Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42569 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Sign up now!)
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 12:09:12 am »

Take your time. I'm going to be pretty busy next week.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 12:16:20 am »

Cave spiders in the tunnels? Better not send anybody who you can't miss down there. A miner like DolosusDoleus is fine, though.

I also doubt that water or magma will be found in soil layers, but it should be at least neat training for military prep. Actually, what is the military doing?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 04:04:00 am »

Cave spiders in the tunnels? Better not send anybody who you can't miss down there. A miner like DolosusDoleus is fine, though.

I also doubt that water or magma will be found in soil layers, but it should be at least neat training for military prep. Actually, what is the military doing?

40d's rules for these things were quite a bit different. Magma pipes can exist anywhere, starting at Z-0 and going up almost all the way to the surface.

We don't have a military, only 7 dwarfs, likely due to no exports.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 11:18:41 am »

Cave spiders are not the same as giant cave spiders, and both types are pretty much exactly the same as they still are in version 0.44.

As NCommander mentioned, water and magma worked differently back in 40d - water could be found as Underground Pools and Underground Rivers, and magma could be found as Magma Pools and Magma Pipes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 11:32:45 am »

Cave spiders are not the same as giant cave spiders, and both types are pretty much exactly the same as they still are in version 0.44.

As NCommander mentioned, water and magma worked differently back in 40d - water could be found as Underground Pools and Underground Rivers, and magma could be found as Magma Pools and Magma Pipes.

Speaking of, I can say with pretty much absolute certainty that there is both water and magma on the map. Unless I somehow horribly botched it, there will be an underground river and a magma pool (but no pipe).
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2017, 05:54:32 pm »

I'd like a dorfing request;

Witty:Jeweler:Jeweler:None Specified
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 09:06:06 pm »

I want to get back into dwarf fortress, so can I sign up for this? My turns never go wrong, I swear.

Also (Taupe):(Most useless thing we have):(Freeloader):(Any)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:07:37 pm by Taupe »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2017, 01:20:50 am »

I want to get back into dwarf fortress, so can I sign up for this? My turns never go wrong, I swear.

Also (Taupe):(Most useless thing we have):(Freeloader):(Any)

Yer in!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2017, 04:14:14 am »

I see about the 'cavern' features, cool.

And oh I was indeed thinking of regular cave spiders. Specifically, their permanent dizziness bite.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2017, 08:01:08 am »

I've properly started my turn, and I've decided to give our fortress a proper feature based on it's actual name (Bridgeborn). A massive amount of masonry is currently in progress in an effort to live up to the name. Update will come when I finish Spring.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2017, 08:50:10 am »

This finely crafted overseers log created 107.

Entry #1
Fortress Overseer - 'NCommander' Gutidsazir
===

Well, it's that time. As per tradition, at years end, the overseer hat moved, and I was the poor sap who's name came out. Great. Surprised the fort didn't riot at that. It was my distant ancestor who got us into this fine mess, and got the lot of us exiled here to Bridgeborn.

Then again, the world is a very different place since Thudel Witchfungi was released. Let me explain. A century ago, dwarven kind had reached a Golden Age, a time where we were the definitive great power in the world. Seven dwarfs were sent out into the world to expand our reach and our riches. We called that place Boarpaints. As far as I know, it was a decent place to live for awhile. Not many records survive though.

Towards the end, there was some sorta of disaster within the fort. From a population of 150, they fell almost overnight to two, and eventually 1. That dwarf was a distant ancestor of my clan. That dwarf decided to dig deeper into the mountain, possibly looking for salvation. Damned if I know for sure. What I do know is he found the cursed metal, adamantite.

Adamantite is a double-edged sword, literally. It's by far the most valuable and desirable of metals, but the gods put it in place to protect the world from something far worse. Demons that sleep beneath it, waiting for a chance to return and terrorize the world. No points for guessing what happened next.

Cobble cobble cobble, goes the bridgemaker.

After that, well, let's just say shit went bad. It became a time of Age of Heroes, where great dwarfs such as Id Matulcog fought against the demons in the deep. We lost. Their stories passed into legends, and eventually myth. A few mountainhomes survived, and we gathered our strength again in these trying times. Which brings me to here.

