Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42540 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Bridgeborn, Land of Bridges)
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2017, 06:37:50 pm »

I'd say yes, but considering how quickly he'd end up dead, I'll pass and simply admire the place from a distance :P

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2017, 06:51:00 pm »

Sooo, how's the lava/water situation? I'm guessing that neither has been found so far, but has there been any progress?

Having read everything now, I have to say I wish I could bring myself to play these older versions.

For one simple reason, and that is that this fort's constant stream of death and despair is positively delightful!

S'allright. Nobody's forcing you to join if you don't want to.

I'm not sure what you said that for, I meant that more as "I'm a spoiled brat who likes the newer versions"

I've tried the old versions, but the lack of a resizeable window (via just hitting the maximize button on the window itself that is,) was the dealbreaker.

*Shrugs*

Yeah, no resizable windows is a real pain in the ass. I certainly can't say I miss them.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2017, 02:03:43 am »

Sandstone 5, 108

Another fucking kobold thief and another herd of skeletal mountain goats constantly freaking the dwarves out.  I've had enough.  All dwarves, mobilize and kill them.

Success. Meng punched the kobold to death on the bridge.  I kinda wish he threw the kobold over the bridge.  Still, it got the task done.  As for the skeletal mountain goats, we wound up losing Kogan Coggigin when two of the bastards swarmed him before backup came in, the dwarf Oddom Rilemcatten.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Moonstone 19, 108

Fucking damnit.  Been a bit late on the entries, but I recognize the Outpost Liason.  He's the bastard that wound up breaking open the plan to tear down the existing nobility.  Been avoiding him, but he started asking some very...probing questions about my tenure.  Guy may be on to me, but I'm pretty sure I can dodge him til my tenure's up.  Managed to sucker someone else into the meeting with him, and I've done something that was decidedly more...noble.

How's that for replicating their mindset?

Anyway, basically everyone has a bed at this point in time, the dining hall is nearing its final stages, and the food and drink stocks are over a hundred apiece.  We've mostly been free of thieves, with only a couple kobolds only being spotted recently.  Speaking of, Nogoodgames spotted one then threw the bastard off the bridge.  If that wasn't enough, the fading in and out of consciousness kobold wound up running into one of the skeletal mountain goat herds and was torn apart.

Finally, we managed to get ahold of a successful artifact creation, from Kubuk Dodokfikod.  I have detailed it below.

Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2017, 08:19:06 am »

Looks like my wish for an outdoor fortress came true.

And yeah, lack of resizable windows make 40d somewhat annoying to play. I do wish I could find some of the OpenGL 40d versions which fixed that but AFAIK, they've vanished off the internet.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2017, 02:51:06 pm »

Won't be able to get a post up today.  Got a family Christmas party that I'm going to be going to.  I may wind up getting home early enough that I can get something done, but it is uncertain if I will be able to.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2017, 03:58:32 am »

Getting the last post of the turn written up and am wanting to include a 3d view of the fort.  Can you get me a link to the one you used, NCommander?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2017, 11:25:17 am »

Use Visual Fortress: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39541.0 for 40d to get the type of screenshots I dd. Curious what you did with the outside.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2017, 09:44:59 pm »

As I said earlier, I'm compiling all of my posts into one so opening a dozen pages isn't needed.  Save is at the bottom.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Granite 1, 108

The prior overseer, NCommander came by not too long ago and told me that is now me who has the honor of running this place.  It seems that adopting this guise has worked out far better than expected.  Two years ago, I was set to be put to death for attempting to incite revolution to overthrow the entire nobility so they could be replaced with individuals with a more...realistic and fortress centered mindset.  Yet, after a quick swap of identity with someone who looked like me and two years, I'm now in charge of a major outpost.

Ordinarily I would attempt to avoid becoming overseer, but I'm going to make an attempt this time.  The prior two have had more...noble...priorities than those that could be of greatest usage to the fortress.

For instance, you see that thing in the upper left corner?  No, that's not a statue garden, that is the tomb that the first overseer built.  Notice how the thing is built directly upon the main path of the fortress near the prime real estate closest to the central staircase and has been completely smoothed over?  Now, I want to redirect your attention.  See that area off hidden behind the butcher shop, the forge, and the wood furnace?  That's the current communal bedrooms.  The smell of the rotting flesh and burning wood far outweighs what benefits the forge provides.  Hmm, you know, there is room to the west of the tomb that could solve the inadequate bedrooms, and if you combine the tomb with the room below, you could fit a large table for many dwarves right next to those rooms...

