Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42043 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Bridgeborn, Land of Bridges)
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2017, 04:07:17 pm »

I have to ask, are quantum stockpiles one of the allowed exploits?  The rate boulders are being produced in this version by legendary miners means that I really don't think they can all be fit in a regular stockpile in any other way.

Why do you think we have a giant tower in the middle of the map? I had to do *something* with the massive amounts of boulders. An advantage is 40d long predates the hauling nerfs so it's much easier to build absurdly huge masonry projects. Simply set an ore stockpile and boot regular stone out of it. Until we find magma, I recommend clearcutting and buying logs off the elves for charcoal. That being said, tree cap diplomacy worked in 40d, and since one tree == one log, it's actually fairly easily to piss off the elves, and wooden arrows can be surprisingly lethal in this version.

For the central tower, I was debating either having a trading stockpile or a barrack on it. Being able to avoid cave adaption for the fort is a great thing. I partially dug out and reconstructed the central stairs which will help but isn't a perfect solution. Light/Inside will prevent cave adoption in this version, Light/outside is needed to reverse it.

I never considered quantum stockpiles to be an exploit because pre-minecarts, they were fiddly to work with to say the least. If you really want to get rid of the stone, atomsmashing works nicely. Due to the low carrying weight in these versions, stone crafts are also not a bad way to make stone leave the map since crafts are very very light and you can make a good amount of stone disappear into a cavarn.

As a note though, since we don't have an infinite magma source on the map (the vent will *not* replenish if its depleted), stone is finite. Not that's usually a big deal.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2017, 05:15:44 pm »

I might suggest a 3 level quantom dump. The top level of course being the level where dwarfs dump from, the middle level being a retracting bridge that holds the dumped items, its linked to a lever so you can drop them down when you want without risking someone being underneath the drop zone when items are dumped, then of course the bottom level is where the items eventually end up and can be safe to access and still have items being dumped when the bridge is not retracted

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2017, 07:12:05 pm »

Felsite 25, 108

Much of the mining for the bedrooms has been completed, but the sheer scale of the stone produced by the Dolosus and Ncommander means that I've needed to do some slight modifications to the prior work orders in order to clear out the stone into a single stockpile everything gets thrown into.  We apparently have around five thousand boulders in the fortress, right now, and with further mining that number will only grow.

Some migrants came around.  A blacksmith known as Lokum Soloziteb, a no skilled peasant by the name of Sakul Rithsalul, an engraver named Fikod Rakustorshar, a craftsdwarf named Lokum Tinothstakud, a marksdwarf named Datan Adilkobel, another zero skill peasant named Ducim Kadolstorlut, a fish dissector named Dakost Mistemidith, a third zero skill peasant named Kubuk Dodokfikod, a fellow ranger named Tun Likotarban, a bowyer named Meng Logemlanlar, a siege engineer named Logem Thoblotol, a wood burner named Mistem Ngotolkol, a fourth peasant by the name of Iden Asiton, a woodcrafter named Likot Zozkol, a cheesemaker named Zuglar Vabokvush, another wood burner by the name of Kogan Coggigin, a fifth no skill peasant by the name of Stakud Bunembim, a child named Erith Mesirlor, a woodcrafter named Muthkat Tobzolak, a trapper named Oddom Rilemcatten, a dyer named Sigun Cogdur, another child named Libash Kubukshadmal, and a third child named Bomrek Kuletzalis.  Yep, twenty-three new dwarves when we are already a bit tight on food and don't have any bedrooms up yet.