See, every group needs a scapegoat. We're the scapegoat of the Mountainhomes. Anyone who was connected to Boarpaints, or those who were just 'inconvenient' were exiled to places like Bridgeborn, away from the 'good' dwarfs who had done nothing wrong. In this case, the seven of us were rounded up and told to establish a new outpost far away from the Mountainhomes. It's no guess how I ended up here, though as for the others. I have no idea.

Regardless of my ancestors decisions, I intend to bring this fortress towards greatness. For Bridgeborn!
---

Witty: sorry, no jewelry in this wave, I'll keep an eye out for one.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:22:35 am by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 09:22:02 am »

This finely crafted overseers log created 107.

Entry #2
===

DolosusDoleus has done a decent start to get us going, but I need to expand on his efforts.

Right now, we need to achieve three separate goals.
 - Locate water and magma underneath the site for emergencies and forging
 - Create a method of safely bringing in merchant wagons which can't easily traverse the badlands.
 - Rise above the stigma that defines us as a group.

Of the first, I've decided to take a pick and start mining directly above bedrock, hoping to find damp or warm stone indicating one of these two vital resources is near.

These efforts quickly pay off as we begin locating precious metals.

While I mine out stone, the rest of the fortress population will be elevating our trading position. Literally.

Three lanes of shimmering stone, fast, safe, clean, allowing fast and easy access in and out of the fortress. I'm calling it ... a freeway!

---

The elves from a nearby retreat have arrived. Although only a few of the bridge pylons have been driven, they've obviously been motivated by our greatness already. As I reviewed our stocks during trade, I'm concerned on the state of food within the fortress. I've decided to send a herbalist out to expand our foodstuffs and variety.

We'll hopefully have a nice variety of herbs, plants, and booze in the near future.

---

As spring reaches it's end, progress is moving nicely. Two of the pylons are nearly constructed, and the first true bridges have been installed, creating my golden path towards the future.

As summer dawns, migrants (or exiles) from the mountainhomes arrive!

One of them came up and introduced himself as Taupe.

With the increase in dwarves, there's a need for law and order.

And as such, there's a new sheriff in town.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 12:36:44 pm »

This finely crafted overseers log created 107. On the cover is a picture of a freeway. It is decorated with a pile of stone dust.

Entry #2
===

Mining efforts in search of water and magma continue, though as of writing, no luck.

What we have found though is a series of high quality metal ores, which no doubt will be useful in the future.

After much internal debate, I've decided that having a grand freeway is NOT going to be enough to entice people to come to Bridgeborn. What we need is a mecca, a shimmering tower of greatness to trade and industry. I do not believe I can finish it entirely in a year, but I can get a large amount of the basics done before then.

Already we've begun laying the first floor of it.

--

Construction hit it's first major problem today.

One of those skeleton eagles took one site at our greatness, and attacked, killing one, and injuring several others.

A bunch of peasants were rapidly recruited in an effort to drive the beast off. Results were ... mixed ...

None the less, they were able to scare off the beast abet at the cost of several injuries. To prevent a repeat, we're going to need a way to fight these monsters off. Given the architecture I'm building, markdwarfs seem like a reasonable method, combined with the fact that we as of yet have not found any weapon grade ore beyond copper.

The orders are given.

I've also ordered the start of a memorial hall for our honored dead. From the stone which we came, from the stone on which we return.

---

As summer came to an end, a theft successfully stole a shirt.

I also got some ... strange announcements ...

Sadly, no migrants came this summer but ...

We've begun work on the top and final level of the Tower of Trade. Better name pending.

--

EDIT: I finished my turn, but I'm not feeling the energy to write up Fall/Winter. Here's a spoiler though of what the end result looks like.

Spoiler: "THIS IS BRIDGEBORN" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:23:45 pm by NCommander »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 01:37:25 pm »

Awe bridges!
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 04:52:07 pm »

This finely crafted overseers log created 107. On the cover is a picture of a freeway. It is decorated with a pile of stone dust. The pages seem dehydrated.

Entry #3
===

Fall starts on a low note, and then continues to decline.

