Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42565 times)

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Sign up now!)
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2017, 11:35:39 am »

Well that didn't last long. Can someone dwarf one of my relatives as Taupe II...?

Put you in the dorfing list as Taupe II

Also, NCommander, did you dorf Witty?

No, didn't get a jewelry. Put me back in the queue for round two.

Mmkay. Back in you go. However, I'll probably give priority to new players over you if some sign up by the time your turn comes. You okay with that?

Hey now, don't forget my dwarfing request.  :)

Been a while since I've seen a sky-trade-depot with bridges, oh memories.

...I'm pretty sure I dorfed you during my turn.

You did? Awesome! I just haven't downloaded the file to double check myself, and haven't noticed my dwarf in any of the updates yet.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2017, 07:22:16 pm »

Just checking in, the dwarf I had been given wasn't mentioned in any past turns, right?  I wound up switching out which one I was 'dwarfed' as, as for what I am currently planning, that prior one made no sense.  New's still not an exact fit, but they're dead right now.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2017, 09:00:55 pm »

Just checking in, the dwarf I had been given wasn't mentioned in any past turns, right?  I wound up switching out which one I was 'dwarfed' as, as for what I am currently planning, that prior one made no sense.  New's still not an exact fit, but they're dead right now.

I don't think so. Go for it.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2017, 10:10:36 pm »

I fully expect my dwarf to be killed by a later overseer attempting something mad.  May as well give them the ability to frame it as them deliberately getting rid of him, for soon to be evident reasons.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Granite 1, 108

The prior overseer, NCommander came by not too long ago and told me that is now me who has the honor of running this place.  It seems that adopting this guise has worked out far better than expected.  Two years ago, I was set to be put to death for attempting to incite revolution to overthrow the entire nobility so they could be replaced with individuals with a more...realistic and fortress centered mindset.  Yet, after a quick swap of identity with someone who looked like me and two years, I'm now in charge of a major outpost.

Ordinarily I would attempt to avoid becoming overseer, but I'm going to make an attempt this time.  The prior two have had more...noble...priorities than those that could be of greatest usage to the fortress.

For instance, you see that thing in the upper left corner?  No, that's not a statue garden, that is the tomb that the first overseer built.  Notice how the thing is built directly upon the main path of the fortress near the prime real estate closest to the central staircase and has been completely smoothed over?  Now, I want to redirect your attention.  See that area off hidden behind the butcher shop, the forge, and the wood furnace?  That's the current communal bedrooms.  The smell of the rotting flesh and burning wood far outweighs what benefits the forge provides.  Hmm, you know, there is room to the west of the tomb that could solve the inadequate bedrooms, and if you combine the tomb with the room below, you could fit a large table for many dwarves right next to those rooms...

NCommander also had his own minor issues, such as making our food and drink situation critical and (possibly) inadvertently working dwarves to their deaths as a result of working on their 'Freeway' project.  Further, while the 'Freeway' as he calls it provides quite a nice chokepoint that does a nice job to funnel merchants and the undead, its been left completely unfortified aside from the old 'raise the drawbridge' trick.  His 'Trade Depot in the Sky' could have been edged with fortifications so we could have sent some squads up there to shoot out at anything, but instead it is edged with walls you can't do that with.  Don't think that would be important to kill the giant eagles with?  Granted, the fortress defenses are riddled with holes, so there's only so much blame that can be handed out for that.  Just one building destroyer and anyone would have access to the fortress itself.  Just another adjustment to impliment.  Think I see a spot where, with a bit of adjustment, we could have a ballista mounted so that it can shoot clear down the freeway to slaughter any who try to encroach as well.

Fortifications is a longer term job than even the bedrooms.  Right now, we have some issues that need to be dealt with.  Priority one, secure a better supply of food and water.  Our current is a bit lacking.

Former can only be solved through growing, which strangely isn't happening, going to need to check in on that, and maybe trading with the elves.

As for the latter and aside from brewing, there's two murky pools to the southeast that can be refilled by the rain.  Funnel the water down a tunnel, and I can rig up a well in the fort.  Not the best, but should be a good backup if the alcohol gets screwed up again.  In addition, there's rumors of an underground river which could solve the problem the quickest, but there's a slight problem.  Mining has been done down to the lowest level, so if we wind up guessing wrong, there's a chance the current mines will end up flooded if someone isn't paying attention.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Granite 2, 108
Found out the problem with the farms.  See the below list of seeds in the stocks?

