Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42549 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Bridgeborn, Land of Bridges)
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2018, 12:03:45 am »

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to take another rain check. Go ahead and boot me to the back of the list. I should be relatively free in two weeks, but the college strike has basically caused all my work to pile up right now.

Once again, sorry. I should have realized I'd end up skipping again sooner. I'll draw some fan art to make up for it once I have some free time.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2018, 01:59:43 pm »

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to take another rain check. Go ahead and boot me to the back of the list. I should be relatively free in two weeks, but the college strike has basically caused all my work to pile up right now.

Once again, sorry. I should have realized I'd end up skipping again sooner. I'll draw some fan art to make up for it once I have some free time.

S’allright, real life comes first. Come back when you have time.

Sending PM to the next guy.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2018, 03:57:42 pm »

Hello, I am the next guy. I have the next days off, but I basically booked them ten minutes before receiving the PM.  My weekend will mostly be dedicated to catching up work delayed by the holidays. I should be a functional human being able to play games by monday morning. Not sure if you guys want to give the turn to someone else, or bear with me for a few days of doing jackshit? Your call.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2018, 04:55:06 pm »

Hello, I am the next guy. I have the next days off, but I basically booked them ten minutes before receiving the PM.  My weekend will mostly be dedicated to catching up work delayed by the holidays. I should be a functional human being able to play games by monday morning. Not sure if you guys want to give the turn to someone else, or bear with me for a few days of doing jackshit? Your call.

Honestly, I’m fine with that. Go nuts.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2018, 08:18:01 pm »

I'm next on the list. I rather this go through as many players before it get handed back to returning ones so I'm OK waiting. I'd even nogoodnames attempt to claim before I go up again.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2018, 04:43:57 pm »

''Fuck this place'' said an important looking dwarf. ''I'm done being the overseer.'' the overseer threw his overseer stick to the ground in disgust. Or was it a staff? It was definitely stick-shaped, and came from the overseer's hands, which made it, by definition, the overseer's stick.

If I get this stick, I can be overseer!

Nobles started arguing:

''You can't give up, we need you!
-Well if he's forfeiting, then I get to be next!
-Hum, no way. You can't just claim the title! said a third dwarf.
-He's right, there's a list. explained some guy with a roll of parchment.''

I subtly navigated my way through the mass of nobles.

''Give me that list!
-No
-Let me handle this, I'll send a letter to the next candidate!
-Letters are too slow, what if the haulers are lazy? We need to decide an overseer now!''

I grabbed the stick.

''Let's just nominate the most competent dwarves in the...
-No we must respect the list!
-no fuck your list, we can't have anyone just... build random things because they called shotgun.
-He's right, so the next candidate would be...
-let's see.''

I shaked my prize over my head with enthusiasm.

''I have the overseer stick!''

They paused. Then they turned back at me slowly. The former overseer started to speak.

''Dude that's a... that's just a broken leg from my bed. Why are you--
-I have the overseer stick! That makes me the overseer!''

The overseer stick was square and surprisingly heavy, as if filled with the burden of responsibilities that found themselves inhabiting me at this very moment.

''That's not how it works.''

I took my first overseer decision and made him shut up with a well placed swing of my overseer staff. He grumbled something and quickly left.

''Fine, whatever.'' said one of the nobles. ''I don't even care anymore.''

They dumped the overseer paperwork in my arms and promptly went their own ways. I could feel the scrolls weighting me down as if they too, like the staff of overseeing, were channeling the burden of responsibility.

(Yo, my screenshots come out all black, what am i doing wrong here.  )
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:35:31 pm by Taupe »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2018, 09:30:51 am »

Whoops, didn’t see that update. Nice job!

As for the photos... I don’t know? Try uploading images through imgur. That generally works for me.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2018, 09:36:13 am »

Were you trying to screenshot the game in fullscreen?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2018, 01:18:12 pm »

Were you trying to screenshot the game in fullscreen?
Is that... bad?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2018, 01:43:42 pm »

Early Spring!