NCommander also had his own minor issues, such as making our food and drink situation critical and (possibly) inadvertently working dwarves to their deaths as a result of working on their 'Freeway' project.  Further, while the 'Freeway' as he calls it provides quite a nice chokepoint that does a nice job to funnel merchants and the undead, its been left completely unfortified aside from the old 'raise the drawbridge' trick.  His 'Trade Depot in the Sky' could have been edged with fortifications so we could have sent some squads up there to shoot out at anything, but instead it is edged with walls you can't do that with.  Don't think that would be important to kill the giant eagles with?  Granted, the fortress defenses are riddled with holes, so there's only so much blame that can be handed out for that.  Just one building destroyer and anyone would have access to the fortress itself.  Just another adjustment to impliment.  Think I see a spot where, with a bit of adjustment, we could have a ballista mounted so that it can shoot clear down the freeway to slaughter any who try to encroach as well.

Fortifications is a longer term job than even the bedrooms.  Right now, we have some issues that need to be dealt with.  Priority one, secure a better supply of food and water.  Our current is a bit lacking.

Former can only be solved through growing, which strangely isn't happening, going to need to check in on that, and maybe trading with the elves.

As for the latter and aside from brewing, there's two murky pools to the southeast that can be refilled by the rain.  Funnel the water down a tunnel, and I can rig up a well in the fort.  Not the best, but should be a good backup if the alcohol gets screwed up again.  In addition, there's rumors of an underground river which could solve the problem the quickest, but there's a slight problem.  Mining has been done down to the lowest level, so if we wind up guessing wrong, there's a chance the current mines will end up flooded if someone isn't paying attention.

Granite 2, 108
Found out the problem with the farms.  See the below list of seeds in the stocks?

You know what was ordered to be planted?  Quarry bushes, pig tails, and other stuff we don't have the seeds for.  In fact, it was everything but plump helmets.

This is going to be a long year.

Slate 1, 108

It's been one month.  I dragged in literally everyone in the fort to switch up the jobs they've been assigned, as it seems that there has been no focus in the past.  Likely due to the sheer focus the prior two had on building large structures rather than fortress infrastructure.  I have made an attempt to correct this, the current duties listed below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This list may be modified in the future if I see idlers, but for now we'll work with it.

Kicking out 'NCommander' from holding near all the noble positions has already managed to get some good done as the meeting with the outpost liason has finally managed to complete itself and the export agreement has been made.  Results of the export agreement has been recorded below.

The meeting annoyingly wasn't able to be completed before the elves arrived, which caused a fair amount of tensions between the two.  Fortunately, we were able to trade away a statue and some mechnisms to secure a good amount of food supplies and a giant leopard we can butcher if things turn out for the worst.  If not, I'm going to see if I can get it war-trained and then set up a marksdwarf squad led by myself so I can have it assigned to me.  If this crisis can be solved, I deserve some reward.  I can admit we actually may be soon out of it, as the influx of food from the elves is coming at a time when the plump helmets are coming in.  Should reach non-crisis levels soon enough.

As an aside, as you can see below, I made a midpoint ramp on and off the freeway so the walk to the outside isn't as far now that I've sealed off the original entrance.  Below is a simplified rendition of what was done.

Plans are in place to fortify the trade tower into a major point of external defense, the upper internal level turned into marksdwarf firing locations with ammunition, center into a sleeping quarters, and the lowest into a combination training ground and armory.  Trade depot will be turned into an alternate firing location.  If possible, the current gold bridge will be torn down in exchange for two at either edge, to make room to have a ballista in the barracks that can fire clear down the road.  All plans for the future, though.  For now, if anything is going to be constructed, it's going to be those bedrooms and the grand dining hall.  Might even get fancy and create a domed ceiling for it built aboveground if there is enough time in the year.  Though given how long the freeway took, I have my doubts that there would be enough time left.

