Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42047 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile

!!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!!

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)

Overseer Rules:
Please accept or decline your turn promptly. I will PM you when your turn comes up. If you do not respond within 48 hours you will be skipped.

Please stay in touch after beginning your turn. If I don't hear from you for more than 72 hours at a stretch I will first send you a PM, then skip you if there's no response after 48 hours. For the love of Christ do not make me pester you constantly.

Please provide at least one in-story update every 7 days. If you need extensions on this, feel free to ask, but don't push your luck.

No massive weapon-trap hallways or weaponised atomsmashers. All other contrivances are acceptable.

No danger rooms, Spikes of Enlightenment, or similar training exploits.

Please only use DFHack to fix bugs or improve game performance. Cleaning the map, unsticking migrant traders, or pacifying soldiers is acceptable. Reveal, fastdwarf, etc. is not.

Please use only ASCII tilesets. No graphics packs. A lot of people don't know how to properly uninstall graphics packs. If you use one and our display tiles get fucked up I will eat you.

Please give in-character writeups, preferably with lots of screenshots and hopefully with effort put into the writing.

If you must cancel your turn prematurely, please upload your current save.

Rules for Everyone Else:
Please contribute! I don't care how shitty you think it is, any illustrations or story bits are welcome! Just please follow these guidelines:
> No crazy OCs. No cyborgs, no planeshifting gnome scientists, no supernaturally-empowered avatars of extradimensional beings. You don't have to make your dorf completely-average, but please don't have anything that can't already conceivably-exist in the current setting, at least not without running it by me first.
> No massive long-running story arcs unless you've done that kind of thing successfully before. I've seen things, bro. Terribly, terribly disappointing things.
> Finally, for the sake of my sanity, please try to make sure everything's copyedited and the grammar and spelling are all nice. It's not a big deal if you don't. Just think of it as a favour to me.

Please try to keep discussion on-topic! I'll keep a running list of links to fortress updates for people who just want those, but for the sake of my sanity I won't link to every cool thing everyone posts, so if we could keep digressions to a minimum for the sake of people who want to read the whole thread it'd be great.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:24:59 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Oh dear god, another one?)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 01:39:26 am »

Player List / Update Links

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dorfing List

Please put dorfing requests in the form
(Name):(Profession):(Job Title):(Gender)

If you don't have a preference for a field, replace it with "None Specified"

All overseers will be automatically dorfed, and redorfed if they die.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:09:05 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 01:40:28 am »

Quote Bank

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:49:23 pm by DolosusDoleus »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 02:17:54 am »

Looking around, 40d worldgen cookbook thread 404s and is disallowed by wayback. This is the only thread I found with brief search for seeds: Worldgen cliffs

So...Worldgen tiem?

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 02:30:17 am »

Looking around, 40d worldgen cookbook thread 404s and is disallowed by wayback. This is the only thread I found with brief search for seeds: Worldgen cliffs

So...Worldgen tiem?

Eyup. World is genning as we speak. I’ll probably post all the info sometime tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 02:44:39 am by DolosusDoleus »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 03:17:53 am »

I'm in. I was actually thinking about this since I resurrected my own previous story, and I wrote the finale for the first one. Though perhaps we should do a glacier embark. I'd have a harder time burning it down.

We need to find a site with both candy and a HFS (neither was guaranteed in 40d) for max hilarity. HFS occurs once in a region square like the demonic fortresses in DF2010. Magma would be a bonus but it's only really necessary if we're on a treeless embark. No magma sea in 40d or caverns which means the only way to get water for farming is to melt the ice., either by cave-in or magma.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:26:19 am »

I found the optimal location!

This should be interesting.

EDIT: Aargh, the location wasn't good. I'll post the actual fort location in a little bit.

I'm in. I was actually thinking about this since I resurrected my own previous story, and I wrote the finale for the first one. Though perhaps we should do a glacier embark. I'd have a harder time burning it down.

