tree to be found, except for all the way down in the corner. Now, I would have the lads go off and chop some of those trees down, but it looks like there's a bunch a' skeletons down there, and I don't want anything to do with 'em.

Additionally, I can't really say what's up with the lizard men. There's no water around here, where would they be? Either way, Atis swears that he can sense that yes, there were definitely lizard men around here and yes, they are most certainly dead. Whatever, that's the least of our problems.

I've started digging out the side of the mountain with NCommander, so that we can get inside nice and safe-like. Those skeletal goats are getting a little too close for my taste.

A few weeks later

So it looks like we may have run into a wee bit of a problem. Namely, WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH FOOD!

Have to say, I was expecting a little more soil that this. So: new plan.

1. Dig for the soil
2. Plant farms
3. Avoid undead goats and apparently slug men as well.

Because this could take a while, I've ordered that our two livestock animals be butchered, and the butcher's shop be walled up shortly afterwards. I've seen those skeletal goats, and I don't want to know if that'll be the case with our skeletons.

A few weeks later still

Finally! After what seems like a bazillion goddamn years, we've managed to mine all the way to the soil, and have started planting our fields.

I'm just glad we haven't run into the skeletons yet. I just know that it'll end up going very, very badly.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Sign up now!)
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 04:31:14 pm »

PTW
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 09:26:16 pm »

No need to wall up the butcher shop. Undead don't resurrect in this version. That was a DF2012 improvement.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 01:41:20 pm »

I'll take a turn. I've never played 40d so this should be fun.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 10:06:32 pm »

I'll take a turn. I've never played 40d so this should be fun.

Yer in!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 04:16:22 pm »

Toss me in for a turn  Maybe this time I can actually do something major for the fort.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 06:36:43 pm »

Toss me in for a turn  Maybe this time I can actually do something major for the fort.

Ye be in!

Second (and possibly final?) write-up coming maybe today, but in all likelihood tomorrow.

Also after some wiki-diving, I've learned that apparently adamantine can only be found in mountains in this version, and is fairly common(ish?) in mountain regions. So yay!

EDIT: Oh dear god this is bad

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:12:38 pm by DolosusDoleus »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 08:58:04 pm »

Got enough skeletons there, have you?

PTW
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 12:24:11 am »

So, we've finally got the food situation under control. Thank god for that.

Meanwhile, I was informed by the rest of the lads that the yak and horse corpses we're moving around or reanimating. However, I'm still not gonna open up the butcher's shop. Thing's fulla some foul odors, and I don't particularly want to deal with that.

Due to the fact that we can't gain access to trees very easily, I've decreed that finding access to a source of water and magma is of the utmost necessity. Exploratory excavations to find them are currently underway.

In the meantime, the mountain goats are back. This time with a skeletal giant eagle. Delightful.

We've also constructed a trade depot. I'm not sure if there are any civilizations nearby, or if any of them would even know where we are, but better safe than sorry.

Also, the fortress received no migrants this season. While not unexpected due to us not having much contact with any local dwarven civilizations, it still makes things a tad difficult.

A few weeks later

Autumn has come!

Our search for any underground rivers or magma deposits is going well! We've managed to cut out a large part of the underground and... what's this?

OH DEAR GOD NO

Uh, okay. Fuck that. We're walling that up, and I'm declaring this to be a "later" problem.

Dear god, look at this thing. Are those bottomless pits at the bottom?

Slightly after panickedly walling off the cavern, one of the lads said there was a dwarven caravan coming our way! By the gods, we are saved!

Hmmm. So, okay. These dwarves are from some civilization called Atis Thidas, which I have never heard of. After declaring that our fortress shall be called "Bridgeborn" (A pretty stupid name if you ask me, but whaddaya gonna do?), they opened up a trade deal. I asked for all the goddamn seeds and wood they could possibly send us.

In the meantime, one of the guards has been chasing around a (non-skeletal) Giant Eagle. For some reason, it isn't tearing him to shreds. I'm okay with this, as it means he won't stupidly draw it over to the entrance of the fortress.

After I spoke with the liason, I took the time to check out the cavern we uncovered. Is that a skeletal troll?

In other news, the traders made some requests for us, and there are no migrants this season either. Hopefully our discovery will soon change that fact.

And the merchants are gone! Go forth fellow dwarves, and let this strange new world know of our existence!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:30:14 am by DolosusDoleus »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 02:19:39 am »

Well that was mildly exciting. I take it you're digging for candy? Nice advantage for mountains indeed.

PS: What are those cinnabar slabs  in the caverns?

PPS: I take it you forgot to smooth the boulders in front of depot?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 03:00:03 am »

Dorf me! Military! Death and Emptiness!

EDIT: Sarrak:Military:Deathseeker:Male
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:27:36 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2017, 01:08:07 pm »

40d, my first time playing DF was with 40d.   I forgot you needed to hit space bar to exit everything.  But I sure do miss the simpler stats of strong agile and tough. 

Dwarf me please.
(Banjo):(NoneSpecified):(NoneSpecified):(NoneSpecified)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:03:02 pm by Xyon »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 01:47:18 pm »

Well that was mildly exciting. I take it you're digging for candy? Nice advantage for mountains indeed.

PS: What are those cinnabar slabs  in the caverns?

PPS: I take it you forgot to smooth the boulders in front of depot?

1. Well, for candy, water, and magma. There’s constantly a pack of slug/snailmen/giant eagles by the trees, and so an alternative means of gathering wood and magma smelting would be ideal. But with my luck both are probably on the other side of the chasm.

2. Idk

3. Yep. I forgot you have to do that in rocky areas ._.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 06:22:57 pm »

There's cave spider webs growing in the tunnels! Should we want to start weaving silk, that'll be extremely useful!

Additionally, scouting reports have found that there is gold within the chasm! Also will likely be very useful.

I've ordered the boulders outside the trade depot to be smoothed, as the caravan's wagons were not able to reach it because of them.

A few weeks later

Winter is here! To commemorate the occasion, I've decided to dig myself a nice tomb. Nothing too fancy, just lots of smoothed walls, statues, cabinets and the like.

In the meantime, I've ordered additional tunnels dug out in order to find an underground river or some magma. Unfortunately, we've nothing as of yet.

Thieves! Scoundrels! Come back with our... lignite blocks? Why did we even have that?

Why is there food just sitting here in this hallway? This is going to go bad!

A few weeks later still

The lads say that the snows are startin' to melt, and that spring is here.

Now, as according to ancient dwarven tradition, I'm to pass off the title of Overseer to another trusty dwarf. Good riddance too, this whole overseeing thing is way too stressful for me. I'm just gonna go back to the one thing I know: mining.

save

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 07:42:10 pm »

Save is claimed, though I don't expect to play much if any tonight or tomorrow. First update is likely Sunday.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21