I'm assigning them all to help get rid of all this stone.  In addition to this and their base roles, I made the fish dissector, peasants, engraver and craftsdwarf into masons and engravers, the marksdwarf into a miner, the woodcrafters were assigned to carpentry and woodcutting, filled out all smithing roles in the blacksmith's repitoire, gave the ranger a butchery job, ordered the bowyer into mechanics, told the siege engineer to learn how to operate what they make, and got the dyer, trapper, cheesemaker, and wood burners the same duties as the rest of the farmers.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Felsite 31, 108
Saw Ncommander idling in the new dining hall.  Apparently he and Dolosus ran out of stuff to mine.  Well, then, have digging out this Grand Mausoleum, also known as future proofing for later overseers.  Sheer scale should prevent it from filling up with bodies, though I very much have my doubts about this, and if invaders somehow get in, the complete confusion of the passageways should allow for us to break up some of the bastards.

Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2017, 10:57:05 pm »

Very very nice.

A few reminders for this version.
 - You probably want to dig out rooms for a baron, dungeon master, tax collector, and mayor sooner rather than later. Unhappiness vs stress means that shit can get seriously bad.
 - Dungeon master will show up when we hit 50 dwarfs since we already found a map feature (the chasm)
   - DM will let us train exotic animals so it's a good thing to have him around
      - Expect every single cape in your fortress to disappear.
 - The economy will fire when we hit 80 dwarfs.
 - The hammerer will show up at the same time. Make sure the jail is setup, else things will get bad

I recommend building a barrack for the royal and fortress guards. In this version, neither can be ordered, and any solder in those squads will act as though they're stood down but training. If you actually want them to be useful, stick their barrack somewhere on the freeway (perhaps on the first pylon where it turns) since they'll attack enemies in line of site.

Keeping some low rent rooms and low rent food is important.

Also, any heros/elites will not be able to be stood down. We'll be due for a few moods soon. Odds are we're going to get a crapton of legendary masons. Most of the fortress has some masonry skill.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2017, 11:24:55 pm »

Very very nice.

A few reminders for this version.
 - You probably want to dig out rooms for a baron, dungeon master, tax collector, and mayor sooner rather than later. Unhappiness vs stress means that shit can get seriously bad.
 - Dungeon master will show up when we hit 50 dwarfs since we already found a map feature (the chasm)
   - DM will let us train exotic animals so it's a good thing to have him around
      - Expect every single cape in your fortress to disappear.
 - The economy will fire when we hit 80 dwarfs.
 - The hammerer will show up at the same time. Make sure the jail is setup, else things will get bad

I recommend building a barrack for the royal and fortress guards. In this version, neither can be ordered, and any solder in those squads will act as though they're stood down but training. If you actually want them to be useful, stick their barrack somewhere on the freeway (perhaps on the first pylon where it turns) since they'll attack enemies in line of site.

Keeping some low rent rooms and low rent food is important.

Also, any heros/elites will not be able to be stood down. We'll be due for a few moods soon. Odds are we're going to get a crapton of legendary masons. Most of the fortress has some masonry skill.

The food and drink situation is still riding on the barest of threads right now, an actually somewhat decent meeting hall is still under construction, I've got bedrooms set up for maybe one-quarter of the dwarves, I have yet to get the fortress defenses to the point where we could defend ourselves decently, there are still rocks everywhere, a dedicated officer for even the manager hasn't yet been set up, industry is basically nothing, and there isn't a single barracks on the entire map.  This fortress is currently a trainwreck in progress and you are now telling me I have about half a year, from where I am, at best to prepare for this stuff!?  I'm not giving up, but I better get some kind of medal if I can pull us out of this shit without deliberately slaughtering dwarves to push back the deadlines of those events.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2017, 02:01:09 pm »

Send a herbalist and some hunters out; we have crossbows and ammo, which should help with the food sitrep somewhat. Plant gathering is surprisingly powerful; if we can find the underground river, we can also release the spores and get a nice collection of underground crops and seeds. Once we find the river, we can also add fish to the menu.