We need to find a site with both candy and a HFS (neither was guaranteed in 40d) for max hilarity. HFS occurs once in a region square like the demonic fortresses in DF2010. Magma would be a bonus but it's only really necessary if we're on a treeless embark. No magma sea in 40d or caverns which means the only way to get water for farming is to melt the ice., either by cave-in or magma.

Ye be in.

EDIT 2:

Here we go

Supposedly there is an underground lake, a magma pool, and bottomless pits.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:14:18 pm by DolosusDoleus »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

I hate being "that guy" but most of that embark is mountain biomes which are considered impassable to worldgen, and don't have many critters. Special stuff can only spawn in mountains, but I dunno if 40d mountains are as devoid of life as the later versions are. I haven't played much if at all of 40d compared to 23a or DF2010. Without caverns, we're mostly dependent on location to get interesting things.

Also to check, goblins *can* reach the site right?
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile

I hate being "that guy" but most of that embark is mountain biomes which are considered impassable to worldgen, and don't have many critters. Special stuff can only spawn in mountains, but I dunno if 40d mountains are as devoid of life as the later versions are. I haven't played much if at all of 40d compared to 23a or DF2010. Without caverns, we're mostly dependent on location to get interesting things.

Also to check, goblins *can* reach the site right?

According to the settings, the fortress has access to all civs (Including Goblins). Turns out that it also has five bazillion undead hoary marmots.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:05:17 pm by DolosusDoleus »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

According to the settings, the fortress has access to all civs (Including Goblins). Turns out that it also has five bazillion undead hoary marmots.

So what you're saying is we're in for a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad time?

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Starting very soon! Sign up now!)
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 06:17:07 pm »

So what you're saying is we're in for a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad time?

We’re in for one hell of a bad time.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 08:59:57 pm »

We're in for a quantum bad time. It's Bad, Worse, and Hell all at the same time.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 01:29:23 am »

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised at the best embark locations you found being a choice between terrifying metamorphic mountains and terryfing sedimentary mountains with a brook. Hoary marmots in 40d...

The Hoary marmot is a small, weak, benign creature, found in mountainous areas. It can be wrestled to death by a dabbling wrestler. Such an act is greatly discouraged however, as marmots are very cute and lovable. Unfortunately for the marmots, they are also delicious.

Is there something I'm missing, such as undead marmots being deadlier than undead elephants? I see evil forests, marshes and grasslands available on those screenshots.

I'd also suggest four times smaller embark for fps, but eh, I'm not playing.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 05:25:13 am »

Embark size was something less of a problem in 40d. Without the caverns, magma sea, or forgotten beasts, there's generally a LOT less crap on the map which keeps things relatively speedy. 23a was a 16x16 embark (granted, at 1 z level). 40d is also somewhat irritating that magma pipes and HFS are both rare and non-guaranteed.

40d is pretty much the basis for "modern" Dwarf Fortress. DF2010's big changes were caverns, was dumping the economy entirely, and revamping the military system into the present form. DF2012 was a much smaller sleep forward, while 2014->onward have primarily been making the world a living breathing place.

EDIT: For those who didn't play these versions, seiges came more or less reliably, and this well predates stress over happiness. As such, you can get some epic tantrum spirals going. I haven't had a proper spiral in DF2014 to date though Breadbowl came close when I offed a 1/3rd of the forts population in a single go.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:54:41 am by NCommander »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 03:48:57 pm »

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised at the best embark locations you found being a choice between terrifying metamorphic mountains and terryfing sedimentary mountains with a brook. Hoary marmots in 40d...

The Hoary marmot is a small, weak, benign creature, found in mountainous areas. It can be wrestled to death by a dabbling wrestler. Such an act is greatly discouraged however, as marmots are very cute and lovable. Unfortunately for the marmots, they are also delicious.

Is there something I'm missing, such as undead marmots being deadlier than undead elephants? I see evil forests, marshes and grasslands available on those screenshots.

I'd also suggest four times smaller embark for fps, but eh, I'm not playing.

All of those had aquifers/no magma, and my computer's too much of a potato for me to bother generating more than 2 worlds.

Anywho, I'm gonna make the first update soonish. Drafting it as we speak.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21