Felsite 25, 108

Much of the mining for the bedrooms has been completed, but the sheer scale of the stone produced by the Dolosus and Ncommander means that I've needed to do some slight modifications to the prior work orders in order to clear out the stone into a single stockpile everything gets thrown into.  We apparently have around five thousand boulders in the fortress, right now, and with further mining that number will only grow.

Some migrants came around.  A blacksmith known as Lokum Soloziteb, a no skilled peasant by the name of Sakul Rithsalul, an engraver named Fikod Rakustorshar, a craftsdwarf named Lokum Tinothstakud, a marksdwarf named Datan Adilkobel, another zero skill peasant named Ducim Kadolstorlut, a fish dissector named Dakost Mistemidith, a third zero skill peasant named Kubuk Dodokfikod, a fellow ranger named Tun Likotarban, a bowyer named Meng Logemlanlar, a siege engineer named Logem Thoblotol, a wood burner named Mistem Ngotolkol, a fourth peasant by the name of Iden Asiton, a woodcrafter named Likot Zozkol, a cheesemaker named Zuglar Vabokvush, another wood burner by the name of Kogan Coggigin, a fifth no skill peasant by the name of Stakud Bunembim, a child named Erith Mesirlor, a woodcrafter named Muthkat Tobzolak, a trapper named Oddom Rilemcatten, a dyer named Sigun Cogdur, another child named Libash Kubukshadmal, and a third child named Bomrek Kuletzalis.  Yep, twenty-three new dwarves when we are already a bit tight on food and don't have any bedrooms up yet.

I'm assigning them all to help get rid of all this stone.  In addition to this and their base roles, I made the fish dissector, peasants, engraver and craftsdwarf into masons and engravers, the marksdwarf into a miner, the woodcrafters were assigned to carpentry and woodcutting, filled out all smithing roles in the blacksmith's repitoire, gave the ranger a butchery job, ordered the bowyer into mechanics, told the siege engineer to learn how to operate what they make, and got the dyer, trapper, cheesemaker, and wood burners the same duties as the rest of the farmers.

Felsite 31, 108
Saw Ncommander idling in the new dining hall.  Apparently he and Dolosus ran out of stuff to mine.  Well, then, have digging out this Grand Mausoleum, also known as future proofing for later overseers.  Sheer scale should prevent it from filling up with bodies, though I very much have my doubts about this, and if invaders somehow get in, the complete confusion of the passageways should allow for us to break up some of the bastards.

Hematite 15, 108

Well, we've experienced a bit of interesting karma today.  NCommander died of thirst right next to a drink barrel.  At first I wondered exactly how the hell that was possible, as we have a total of fifty drinks lying around, but the solution has presented itself.  Simply put, the crisis resulted in us having drinks in only a couple of barrels.  Given the propensity to drink directly from barrels we dwarves have and the number of thristy dwarves thanks to that massive migrant wave, by the time he managed to get to a barrel, he died.

This is...concerning.  He wasn't the only one still thirsty, so his death may herald the coming of a fair number of dead dwarves.  Rain still strangely has yet to come, and working to fix known problems means I haven't really had much time to figure out where in the world the underground river is.

Just one more concern to add to the mountain.

Malachite 1, 108

Lokum wound up coming across a goblin thief when he was moving around outside.  I asked them why they were outside considering that the only things being worked on outside are the dome of the dining hall and the ventillation chimneys I'm having made for the smelters, wood furnace, forge, and butcher's shop.  You know what they told me?  Carrying NCommander's body to the refuse pile.  When I pointed out that there is already a tomb assigned for the body to be put in, they merely replied with a shrug and "Ai kno'". Must have heard from someone about the origin of the food and drink crisis.

Body wasn't stolen, to be clear.  Notably, a dwarf has wound up deciding to take the name 'NCommander II' similar to how one of the others took on 'Taupe II' not long after the original died.  Very strange.  I might need to look in on this once the work dies down.  Likely also known as when my term as overseer ends.  Maybe.  Probably won't give a shit by that point in time.

Aside from this, the human caravans have come around.  I'm going to buy them clean of alcohol and any thing else vaguely used for a drink.  Apparently they came across a goblin snatcher as they came across the freeway.  From the blood on one of the wagons, I can guess what happened to it.  Immediately after they told me this, there was a commotion on the freeway as one of their guards found another goblin.  Haggled away a few mechanisms for a ton of food, the two barrels of drink they brought with them, and the dog and cat they brought.  I'll figure out what to do with them later.  'Witty' Urdimritas wound up dying from thirst as the second casualty.