Nobles do get replaced in this version (if the baron dies, we get a new one) so if we loose one it's not a disaster.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2017, 05:10:39 pm »

Hematite 15, 108

Well, we've experienced a bit of interesting karma today.  NCommander died of thirst right next to a drink barrel.  At first I wondered exactly how the hell that was possible, as we have a total of fifty drinks lying around, but the solution has presented itself.  Simply put, the crisis resulted in us having drinks in only a couple of barrels.  Given the propensity to drink directly from barrels we dwarves have and the number of thristy dwarves thanks to that massive migrant wave, by the time he managed to get to a barrel, he died.

This is...concerning.  He wasn't the only one still thirsty, so his death may herald the coming of a fair number of dead dwarves.  Rain still strangely has yet to come, and working to fix known problems means I haven't really had much time to figure out where in the world the underground river is.

Just one more concern to add to the mountain.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »

@NCommander: I didn't expect the bridges.

...Sorry, that may have been misunderstood.

I didn't expect the dwarven superhighfreeway!
Making the dwarven lands conform to your desires, you.

And, geez, plant gathering choices weren't so great in 0.28.

PS: Poor kitten.

I'm surprised the fort had hunters. They must be all gone now, though.

...Whoa! The dwarves in this version were serious about wanting variety.

Nice trade outpost. Shame about lack of water or magma. A year of digging, and nothing? 6x6 is large.

@Zanzetkuken:

Nicely turned noble into an insult.

Injecting miasma into a public dormitory seems like a pretty decent idea for adding some unhappiness. Just slaughter some war pets of fragile dwarves and hope they'll not just stoically take it. Though this is the opposite of being nice to the dwarves.

When it comes to water flooding, maybe precede the tunnels by diagonally leading ramps.

The mausoleum is nice. The stone amount is enormous.

Fun situation with barrels. I don't think goblets worked in this version, did they?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2017, 10:45:44 pm »

Hematite 15, 108

Well, we've experienced a bit of interesting karma today.  NCommander died of thirst right next to a drink barrel.  At first I wondered exactly how the hell that was possible, as we have a total of fifty drinks lying around, but the solution has presented itself.  Simply put, the crisis resulted in us having drinks in only a couple of barrels.  Given the propensity to drink directly from barrels we dwarves have and the number of thristy dwarves thanks to that massive migrant wave, by the time he managed to get to a barrel, he died.

This is...concerning.  He wasn't the only one still thirsty, so his death may herald the coming of a fair number of dead dwarves.  Rain still strangely has yet to come, and working to fix known problems means I haven't really had much time to figure out where in the world the underground river is.

Just one more concern to add to the mountain.

I have this unfortunate feeling that this is going to be a reoccurring trend. DF2010 must have changed this behavior because I don't remember dwarf's dying of thrist quite so easily later. We need to find the river. Unfortunately, we're looking for a small target; 5-6 tiles wide. Murky pools didn't refill on my turn so I doubt we're going to get water there either.

Redorf please.

@NCommander: I didn't expect the bridges.

...Sorry, that may have been misunderstood.

I didn't expect the dwarven superhighfreeway!
Making the dwarven lands conform to your desires, you.

And, geez, plant gathering choices weren't so great in 0.28.

PS: Poor kitten.

I'm surprised the fort had hunters. They must be all gone now, though.

...Whoa! The dwarves in this version were serious about wanting variety.

Nice trade outpost. Shame about lack of water or magma. A year of digging, and nothing? 6x6 is large.

@Zanzetkuken:

Nicely turned noble into an insult.

Injecting miasma into a public dormitory seems like a pretty decent idea for adding some unhappiness. Just slaughter some war pets of fragile dwarves and hope they'll not just stoically take it. Though this is the opposite of being nice to the dwarves.

When it comes to water flooding, maybe precede the tunnels by diagonally leading ramps.

The mausoleum is nice. The stone amount is enormous.

Fun situation with barrels. I don't think goblets worked in this version, did they?

No goblets in this version. Apparently they also guzzle an entire barrel in a single go vs. just a unit, though the caverns in 2010 made finding water a LOT easier. I remember setting reserved barrels on my turn, we should have a decent chunk of them. We should also have gotten a collection of outdoor plants; may be a decent idea to put a greenhouse somewhere near the edge of the bridges, or carve a skylight.

