Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42483 times)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Bridgeborn, Land of Bridges)
« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2018, 08:28:26 am »

Am I currently in the military?
No, Rockeater is the only named military dwarf now.
Add me to the military then? I wanted to be Deathseeker, after all  :D
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2018, 11:33:01 pm »

It turns out you actually are in a squad lead by NCommander II. I guess you can be the elite squad while the peasant militia remain meatshields.

================================================================

As expected, the hapless glassmaker has gone mad. He's babbling a lot, but doesn't seem violent. I'm letting him free for now, maybe he'll snap out of it. If not, DolosusDoleus could use some practice handling lawbreakers.

A giant skeletal eagle has been terrorizing dwarves near the great bridge, causing mass construction delays. Normally I'd say they're being melodramatic and yell at them to get back to work, but this thing is goddamn terrifying. One of the peasants tried to fight back, and the eagle tore him clean in half! I'm dispatching both militia squads, hopefully they can swarm it and take it down before there are any more fatalities.

A couple militia were on the bridge when the order went out. Only one made it back. From what he told me, the other recruit, Fikod, charged the eagle. The eagle then grabbed him, threw him off the bridge and then just started tearing him apart. There are now chunks of dwarf flesh littering the bridge's base. After that, the eagle flew up into the tower. At least if it's in there, it can't fly as easily.

Meanwhile, Rockeater has conveniently chosen this time to take a drink, taking his squad with him. Honestly, I don't blame him for not wanting to go out there.

The eagle, now known as "Nettlesteppes", chased a child through the tower and past the trade depot. NCommander II charged in and... ran right past it. Sarrak, the only other member of NCommander's squad after Fikod's death, was close behind and thankfully less oblivious. He has a sword and got a few quick strikes in, but unless he gets backup fast this doesn't look good.

NCommander finally realized that the dragon-sized undead bird of prey was probably the thing he was supposed to attack. Sarrak was on the ground and getting torn up, but the new combatant distracted the monster long enough for him to recover. He thrust his sword up into the beast's chest with enough force to launch it to the top of the wall. The evil glow in the eagle's eye sockets immediately went out and it crumbled to a pile of dust and bone.

After that display of heroism, I think I may have changed my mind in regards to a standing army. My tower may be devious enough to foil goblin sieges, but there will always be situations where a more active response is required. Sarrak shall be honored as a true hero. He has a few chunks missing, and plenty of cuts and bruises, but nothing too serious. I pray he heals before our lack of water becomes an issue.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2018, 11:54:00 pm »

Did no one even attempt to funnel the water out of the ponds into a underground cistern before they dried up?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2018, 12:12:19 am »

Am I currently in the military?
No, Rockeater is the only named military dwarf now.
Add me to the military then? I wanted to be Deathseeker, after all  :D

You are that one dwarf that punched a goblin so hard on my turn that the entire siege disbanded and fled in terror.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2018, 02:33:25 am »

You are that one dwarf that punched a goblin so hard on my turn that the entire siege disbanded and fled in terror.
And now I brought down giant skeletal abomination. Can't live without heroics.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2018, 12:34:51 pm »

I believe you were chosen for the squad under NCommander because you were naked, strapped outside, and also asleep when the siege was taking place. You didn't choose the thug life, it definitely chose you.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2018, 02:30:08 pm »

I believe you were chosen for the squad under NCommander because you were naked, strapped outside, and also asleep when the siege was taking place. You didn't choose the thug life, it definitely chose you.
When life tries to kill you - you punch it in the face. Then repeat.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2018, 11:49:11 pm »

+++ Overseer's Log: Final Entry +++

Well, that bit of excitement has certainly put us behind schedule. Nevertheless, I am determined to finish the tower before the end of my term. I can reshuffle the workers, make a few design compromises, work a bit smarter. We should be fine as long as there are no more distractions.

...shit.

Thankfully, neither of the militia commanders were preoccupied with drinking or sleeping, so only one dwarf died before they reached the scene. The eagle had been flying around the tower, gloating, but decided to engage when it saw the militia. Things are... not going well.