Now that I'm oversereer, I need to apparently solve problems? Shucks, there I was assuming I'd just get a bigger room and get lazy. Bummer. After only a few days, the staff of overseeing starts to not only feel heavy, but also clumsy in my hands, as if it was not only filled with responsibilities, but also with the primal concept of being a crude bed part that's not meant to be held for a week straight.

But enough with my own problems, we need to address some issues, notably the lack of food. I asked a few dudes to hunt down mountain goats, but they keep getting interrupted.

''Interrupted by what exactly?
-By mountain goats!
-...''

Anyway, we'll need more bolts. I leave a note for the manager to take care of it, but ten days later and it still hasn't been validated.

''Where the fuck is that good for nothing manager, and what is he doing?
-But Taupe II, *you* are the manager!
-Wait what, how come nobody ever told me? I assumed i was just a clerk! That's what my profession said!
-And what did you think being a clerk meant?
-...Slacking off?''

Alright, time to validate those orders. I wonder how many wood we have. Asking around, i learn that im also the bookkeeper. Interesting.

my next concern is the manpower, more precisely how every single dwarf in the fort is either slacking off (without a purple title, unacceptable), or digging... a giant cemetary. Why on earth Zenzetsuken decided to dig a graveyard bigger than the fort itself i will never know. I spend the day telling people that its okay to move a pair of shoes that's blocking coffin sites, then notice we are down to three steaks. Fuck.

...Better eat one now before they run short.

''Hey, how's the hunting going, Iton?
-Man I keep getting interrupoted by slugmen.
-well hunt those instead.
-ewww, dude, would *you* eat a slugman corpse?
-Well, no, I'm the overseer. I'd eat steak, you guys would eat the slugman.''

Note to self, we are down to one steak. See, I'm good at bookkeeping. Next step would be to locate my office.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I get lost and find an above-ground facility, and realise I should probably cancel my own work order for bolts before I accidentally find my office and validate it.

Oh no! It's too late! I accidentally did my job! Thankfully everyone is too busy digging a graveyard to make bolts, and no wood is lost.

Time to make a very... drastic decision. I tell people to stop brewing plump helmets, and to start eating them instead. We have enough booze for a while. by my calculation, based on no maths whatsoever, we should run out of alcohol only after I've stepped down from overseer duty, at which point i really cant be blamed for any past decisions.

Then all of a sudden, one of the farmers grab a workshop, and starts screaming.

''I MUST HAVE METAL BARS!
-What for.
-...LEATHER WORKING! i MUST HAVE METAL BARS!''

HEY GUYS! Looks like im stuck in the ''bring shit to the trade depot'' screen. i can toggle everythinbg just fine, but i cant exit the menu, and the suggested shortcut ''F9'' does nothing.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:12:24 pm by Taupe »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2018, 03:04:50 pm »

Your computer one of those that requires a function key to be pressed for it to actually be F9?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2018, 04:02:06 pm »

Your computer one of those that requires a function key to be pressed for it to actually be F9?
Nothing of the sort. The shortcut to the main gate (F1) worked fine before. I'm letting the game run in the background for a few hours, in case im getting a fix. Otherwise I'll just load what I have.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2018, 06:28:50 pm »

Weird, I can't find anything like that on the wiki or on the bug tracker.

What else have you tried besides pressing F9?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2018, 07:13:05 pm »

Great, now I want a custom military squad and weapon called an "Overseer Stick" to be a thing now.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2018, 07:30:50 pm »

Weird, I can't find anything like that on the wiki or on the bug tracker.

What else have you tried besides pressing F9?
All the keys,
All the keys + shift
All the keys + ctrl
All the keys +alt
Then i sort of gave up and terminated the program. I found nothing using my level 3 google-fu either.

EDIT: I'm back to where I was before I lost progress. trade is going smoothly, but...

I just want to point out that we don't seem to have soldiers?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:15:43 pm by Taupe »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21