Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42600 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)
« Reply #270 on: April 11, 2018, 11:47:13 am »

That pic for the pan for lava pump stack is a second photo of the water pump stack plan.
Whoops! I fixed it now.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #271 on: April 11, 2018, 08:32:38 pm »

Don't forget, this map only has a magma pool, so there is a finite supply - take care not to use it all up, or there will be much sadness.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 11, 2018, 10:27:08 pm »

Don't forget, this map only has a magma pool, so there is a finite supply - take care not to use it all up, or there will be much sadness.

Oh, did not know that. There might be a way to devise a system so that magma is only at level 1 throughout the reservoir, so as to use the minimum possible amount.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #273 on: April 11, 2018, 10:52:36 pm »

Oh, did not know that. There might be a way to devise a system so that magma is only at level 1 throughout the reservoir, so as to use the minimum possible amount.

Level 1 magma will evaporate, it also may cause FPS issues as the pool will no longer be 7/7 and have a flow :/

We might be best off just leaving the pool as is aside from metalworks, unless someone knows a way to duplicate magma.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 11, 2018, 11:06:13 pm »

What I could actually do is put a 7x smaller reservoir on top of the big one, fill that up with magma, then dump that into the bigger reservoir to spread it out, then immediately afterwards dump that on top of the farm chamber. That way the magma will be at level 1 only momentarily, preventing evaporation and FPS issues.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 12, 2018, 12:55:06 am »

Since this is an underground river, it will work for making a towercap farm. Wood was a precious commodity in .40d, and safe harvesting underground would be swell.

Is there a clowncar on this site?

Also, I do in fact want to play next.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:57:28 am by wierd »

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 12, 2018, 06:04:23 am »

Yeah, I'm not really sure farming obsidion is really nessisary, its neat for sure, but magma powered industry for metal and glass is better

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 12, 2018, 02:41:20 pm »

Yeah, I'm not really sure farming obsidion is really nessisary, its neat for sure, but magma powered industry for metal and glass is better

Someone already set up a magma reservoir for magma furnaces before me, but I don't think we have magma glass forges. Is there sand on the map? I didn't see any myself.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 12, 2018, 03:09:29 pm »

Yes, I suppose I did.  I don't remember any sand either, but we could trade for sand if we ever wanted to. I dunno, limited resource of magma just makes me not want to waste it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2018, 03:41:32 pm »

Okay, how about the obsidian farm will only be used in the case of a siege (as a trap), at the discretion of the current overseer. I could additionally add an option to only dump magma onto the invaders, so we can recover the magma and use it again and again. It'd stop us from getting the goblinite, but we'd use up less magma than we normally would.

Or would we? The pump only retrieves magma from its source tile, so by the time the level gets to 1/7 throughout the reservoir the pump would stop working. All the magma left (which would be about as much as we'd use if we did the obsidian trap) would evaporate. Hmm, I'll add the option anyway.

Also, the hippies just arrived, and according to the civilization screen we're friends with pretty much everybody, even the goblins and kobolds. Should I invite the !!FUN!! and offer the elves some nice wooden trinkets?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2018, 06:09:55 pm »

...we could trade for sand if we ever wanted to.
No you can't - sand didn't become a trade good until version 0.31.01, so the only way to get in 40d is to gather it yourself.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 12, 2018, 10:41:58 pm »

IIRC, the "tunnel fungus produces soil tile when grown on muddied rock" issue was present in .40d
I have downloaded the appropriate version, I can test.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 16, 2018, 05:27:42 am »

Ah, yeah, well don't let any of that stop you from finishing your turn, its your turn after all, part of the fun is other people dealing with it heh.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 19, 2018, 08:46:56 am »

bump? update?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 19, 2018, 12:02:38 pm »

I am waiting for the save to be available. *shrug*
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21