Rockeater managed to score a killing blow, sending the eagle tumbling down to the base of the tower where it exploded in a shower bone splinters. Unfortunately, not before it managed to kill one recruit, take another's hand and grievously wound NCommander II.

Without water, the two wounded are as good as dead. Sarrak is also getting thirsty down in the barracks. All miners have been reassigned to exploratory mining, we need to find that river!

Obsidian comes with no sign of relief. Soon it will be Spring, and I will be back to my woodworking, no longer concerned with governing this godsforsaken pit. I never wanted this job but I admit, it has grown on me. If only I could end this year on a note of triumph! Unfortunately, none seems forthcoming. The tower will likely need to be completed by the next overseer. The water search continues, but with no success. Sarrak is getting dehydrated and seems on the way to an ignoble end, along with NCommander II and the other casualty.

Another giant eagle has been sighted. Is there no end to our torment?

Fortunately, it seems to be ignoring us for now. Oh, and the moody glassmaker died of hunger. With our brave defenders wasting away in bed due to their injuries, you'll have to forgive me if I can't spare some tears for the guy who chose to starve himself rather than wait a few months for some glass.

About that eagle ignoring us? Yeah, probably said that too soon. Run, Taupe!

Oh god, it's in the fort!

Everyone, dogpile it!

It was a flurry of dwarf limbs and bones. The damn thing put up a hell of a fight, screeching like the winds of the abyss the whole time. We managed to pin it, and someone ripped its head off, but not before it killed a dwarf and a pet mule.

With that, the year comes to a close. Miraculously, the tower has almost been completed, with just a few small bits that need to be cleaned up. I've drafted up the trap layout. Not as many swinging aces as I would like, but it'll do.

Spoiler: Tower Layout (click to show/hide)

Well, it's time for me to step back and pass the reigns to the next overseer. I don't envy them. I'm going to chuck this stupid bed post into the chasm, take a walk around my tower, and then get back to my carpentry bench. How I've missed the simple joys of plying my craft, not having to worry that at any moment someone might come barreling towards me screaming about the latest crisis.

===================================================

Well, that took a lot longer than I intended.

Here's the save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13535
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 02, 2018, 01:57:22 am »

What a beautiful year,  and I only died once at that!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 02, 2018, 05:53:48 am »

Dwarven healthcare is at its finest. I only hope for a miracle - to be able to crawl away from the horror that is our medical wing.

If I do perish, dwarf me as before, Deathseeker army recruit #2.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 02, 2018, 07:57:20 am »

Hows my humble farmdwarf banjo doing? The farms doing well?

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 02, 2018, 09:38:30 am »

Nice job!

Sending PM to Crocatowa.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 02, 2018, 10:37:14 am »

I'll be picking it up this afternoon or tomorrow!
I look forward to the carnage fun
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 02, 2018, 02:34:32 pm »

So... I loaded the save into my good ol' 40d and I appear to have MikeMayday's pack installed, though I think this was before the graphics packs would get baked into the saves. Just a heads up before I start posting screen shots, lol
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2018, 05:03:13 pm »

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 1st Granite, 111***
I was walking around the lower levels today trying to clear my head.
Freaking skeleton eagles, goblin raids, ELVES... I really can't remember why I decided it was a good idea to come here...

Well, anyway, a dog padded up to me, I remember seeing this one around somewhere upstairs. He was kinda cute. But in his mouth he was carrying a big stick! It looked almost like a bed post, the knob of it almost too large for the dog's mouth. He dropped it at my feet and started wagging his tail like he wanted me to play fetch with him. Why not?

No sooner do I pick up the stick, does Zasit show up calling "Shem! Oh She-em! Where are you boy?!"
He comes around the corner and comes to a halt. Not because he sees his dog, but because he can't stop laughing!

I cocked my head at him slightly and when he calmed down he just turned and started walking away, "See you upstairs, *snicker* Overseer"

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 3rd Granite, 111***
I was just taking a walk. A SIMPLE G******M WALK!
I was trying to LOWER MY STRESS LEVELS!!!
How do they think I stay so calm and collected?