A review of the stocks show that we're running low of booze.

An examination of the farms explains why. The previous overseer built one giant farm, and only embarked with plump helmets. Another herbalist is drafted and sent to gather plants in a desperate attempt to put off death by dehydration. Unfortunately, despite our efforts, we've yet to find neither water nor magma. Several of the dwarfs injuries in melee refuse wine, and die of dehydration.

The fortress population levels off at about 18 dwarfs when all is said and done.

Fortunately, before our situation could get more dire, a trade cavern arrives.

Unfortunately, the last drawbridges haven't been installed yet, causing them to use the original depot. On the plus side, we removed enough crap off the map that the wagons could successfully navigate along the bridge pylons and pull into the depot.

We didn't have much to trade, but I was able to get a few plants to brew, as well as a nice collection of rock nuts, pig tail seeds, and sweet pods seeds. This should help properly stablize the fortress in the long run. I had the large farm torn down and reconstructed into smaller component parts.

To make sure we had excess food through the winter, I also allowed our cooks to use some of the excess plump helment spawn. As you can see, our stocks were not happy. Hard at work in the kitchens, our situation suddenly started looking much better less than a month later. The outpost liason comes and begins to negotate a trade agreement. With our immediate issues solved, I request animals so we may have something to butcher for moods in the future.

Despite the hardship, my masons continue to charge ahead full charge. I temporarily allow them to use gold nuggets for construction, and build a new shiny trade depot in the sky. The last bridge is only awaiting a mason's touch before we're fully operational.

With primary construction nearing it's end, I looked at how we're best to use this new monolith of capitalism. After reviewing some charts, I located where our central stairwell would connect to the surface, and order walls around it, miners to go channel it out.

Rising up two z-levels to a landing, a new pathway of stone begins to take shape building towards the Tower of Moolah.

(note the dead dwarf who died of dehydration moments after setting a stone in place; no I don't know why he didn't drink).

---
The first day of winter has arrived.

First, we located a component that would allow for creation of bismuth bronze; a reasonably good weapons grade ore, but most importantly.

The last bridge on the Great Road has been completed! With gusto, I have the original trade depot torn down. No longer shall merchants have to walk upon the cursed earth, instead safely rising above it. I've included a mural showing the state of Bridgeborn on this magnificent day.

For the keeper's entrance, I had a new bridge constructed from the walkway to the Tower.

And a new lever room constructed.

IMPORTANT: As of years end, the linkages to the bridges have been queued but NOT completed!

I've ordered the dismantling of scaffolding around the fortress, and begun to install re-enforcing walls along the perimeter.

With my goal complete, I turn my attention towards other matters.

First off is acquisition of at least some metal bars. Our wood coffer is well supplied given the amount of construction and clearing we've done, and we have an ample supply of charcoal. Smelting is off to a slow but profitable start.

Likewise, I've had a large amount of wood cut down and hauled inside

OOC: Reminder: in this version of DF, each tree gives one log. I pretty much clear cut the map

Our ammo coffers are also looking healthy, ready for the next overseer to begin training marksdwarfs. It may be worth building the floor out within the tower or adding a new level so that our military doesn't get cave adopted. There's also a nice place under the gold bridge where we could put a ballistia battery, or a lookout to mow down invaders.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find either the magma vent nor an underground river, so those will be left to the next overseer.

OOC: Since my turn is over, I *did* check with Visualizer. Both are on the map. I was digging too low.

With the year over, I pass the fortress to the next overseer, knowing that our future perhaps is somewhat brighter than when we started.

This is Bridgeborn. A place where bridge's are born.

Cobble, cobble, cobble goes the bridgemaker ...

---

DFFD link: Bridgeborn 108

Just for shits and giggles, I checked how much stone I used on my little masonry project. The answer?

~900 boulders, or a little over a 1/4th of every boulder in the fortress. That's an absurd amount of stone for just one year. I honestly forgot how much easier it used to be prior to Toady nerfing miners, and the hauling update making stone anything take forever and a day. I still dislike that change even now.

PM sent to nogoodgames.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:56:08 pm by NCommander »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21