Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42571 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Bridgeborn, Land of Bridges)
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2017, 01:42:11 pm »

Apparently they also guzzle an entire barrel in a single go vs. just a unit
This is not true - for as long as booze barrels have existed in DF, dwarves have only ever consumed one unit of drink from them at a time. The behavior in 40d is the same as it was in 23a, and it remained that way all the way until version 0.42 when dwarves started drinking out of goblets.
Of course every drink we take drains a barrel, we have less drinking units than we have barrels. It's like splitting a bottle of Sunny D amidst 1000 glasses and complaining that someone just drank the ''whole glass in one go''.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2017, 02:08:14 pm »

Apparently they also guzzle an entire barrel in a single go vs. just a unit
This is not true - for as long as booze barrels have existed in DF, dwarves have only ever consumed one unit of drink from them at a time. The behavior in 40d is the same as it was in 23a, and it remained that way all the way until version 0.42 when dwarves started drinking out of goblets.
Of course every drink we take drains a barrel, we have less drinking units than we have barrels. It's like splitting a bottle of Sunny D amidst 1000 glasses and complaining that someone just drank the ''whole glass in one go''.

Damn, busting out Sunny D references like it's 2008.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2017, 02:47:29 pm »

Well, what other choices do I have... purple drink...?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2017, 02:50:54 pm »

I haven't even read anything yet and I'd just like to say I'm honored to see a certain rule on your dwarfing rule list.

Time to do some reading.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2017, 03:49:24 pm »

Malachite 15, 108

We've had another two snatchers crop up over the past two weeks.  No idea what in the world is causing the goblins to send so many of them our way.  We have what, three children around here?  I mean, at least until one of them was kidnapped.  No one else has died of dehydration yet, but Dolosus and a few other dwarves are fairly unhappy.  None of them have decided to tantrum, but its only a matter of time with the existing dehydration problems.

There's been a long string of skeletal batmen being named.  I have no idea where the whole thing originated from, but it seems that some of the populace is joking around with making sagas surrounding them and other creatures in the chasm.  Why they are doing this I have no idea, but so long as it keeps them entertained and not tantruming, I'll take it.  There is no current known way out of the chasm to threaten us after all.

...Though the surface is another problem.  I get the feeling this is not going to end well.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2017, 02:09:10 am »

Going to see if I can power through the entire rest of the turn after I wake up.  Unless something winds up happening, I should be able to.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2017, 11:00:41 am »

Going to see if I can power through the entire rest of the turn after I wake up.  Unless something winds up happening, I should be able to.

Cool. Good luck!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2017, 08:17:49 pm »

Malachite 21, 108

The skeletal eagle proved to be less of a problem than I had prior thought.  As I was busy trying to figure out how the hell the fortress bureaucracy works to send a squad out to kill off the eagle, as the process is incredibly complex and hard to work with for some unknown reason, Kogan was somehow able to outrun the creature.  It then seemed that rather than attempting to continue pursuit of another dwarf, it wound up deciding to leave.

After counting the fortune from that, I wound up getting some very interesting news.  Apparently, a leatherworker named Mafol Cattenlakish has gone into a fey mood.  I am not certain what type of artifact will be created aside from likely having leather as a primary component, meaning it will likely be largely useless for combat.  However, if successful, it will be the first artifact of the fortress and the dwarf would have advanced to legendary status.

In a stroke of good fortune, no migrants were attracted this season, so we do have a bit more time before the economy truly kicks off and overturns the fort.  We may even manage to reach the point where it is the next overseer's problem.

Who am I kidding?  This place won't be giving me any breaks.  All of this fortune means that the other shoe is going to drop soon.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Galena 11, 108

The mood is fairly likely to fail.  A lack of leatherworks and everyone being busy with other tasks means that the dwarf is likely to go insane unless someone winds up deciding to go by and actually build the shop.  Shame.

Wildlife has taken to chasing another dwarf around.  This time it was NCommander II being chased by one of the skeletal mountain goats.  Dwarf was always a good distance away from them, but they certainly were gripping quite a bit when they came back in.

A massive cloud of miasma wound up erupting in the dining hall.  It seems some of the refuse hadn't been hauled away in time as a result of everyone being so busy and the distance to the refuse stockpile.  Going to set up one in the south with chimneys to vent it outside like I have set up with the forges.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Limestone 7, 108

Fall has arrived.  Rain still hasn't come to allow us to implement the backup water well.  The chimneys for the forges are near complete, as is near the entirety of the outer walls of the first of the upper dining hall levels.  Still need to get the statues in the alcoves on that floor and the floor below, construct the upper levels, and breach the ground so it is one open space.  No incidents have been reported yet, so it looks like things might actually-

...I really should have expected that.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2017, 05:01:20 pm »

Peace be with you, you mad dwarf... hey dont punch my face!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2017, 02:35:56 pm »

Bump?
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2017, 02:46:35 pm »

Having read everything now, I have to say I wish I could bring myself to play these older versions.

For one simple reason, and that is that this fort's constant stream of death and despair is positively delightful!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2017, 03:01:58 pm »

Bump?

Internet's been acting a bit screwy for awhile.  It's a bit more stable now, so I should be able to post an update soon.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2017, 03:59:30 pm »

Bump?

Internet's been acting a bit screwy for awhile.  It's a bit more stable now, so I should be able to post an update soon.

Cool, thanks!

Having read everything now, I have to say I wish I could bring myself to play these older versions.

For one simple reason, and that is that this fort's constant stream of death and despair is positively delightful!

S'allright. Nobody's forcing you to join if you don't want to.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2017, 05:40:38 pm »

S'allright. Nobody's forcing you to join if you don't want to.

I'm not sure what you said that for, I meant that more as "I'm a spoiled brat who likes the newer versions"

I've tried the old versions, but the lack of a resizeable window (via just hitting the maximize button on the window itself that is,) was the dealbreaker.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2017, 05:56:55 pm »

Limestone 23, 108

The berserker has been put down at the cost of one other dwarf, Sakzul Ustlikot.  I didn't use the most elegant of solutions I can admit, but the level of chaos combined with the madness of trying to order the military meant that 'everyone attack that guy now' was basically all I could do.  It turns out that having about a dozen unorganized people trying to kill you is very effective, believe it or not. 

We had a kobold thief show up later in the month.  At least it is not another goblin, but this is quite frankly getting a tad ridiculous.  How many thieves are running around in these parts?  May start keeping my crossbow with me all the time now so they can't get away.

The dwarven Caravan's come by.  Finally getting to the end of my tenure.  Let's see if we can get some more alcohol out of them.  Getting another still setup to try and get more alcohol coming in, but we're going to want to boost up the current stocks as well.

Hearing some commotion outside.  Going to check it out.

At least it isn't goblins.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Sandstone 1, 108

The caravan's military wound up slaughtering the whole lot of the kobolds on the bridge before the skulking filth could do anything aside from killing the one cat of the fortress.  Thankfully, it was a stray rather than having been adopted by them.

I personally slew another thief on the bridge that decided to crop up in the aftermath.  Leg's a bit wounded, but I can walk it off.  Kobolds are exceptionally weak to getting bashed in the head with a crossbow.

Wasn't the only one.  Another kobold thief was that Meng chased off less than a day later.  Hell's with all the kobolds?

And why is Tun passed out on the wall of the dining hall's future roof?

I'm not sure what you said that for, I meant that more as "I'm a spoiled brat who likes the newer versions"

I've tried the old versions, but the lack of a resizeable window (via just hitting the maximize button on the window itself that is,) was the dealbreaker.

While you may not want to jump in for at turn, want to have a dwarf named after you?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21