Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42542 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Bridgeborn, Land of Bridges)
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2018, 09:24:17 am »

Dum de dum de doo, reading update
Dum de dum de doo, downloading save
Dum de dum de doo, checking out fortress
Dum de dum d-JESUS CHRIST

Why do all of my succession forts always turn out to be complete clusterfucks?

Anywho, great job Taupe! Sending PM to NCommander
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2018, 02:08:02 pm »

Got no response from NCommander, so we moving on to nogoodnames.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2018, 04:33:05 pm »

Figures you caught me at the worst possible time. I just checked back into the forums. Put me back on the list, sorry for no response ont he PM.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2018, 05:15:15 pm »

Alright, I definitely have time to do this now. I'll probably start tomorrow.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2018, 05:26:53 pm »

Figures you caught me at the worst possible time. I just checked back into the forums. Put me back on the list, sorry for no response ont he PM.

No problem. Back on the list ye go

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2018, 11:35:48 pm »

Well, it's been a rough year. Food shortages, goblins, dead overseers, and now the replacement overseer has been carried off by a giant eagle.

Some people are coping with the loss better than others.

I wonder who they'll find to take the blame for this mess now?

Huh, is that an old bedpost lying there? Taupe must have been hauling that to the refuse pile when the eagle swooped him up. Well, there's no sense in wasting good wood. I'll just take it back to my workshop and-

"Hey everyone, look, Nogoodnames has the overseer's staff! He's the new overseer!"

...Shit.

== Overseer's Log: 1st Granite ==

I've been looking over the records, and things are not looking good. Some lunatic has banned the brewing of plump helmets, the only source of alcohol in this gods forsaken mountain. There's not a drop of booze left in the fortress. Thirsty dwarves have resorted to lapping up stagnant water from a puddle outside, like wild beasts.

It seems awfully convenient that as soon as this crisis starts coming to a head, our overseer gets killed by a giant eagle. To top it off, no one admits to having actually seen the eagle, and there are none flying around right now. I may have to have sheriff DolosusDoleus look into this.

Adding to my suspicions, one of the lesser-known peasants has taken to calling himself "Taupe IV." He claims it's just an old family name, but I'm watching him.

Elsewhere in the fortress, a glassmaker by the name of Domas Jadeshields is demanding a list of materials for some kind of project. This poses a problem, as we have no source of sand to make the glass he is screaming for. I am hopeful that the elves will bring a few bags of it, but he could still snap if they take too long. Just in case, I've ordered the masons to install a sturdy stone door on his workshop. For his own safety, of course.

My top priority for now must be to resolve this alcohol crisis. Afterwards, I will try to diversify the farms and locate the underground river our surveyors predicted, so that this problem doesn't happen again.
                        - Random human lord

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2018, 08:52:57 pm »

Hey, would you check on a few of the things I mentioned in my last entry?  Could've sworn I saw one of the above-forge chimneys open and I think I saw the area I wanted mined in the second layer of the dining hall still there.  Latter's more of a aesthetic concern, but I know I saw at least those two things in the updates.  Admittedly, haven't checked out the fort save, myself, so this may be a moot concern.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2018, 10:13:20 pm »

The chimneys are closed. The ceiling is still there but I'll chip away at it.

== Overseer's Log: Entry 2 ==

Sadly, Domas couldn't take anymore waiting, and slipped into melancholy a few days after my rule began. Hopefully his moping isn't too detrimental to moral.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The elves arrived shortly after.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They didn't bring any sand, so Domas was doomed regardless, but they did have a decent bounty of food and drink. Their swill may not compare to good dwarven brew, but it'll stave off sobriety well enough while the farm situation gets sorted. Zanzetkuken managed to swindle them out of everything useful for a few salvaged goblin clothes. Unfortunately, they didn't have any animals more exotic than a tame wolf, but it could make a decent guard dog.
                        - Random human lord

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2018, 06:46:38 pm »

The elves arrived shortly after. ... They didn't bring any sand
Sand didn't become a trade good until version 0.31, along with stuff like waterskins, quivers, backpacks, buckets, and raw glass - see the wiki for a full list of what merchants can bring (and which you can specifically request from the Dwarven and Human caravans).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2018, 02:11:52 pm »

Aw hell, did I really miss this happening?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2018, 03:50:44 pm »

Hell are you talking about?  Last turn update was only 4 days ago.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2018, 09:25:44 am »

Bompity domp domp doo, how's it going nogoodnames?

Good to have you back. You want a turn?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2018, 10:52:13 am »

I have to say, that was some badass charge to route entire army. Future looks promising. Maybe
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2018, 08:47:45 pm »

Sorry for moving so slowly. I'll try to have a big update tomorrow.
                        - Random human lord

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2018, 11:18:35 pm »

Now that the booze shortage has been temporarily resolved, I can focus on one of the other various ways this deathtrap is going to kill us all. Given the goblin rampage during the last season, our defenses should probably be my top priority.

Sure, we can raise the drawbridges and be safe from anything that can't fly, but that's just ignoring the problem. It also leaves anyone trapped outside to fend for themselves, and that's just not the dwarven way! Conventional wisdom would say a strong militia is the key, but that's how they get you. Once you start relying on a few elite soldiers for protection, you reintroduce the whole feudal power system. Pretty soon you're back to the same mess as the old MountainHomes. Well not here! We've gotten a unique opportunity to shape this little bastion of civilization as we see fit. To that end our defenses should be based on the hard work and craftsdwarfship of our citizens, not the strength of a group of thugs.

Yes, I will make a great tower filled with traps and obstacles. Narrow walkways, spinning axe blades, shooting galleries, yes! I can see it now! This will be the finest gauntlet the goblins will ever face. I've drawn up the work orders, the foundations should be in before the end of Spring!

The season has mostly passed without incident. Migrants showed up in early Felsite, bringing the total population to 63. Most of them are unskilled, fodder for the trap tower and future construction projects.

Given the jump in population, it was decided to institute mayoral elections. Ast Regugosh, former expedition leader and metalsmith, was elected. DolosusDoleus also took the opportunity to declare himself captain of the newly formed fortress guard. So far nothing has changed besides both of them demanding much more lavish accommodations.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21