Anyway.... I was given a massive stack of papers by some guy I've literally never seen before, he told me this was his report on our supplies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So... We have no protein to speak of (Do plants have protein? Does Ale?) and we can't go outside to hunt...
Each leader before me has spoken of this underground water source that may save us all, so I've decided that is all our miners should do for now: FIND IT. Salmon would be lovely right about now...

P.S. And it could help the sick/wounded? I thought alcohol was good against infections, but I'm no doctor.

P.P.S. And maybe find some nice rocks. But we haven't managed to turn those into food yet, so I'll hold out for the river.

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 5th Granite, 111***
I need an office. With all of the work that needs doing, not having a treasurer or manager is proving to be among the worst organizational decisions of past rulers. Thinking they could handle all that themselves... sheesh...

So I told the kitchen to just produce as many easy meals as they can, and that they can cook the plump helmets... for now... Maybe they can come up with something somewhat tasty... I also added 2 more miners to the river search efforts: a couple of stoneworkers with nothing to do. Why smooth stone to make it pretty when you can be useful and find our salvation?

With all of the clothing and other nonsense strewn about, I also set up construction of barrels and blocks and bins and all sorts of nice things to hopefully tidy up somewhat. Lets clean up the turds instead of trying to polish them, you know?

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 6th Granite, 111***
Lost a wounded peasant to thirst...
I fear this may be the first of many.

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 7th Granite, 111***
The human trader finally stopped drinking our booze long enough to have a meeting to discuss trade.
They want us to basically export our weapons and defenses. I honestly nearly pissed myself laughing when I heard that.

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 8th Granite, 111***

Lots of new rocks found now that we have 4 people mining. Still no river though... Maybe the surveyors were full of it...

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 9th Granite, 111***
Elves! To trade with us!
I told everybody to grab all the junk we had and see if the tree huggers were interested in them. Things like rock toys and stuff. These pointy eared morons are suckers for some good ol' rocks. Right?

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 11th Granite, 111***
BY THE MIGHTY BEARD OF ARMOK!!!

There are imps and crap all around! Seal that thing off!!!!
Oh how nice, they're skeletal...
I'd like my one-way ticket to Nopesville, please!

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 12th Granite, 111***
Okay, maybe it's not so bad... I designated fortifications to be put in so we can see what they're up to, canceled the surrounding search grid, and we'll just have to be patient from there for the moment... This magma will be quite useful really soon, but we need to find the water...

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 12th Granite, 111***
I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG!!!!!
Well... Rockeater decided to be standing on the wrong side of the fortification he put in... and was promptly attacked by a creature I can only describe as "FIRE INCARNATE"

Snapped his neck like a twig... I'm so sorry Rockeater...

Two, now, have passed under my leadership in 10 days...
I need a drink....

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 16th Granite, 111***
Skeletal Sasquatch. Now I've seen it all
I just need to forbid everything that's outside. I thought someone had already done that prior but apparently not...
He hit someone, some peasant... and I've activated a squad of peasants... maybe they can take him down?

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 19th Granite, 111***

The squad still hadn't organized at the location...

But the beast is distracted by Amost the mule, so... Maybe we can get organized..
Run Mule!!! Run!!!

Squad got it! Though we have a wounded soldier... *sigh*

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 21st Granite, 111***
Traded all those dumb crafts for some ale and some more berries and things, and seeds, because maybe we can plant things one day... And some wooden arrows... Dumb elves didn't have anything else useful, but hey, got rid of some rock clutter (gotta find that silver lining, right?)

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 24th Granite, 111***
Another Kobold thief tried to sneak in... That running mule spotted him and sent him running!

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 25th Granite, 111***
Taupe V decided that all statues must remain within the fortress.... Okay then...
Oh, and remember those bins and barrels I requested? Not a single one has been made yet

***The Diary of Crocatowa - 27th Granite, 111***
Nogoodgames is having some sort of mood...
He took over our one carpenter's shop and just started screaming about random crap!
Logs, Cut Gems, and Leather Hides... I think we might actually have everything he wants.....

***END GRANITE DIARY ENTRIES***

EDIT: Typo and some formatting
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:44:29 pm by Crocatowa »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21