Got to leave to check in on some strange rumor I heard about.  Apparently a skeletal batman is now named Olon Likotalen.  Why exactly this is, I'm going to need to be finding out.

Malachite 15, 108

We've had another two snatchers crop up over the past two weeks.  No idea what in the world is causing the goblins to send so many of them our way.  We have what, three children around here?  I mean, at least until one of them was kidnapped.  No one else has died of dehydration yet, but Dolosus and a few other dwarves are fairly unhappy.  None of them have decided to tantrum, but its only a matter of time with the existing dehydration problems.

There's been a long string of skeletal batmen being named.  I have no idea where the whole thing originated from, but it seems that some of the populace is joking around with making sagas surrounding them and other creatures in the chasm.  Why they are doing this I have no idea, but so long as it keeps them entertained and not tantruming, I'll take it.  There is no current known way out of the chasm to threaten us after all.

...Though the surface is another problem.  I get the feeling this is not going to end well.

Malachite 21, 108

The skeletal eagle proved to be less of a problem than I had prior thought.  As I was busy trying to figure out how the hell the fortress bureaucracy works to send a squad out to kill off the eagle, as the process is incredibly complex and hard to work with for some unknown reason, Kogan was somehow able to outrun the creature.  It then seemed that rather than attempting to continue pursuit of another dwarf, it wound up deciding to leave.

After counting the fortune from that, I wound up getting some very interesting news.  Apparently, a leatherworker named Mafol Cattenlakish has gone into a fey mood.  I am not certain what type of artifact will be created aside from likely having leather as a primary component, meaning it will likely be largely useless for combat.  However, if successful, it will be the first artifact of the fortress and the dwarf would have advanced to legendary status.

In a stroke of good fortune, no migrants were attracted this season, so we do have a bit more time before the economy truly kicks off and overturns the fort.  We may even manage to reach the point where it is the next overseer's problem.

Who am I kidding?  This place won't be giving me any breaks.  All of this fortune means that the other shoe is going to drop soon.

Galena 11, 108

The mood is fairly likely to fail.  A lack of leatherworks and everyone being busy with other tasks means that the dwarf is likely to go insane unless someone winds up deciding to go by and actually build the shop.  Shame.

Wildlife has taken to chasing another dwarf around.  This time it was NCommander II being chased by one of the skeletal mountain goats.  Dwarf was always a good distance away from them, but they certainly were gripping quite a bit when they came back in.

A massive cloud of miasma wound up erupting in the dining hall.  It seems some of the refuse hadn't been hauled away in time as a result of everyone being so busy and the distance to the refuse stockpile.  Going to set up one in the south with chimneys to vent it outside like I have set up with the forges.

Limestone 7, 108

Fall has arrived.  Rain still hasn't come to allow us to implement the backup water well.  The chimneys for the forges are near complete, as is near the entirety of the outer walls of the first of the upper dining hall levels.  Still need to get the statues in the alcoves on that floor and the floor below, construct the upper levels, and breach the ground so it is one open space.  No incidents have been reported yet, so it looks like things might actually-

...I really should have expected that.

Limestone 23, 108

The berserker has been put down at the cost of one other dwarf, Sakzul Ustlikot.  I didn't use the most elegant of solutions I can admit, but the level of chaos combined with the madness of trying to order the military meant that 'everyone attack that guy now' was basically all I could do.  It turns out that having about a dozen unorganized people trying to kill you is very effective, believe it or not. 

We had a kobold thief show up later in the month.  At least it is not another goblin, but this is quite frankly getting a tad ridiculous.  How many thieves are running around in these parts?  May start keeping my crossbow with me all the time now so they can't get away.

The dwarven Caravan's come by.  Finally getting to the end of my tenure.  Let's see if we can get some more alcohol out of them.  Getting another still setup to try and get more alcohol coming in, but we're going to want to boost up the current stocks as well.

Hearing some commotion outside.  Going to check it out.

At least it isn't goblins.

