Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42544 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | Bridgeborn, Land of Bridges)
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2018, 10:56:33 pm »

Domas, the moody glassmaker decided to make room for the new migrants by finally dying of thirst. Sad, but considerate.

The tower is progressing reasonably well thanks to the influx of stone haulers, but there have been several setbacks. Workers are constantly getting spooked by skeletal mountain goats. As far as I'm aware, the goats haven't actually attacked anyone, but the pansies still run away and then refuse to go back to the piece of wall they were working on until I order them back. Bah, bunch of stone-coddled cave dwellers would never make it as woodcutters. On top of that, DolosusDoleus hurt his arm in a mining accident and is just lying in bed all day. I've got a mangled lung but you don't see me complaining about it!

Now the mayor is demanding we make him some zinc crap. Where exactly we are supposed to get the zinc he did not elaborate on. Hopefully a caravan brings some before he decides one of the the metalsmiths should get a beating.

I had hoped that the new miners I drafted would at least be competent enough to avoid dropping massive slabs of rock on unsuspecting diners without me explicitly telling them, but I guess not. Fortunately, there were only a few minor injuries. And now there's a nice unsightly hole in the dining hall to compliment the unsightly overhang.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2018, 03:25:54 pm »

I'd like a turn and a dorfing!
Crocatowa;Smithy;Any Metalworking (all metalworking?);Male
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2018, 08:48:19 pm »

Done!

Pretty appropriate last name too. You're just a novice now, but we've got plenty of giant axe blades that need making.

The humans of the Thrifty Empire have arrived! Hopefully the name is not too indicative of their trading habits. We need that zinc!

While everyone was scrambling to move things to the depot, one of the migrant children had their birthday. They're now old enough to work in an official capacity. Fresh, supple hands for the rock pits!

Things are going well. I don't see why everyone thinks being an overseer is so hard. All you do is point at what you want done and your subjects do it! Sure there's the occasional undead rodent freaking the workers out, and things are going a bit slow for my liking, but overall it's a cakewalk. One wonders what could possibly have caused previous administrations such grief.

"Goblin squad! Sighted to the northeast!"

Oh right, them.

Well, no matter. We'll just raise the drawbridge and.... oh, wait. The tower is still open. They can just walk right up the stairs. Not good.

It's just a small group of ambushers, but there are probably more hidden in the hills. Looks like I'll have to resort to a militia after all. Time for a crash course in military organization.
                        - Random human lord

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2018, 10:56:00 am »

Thanks!

EDIT:
That description is scarily accurate... Other than the quick to anger, lol
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2018, 06:00:19 pm »

Roight. Nice job!

I'd like a turn and a dorfing!
Crocatowa;Smithy;Any Metalworking (all metalworking?);Male

Putting you in the turn list.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2018, 08:24:37 am »

Is there the economy in this game?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2018, 08:56:47 am »

Yes, this was the last version of Dwarf Fortress in which the Economy existed, and it activated when the Baron arrived (unless you disabled it in init.txt).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2018, 11:25:49 am »

Yes, this was the last version of Dwarf Fortress in which the Economy existed, and it activated when the Baron arrived (unless you disabled it in init.txt).
I mean, did you guys disable it?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2018, 11:44:42 am »

I mean, did you guys disable it?
Nope.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2018, 09:46:42 pm »

Taupe IV has graciously volunteered to lead our unskilled peasant militia against the goblins. Hopefully they can scrounge up a few weapons from somewhere. They'll keep back and hold the main stairwell while the human caravan guards provide the first line of defense. I hate to use our guests like this, but they're the only ones here actually suited to combat. If worst comes to worst, we can still raise the marble bridge and lock ourselves in. This will put a significant dent in the construction efforts, pity.

In the midst of all the excitement, a new mayor was elected. A stoneworker by the name of Atis Togumbomrek. At least that takes care of the mandate.

All citizens are safe indoors, except for one. Zanzetkuken has apparently decided to talk business with the human guild representative on top of the tower's scaffolding. While his dedication is admirable, there's probably a better location for the meeting.

The goblins seemed content to sit on their hill and taunt us, much to my annoyance. Unfortunately, one of the draftees decided he wanted to loot a pile of clothes near them. Looks like we're not getting out of here without at least one casualty.

Rest in peace, Libash. He got one good punch in and then they ripped him apart. However, they still aren't moving towards the fort. I'm relaxing the alert to allow the construction workers back outside. Hopefully they can close off the tower and we'll be safe.

A vain hope it seems. A second squad springs from ambush right at the foot of the tower! Zanzetkuken is surrounded!

- Random human lord

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2018, 11:09:11 pm »

Taupe IV has graciously volunteered to lead our unskilled peasant militia against the goblins

Awww fuck.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2018, 12:18:33 pm »

There's always one who gets repeat-resurrected Taupe, lolol

For you, it's like a strange cycle of ruling, like the game Reigns

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2018, 11:36:19 pm »

Well this is a fine mess. Taupe has decided that now is the best time to take a nap, and no one has been able to rouse him. Few of the militia seem to have found a suitable weapon. The metalsmiths refuse to make more while the lockdown is in effect because apparently the chimneys are too close to "outdoors" to risk it. Bloody wastrels will use any excuse, even in a crisis.

In addition to Zanzetkuken, there are several masons outside who were trying to patch up the tower when the ambush appeared. I can't just leave them to die out there, not without a fight. This will probably end poorly, but I'm assigning a new militia leader and sending them out to cover the fleeing masons. May the gods favour those poor fools.

Miraculously, Zanzetkuken has managed to outrun the ambushers and actually spread them out enough that the militia might have a chance. On overeager draftee got axed, but his comrades were able to take down his killer in turn. Now if only these idiots running around could figure out where the doors are!

Wait, what are you doing? WILL YOU USELESS INCOMPETENTS PLEASE STOP FALLING ASLEEP WHILE GOBLINS TRY TO KILL YOU!!

Well, even with their narcoleptic commander, the recruits managed to take out most of the second ambush squad. Taupe IV took a nasty blow to the leg, and everyone is a bit on edge, but we've only lost two dwarves. I hate to speak ill of the dead, but frankly, they got themselves killed with their recklessness.

Zanzetkuken is still hanging around outside. Against all odds he managed to dodge past the goblins and escape unscathed. The human guild representative is once again trying to hold a meeting with him out there. I don't know what they're talking about that's so important, but they'd better wrap it up and get in here before the remaining ambushers decide to demonstrate the finer points of goblin weaponsmithing.
                        - Random human lord

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2018, 12:39:16 pm »

I'm here. Existing.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2018, 01:02:51 pm »

Ptw I never played any version before DF2014 maybe I will join.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21