You know what was ordered to be planted?  Quarry bushes, pig tails, and other stuff we don't have the seeds for.  In fact, it was everything but plump helmets.

This is going to be a long year.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2017, 10:54:07 am »

Nooooo my tomb ;_;
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2017, 02:53:03 pm »

So i'm wondering, you said no crazy training schemes.  Does that include screw pump gyms or swimming training rooms?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2017, 04:33:37 pm »

Nooooo my tomb ;_;

Oh, it's still going to be your tomb.  It's just also going to be a dining hall as well.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2017, 05:14:14 pm »

Urist 1- "Hey who's buried in this tomb anyways?" 
Urist 2- "Who cares, we got this fun party goin on"

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2017, 05:56:39 pm »

So i'm wondering, you said no crazy training schemes.  Does that include screw pump gyms or swimming training rooms?

Yes. If you're deliberately using exploits or taking advantage of bugs, it's not allowed.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2017, 06:09:35 pm »

Yes. If you're deliberately using exploits or taking advantage of bugs, it's not allowed.
I don't really see either of those as exploits. Screw pump gyms are a little iffy maybe, but I don't think there's anything wrong with giving dorfs swimming lessons.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2017, 07:12:32 pm »

I don't really see either of those as exploits. Screw pump gyms are a little iffy maybe, but I don't think there's anything wrong with giving dorfs swimming lessons.

Well, in this version forcing your dorfs to swim would massively boost all of their physical stats. Same thing with pump gyms. It's the reason carp were so massively powerful in earlier versions; because they were swimming literally all the time, they ended up with ungodly physical stats in barely no time at all.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2017, 08:06:03 pm »

Slate 1, 108

It's been one month.  I dragged in literally everyone in the fort to switch up the jobs they've been assigned, as it seems that there has been no focus in the past.  Likely due to the sheer focus the prior two had on building large structures rather than fortress infrastructure.  I have made an attempt to correct this, the current duties listed below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This list may be modified in the future if I see idlers, but for now we'll work with it.

Kicking out 'NCommander' from holding near all the noble positions has already managed to get some good done as the meeting with the outpost liason has finally managed to complete itself and the export agreement has been made.  Results of the export agreement has been recorded below.

The meeting annoyingly wasn't able to be completed before the elves arrived, which caused a fair amount of tensions between the two.  Fortunately, we were able to trade away a statue and some mechnisms to secure a good amount of food supplies and a giant leopard we can butcher if things turn out for the worst.  If not, I'm going to see if I can get it war-trained and then set up a marksdwarf squad led by myself so I can have it assigned to me.  If this crisis can be solved, I deserve some reward.  I can admit we actually may be soon out of it, as the influx of food from the elves is coming at a time when the plump helmets are coming in.  Should reach non-crisis levels soon enough.

As an aside, as you can see below, I made a midpoint ramp on and off the freeway so the walk to the outside isn't as far now that I've sealed off the original entrance.  Below is a simplified rendition of what was done.

Plans are in place to fortify the trade tower into a major point of external defense, the upper internal level turned into marksdwarf firing locations with ammunition, center into a sleeping quarters, and the lowest into a combination training ground and armory.  Trade depot will be turned into an alternate firing location.  If possible, the current gold bridge will be torn down in exchange for two at either edge, to make room to have a ballista in the barracks that can fire clear down the road.  All plans for the future, though.  For now, if anything is going to be constructed, it's going to be those bedrooms and the grand dining hall.  Might even get fancy and create a domed ceiling for it built aboveground if there is enough time in the year.  Though given how long the freeway took, I have my doubts that there would be enough time left.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Bridgeborn, Land of Bridges)
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2017, 09:31:01 am »

PTW

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2017, 01:29:02 pm »

I have to ask, are quantum stockpiles one of the allowed exploits?  The rate boulders are being produced in this version by legendary miners means that I really don't think they can all be fit in a regular stockpile in any other way.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2017, 04:03:52 pm »

I have to ask, are quantum stockpiles one of the allowed exploits?  The rate boulders are being produced in this version by legendary miners means that I really don't think they can all be fit in a regular stockpile in any other way.

When you put it that way, I’ll allow it. Cheers!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21