Sandstone 1, 108

The caravan's military wound up slaughtering the whole lot of the kobolds on the bridge before the skulking filth could do anything aside from killing the one cat of the fortress.  Thankfully, it was a stray rather than having been adopted by them.

I personally slew another thief on the bridge that decided to crop up in the aftermath.  Leg's a bit wounded, but I can walk it off.  Kobolds are exceptionally weak to getting bashed in the head with a crossbow.

Wasn't the only one.  Another kobold thief was that Meng chased off less than a day later.  Hell's with all the kobolds?

And why is Tun passed out on the wall of the dining hall's future roof?

Sandstone 5, 108

Another fucking kobold thief and another herd of skeletal mountain goats constantly freaking the dwarves out.  I've had enough.  All dwarves, mobilize and kill them.

Success. Meng punched the kobold to death on the bridge.  I kinda wish he threw the kobold over the bridge.  Still, it got the task done.  As for the skeletal mountain goats, we wound up losing Kogan Coggigin when two of the bastards swarmed him before backup came in, the dwarf Oddom Rilemcatten.

Moonstone 19, 108

Fucking damnit.  Been a bit late on the entries, but I recognize the Outpost Liason.  He's the bastard that wound up breaking open the plan to tear down the existing nobility.  Been avoiding him, but he started asking some very...probing questions about my tenure.  Guy may be on to me, but I'm pretty sure I can dodge him til my tenure's up.  Managed to sucker someone else into the meeting with him, and I've done something that was decidedly more...noble.

How's that for replicating their mindset?

Anyway, basically everyone has a bed at this point in time, the dining hall is nearing its final stages, and the food and drink stocks are over a hundred apiece.  We've mostly been free of thieves, with only a couple kobolds only being spotted recently.  Speaking of, Nogoodgames spotted one then threw the bastard off the bridge.  If that wasn't enough, the fading in and out of consciousness kobold wound up running into one of the skeletal mountain goat herds and was torn apart.

Finally, we managed to get ahold of a successful artifact creation, from Kubuk Dodokfikod.  I have detailed it below.

Granite 1, 109

It is finally the end of my tenure as overseer of this fort.  The Liason had been a bit suspicious as he left, but he hasn't done anything yet.  Still, it is good that I am now getting out of the public eye.  I've done some careful phrasing in the message I've left to catch the next overseer up that should throw suspicion off of me, but I think I may reshape my beard and modify my hairstyle as well to make it slightly harder for them to attempt to identify me on future occasions.  May as well detail the relevant parts of the message here for my own use.

First is the export agreement that had been set up for next year.  If I get given the job of being a craftsdwarf, it might wind up proving to be useful.

Afterwards, I started in on detailing the general plans for the primary floor.  Bedroom complex could be expanded west and northwest, with a slight cut-in for the offices where the tunnel for that would extend along to meet with the north-south corridor of the bedrooms.  Should be able to fit the needs of every type of nobility in those offices, if a few of the potential 3x3 were combined into a 3x7 for those with particularly high demands.  Made a note that they should likely get the workshops still in the south moved up to the workshop complex in the northeast, then turn the southern stuff into stockpiles.  Maybe turn the side with the mason's workshop and mechanics workshop into a closer food stockpile area.  Could potentially turn the current early dorms into a barracks and the area below the tower into a training ground.

Tomb was mentioned as being nearly completed.  I noted that they may want a build coffin job on repeat in order to fully fill the thing out.  Mentioned that they might want to have the central stuff be tombs for overseers and other important figures.  We admittedly have one already buried in a random segment and the first is set to be memorialized in the main dining hall, but it could be something for the long term.

For the farms, I only left a message that it is likely a good idea to see if we can use the precipitation we got roughly halfway through the month, or a discovered underground river, to move them closer, as well as a minor note to keep an eye on the food stocks before winter.  We're currently at around eighty unprocessed and twenty processed meals with around one-eighty drinks, but you can't grow stuff in the winter.  Also, they probably want the still and kitchen shifted up to the dedicated workshop area, so dwarves don't have to walk all the way from the food stockpile to there to get those jobs done.  I've already got one still up there, but a second is a good idea for later numbers.