Hunters are interesting in their effectiveness. They use ambusher to approach their pray without being noticed. If they're successful, then crossbow skill is used to get the kill. If we had some dogs, I'd recommend training a few hunting animals but I don't think we have a breeding pair in the fortress. I ordered some though with the dwarven caravan which we should probably take advantage of.

I couldn't resist doing a large masonry project since this version and DF2010 made them relatively easy to do vs. later ones. Anyway, for finding the river, a series of bore holes might be the way to do it from the top of the map straight down. I confirmed it's on the map, we just need to find it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2017, 11:56:34 pm »

Malachite 1, 108

Lokum wound up coming across a goblin thief when he was moving around outside.  I asked them why they were outside considering that the only things being worked on outside are the dome of the dining hall and the ventillation chimneys I'm having made for the smelters, wood furnace, forge, and butcher's shop.  You know what they told me?  Carrying NCommander's body to the refuse pile.  When I pointed out that there is already a tomb assigned for the body to be put in, they merely replied with a shrug and "Ai kno'". Must have heard from someone about the origin of the food and drink crisis.

Body wasn't stolen, to be clear.  Notably, a dwarf has wound up deciding to take the name 'NCommander II' similar to how one of the others took on 'Taupe II' not long after the original died.  Very strange.  I might need to look in on this once the work dies down.  Likely also known as when my term as overseer ends.  Maybe.  Probably won't give a shit by that point in time.

Aside from this, the human caravans have come around.  I'm going to buy them clean of alcohol and any thing else vaguely used for a drink.  Apparently they came across a goblin snatcher as they came across the freeway.  From the blood on one of the wagons, I can guess what happened to it.  Immediately after they told me this, there was a commotion on the freeway as one of their guards found another goblin.  Haggled away a few mechanisms for a ton of food, the two barrels of drink they brought with them, and the dog and cat they brought.  I'll figure out what to do with them later.  'Witty' Urdimritas wound up dying from thirst as the second casualty.

Got to leave to check in on some strange rumor I heard about.  Apparently a skeletal batman is now named Olon Likotalen.  Why exactly this is, I'm going to need to be finding out.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

I'm probably going to make a single post compiling every entry I've made at the end of my turn.  Make it so there's only one thing you have to click on while being able to rapid fire these smaller updates.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:58:26 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2017, 04:17:28 pm »

Cheeky.

The snatcher collided with the wagon and you didn't get an explosion? These wagons are quite sturdy.

@Ncommander: Rivers flow in lines (unless they don't?), so it might seem like a borehole every six tiles on two adjacent map edges could be enough to locate it.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2017, 04:30:28 pm »

Cheeky.

The snatcher collided with the wagon and you didn't get an explosion? These wagons are quite sturdy.

@Ncommander: Rivers flow in lines (unless they don't?), so it might seem like a borehole every six tiles on two adjacent map edges could be enough to locate it.

The river doesn't run the length of the map. I'd have to run reveal on a copy to tell you exactly where it is, I only took a brief look underground with visualizer. The vent is fairly large however but it doesn't extend to Z-0 which is why I failed to find it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2017, 04:51:30 pm »

Hm. If there were macros, I'd suggest prospecting by diagonal rampways.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2017, 05:55:28 pm »

In an evil biome, wrought with skeletal eagles and batsmen, we’are dying of... dehydration. I guess it’s slightly better than being speared to death by unicorns?

Nice updates btw, Zanzetkuken
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2017, 06:02:11 pm »

Apparently they also guzzle an entire barrel in a single go vs. just a unit
This is not true - for as long as booze barrels have existed in DF, dwarves have only ever consumed one unit of drink from them at a time. The behavior in 40d is the same as it was in 23a, and it remained that way all the way until version 0.42 when dwarves started drinking out of goblets.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21