On the ground level, there's a good amount of work to be done.  Marked in red is the areas of the old ground that needs to be cut out, which has to be done one at a time as you really don't want that dropping down into an area with several dwarves running around.  I mean, the next overseer can try, but I would advise against it.  The constructions at the base are currently suspended, except for the left statue.  Once that walk has been cut out, the unsuspend order would be statue, upper wall, then lower wall.

As for the chimneys, those walls are also suspended, pending when the ground is cut away.

Up one layer above ground level is the access point built to construct the upper layers of the dining hall's roof.  This is going to need to be sealed up, likely requiring a ramp being built as the builders have a tendency to build on the north side, which can't be accessed.  This can't be immediately sealed, as there are still sections that need to be completed.  Granted, I think it may be possible to use the roof of the Dining Hall to get above the towers that NCommander had built so you could add a roof.

This is the last section of the roof that needs to be finished off that requires the gap on the former layer.  This needs a fair amount of attention when stuff is being built, as when the columns are made, the dwarves have a tendency to build from the south for some reason, trapping them.  Only reliable solution I have seen is to have them build it up, deconstruct, move north of the area, then rebuild with the stone left behind.  This is, at least until you get to the northern wall, which has only one place the dwarves can stand.  As with before, all but the furthest along are suspended.

Last of all is the idea I had at the beginning of the year that never managed to be implemented.  The arrow represents a southward facing ballista, and the red lines mark modifications to be made for it to be viable.  Basically, flatten the current tower of the highway to be at that level, add ramps to either side which lead to their own towers that have bridges to the trade depot.  Ballista or even crossbow dwarves can fire dead south and impale many foes using the bridge as a chokepoint.  There is one idea that I had which could be viably used as a shortcut for our own forces, specifically having each of those two new towers, rather than hollow, have a staircase going from ground level, with a door before the up stair at that level and a hatch over a down stair at the top.  Though if that is considered an unneccessary risk, just put a floor instead of a down stair and wall up the bottom, and you won't have any scaffolding to tear down.

That's all I left.  As a finish to this entry, may as well show the interior of the Dining Hall.

Save File

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2017, 01:18:10 am »

Alright, I will pickup soonish. Ironically, I'm probably busier now than when I decided to skip, but I think I can make it work.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2017, 11:55:45 am »

Alright, I will pickup soonish. Ironically, I'm probably busier now than when I decided to skip, but I think I can make it work.

Nice. Good luck, I think you're gonna need it.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2017, 12:17:53 pm »

That's a LOT of masonry.

I incidentally nominated the first fort into the hall of legends, we can vote for it a month from now.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2017, 06:07:45 pm »

We're currently at around eighty unprocessed and twenty processed meals with around one-eighty drinks, but you can't grow stuff in the winter.
Wait, what? Unless you're using some special mods, you can definitely grow Plump Helmets and Dimple Cups (and all of the above-ground crops) during the winter...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2017, 01:26:04 pm »

That's a LOT of masonry.

I think the difference between the amount we were able to pull off is partially due to number of dwarves, but more due to the fact that I didn't deal with having to build up then take down scaffolding.

We're currently at around eighty unprocessed and twenty processed meals with around one-eighty drinks, but you can't grow stuff in the winter.
Wait, what? Unless you're using some special mods, you can definitely grow Plump Helmets and Dimple Cups (and all of the above-ground crops) during the winter...

All I know is that it was showing up Red for some reason and nothing was being planted, unlike prior seasons, and the only thing I modded was the config to give me a bigger window to look at the fort with.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2017, 09:51:40 pm »

All I know is that it was showing up Red for some reason and nothing was being planted, unlike prior seasons, and the only thing I modded was the config to give me a bigger window to look at the fort with.
Oh, then that's just this bug - you can't plant seeds at the end of the plant's growing season, and growing seasons don't wrap around from Winter to Spring.

After writing so many binary patches for 0.23.130.23a, maybe I should start writing ones for 0.28.181.40d too - that one's probably simple enough to do...

[edit]
This ought to do it:
Code: [Select]
0x059719 : 3C 03 7D 0A -> FE C0 24 03
0x059723 : 0D -> 0C
Disclaimer: I have not tested this patch, but I'm pretty sure it'll work.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:23:19 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2017, 11:51:27 am »

Nogoodnames, how goes it?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21