Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42038 times)

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)
« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2018, 01:48:08 pm »

I don't want to say "sign me up" yet, but I feel like I can get used to playing the 40d version of DF again, and then try to do a turn.

Alternatively, you take a turn and just take your time with it, and if you screw up have fun with it, it's just good story telling!
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2018, 05:36:29 pm »

I don't want to say "sign me up" yet, but I feel like I can get used to playing the 40d version of DF again, and then try to do a turn.

Alternatively, you take a turn and just take your time with it, and if you screw up have fun with it, it's just good story telling!

Indeed. In my own experience, it's a lot more fun to have very little idea of what you're doing.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2018, 10:51:08 pm »

First Update: Spring 112

"What do I know about being a mayor? I'm just a farmer... I guess anything is possible in this crazy place, anything is better than facing off against those undead freaks outside. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whats this? Some strange stick ended up in the well's bucket. Maybe I can use it in the field... what?! I'm overseer now? Oh boy... lets just figure out whats going on here.

"Well the farms are looking ok, could probably use a little more activity going on here."

"We don't really have and logs, we still have some charcoal but not a lot of good metal for making excellent weapons or armor to defend our new home from the horrors of the world.

"We could probably replace our need for most wood if we could do something about those "fire imps" I've heard rumors about. What are they and how do you even stop something that can live in lava?"

"Whats this?"

"I don't know and I don't want to know what these freaky elfs want with our smelly, old, tattered, and basically trash clothing. If those rubes are willing to give up their entire caravan of wood and cloth for clothing for our trash, then so be it.   I just hope they haven't braught cloth to us in hopes of us making more clothing to repeat the cycle.... nope! Don't think about it!"

"Just after we made the 'deal' with the elfs, a scrap of paper flew into my face."
"Hmmm... this does seem like important information. I'll keep it in mind."

"One of our children was taken with a fey mood."

"I won't deny that having more talented dwarfs in the fortress is a boon to us all, if we survive to enjoy the benefits, hmmm what to do. Well I decided that our lack of iron and steel production on site can be negated through solid trade with the homeland, and to trade we will need more trade goods out of what we do have"

"More crafting shops and a few more leather works, plus some looms and clothing shops. With the spider webs available in the exploratory mineshafts we should be able to get some silk production going in addition to some pigtail farming for more practical clothing."

"Whats this?"

"Oh, some fools migrants have arrived, how many?"

"Close to twenty?! Well I guess there's safety in numbers... but now the number of beards we have to feed is greater too."

"One of our military leaders has collected all of the merrit badges nessisary in our custom to become a legendary champion, I am told."
"I just hope these 'pile driver' training sessions Zefon "The hammer" Anvilstrap keeps talking about actually work in real battle."

"Maybe he will get to test them out soon enough"

"About four goblins, maybe those goblin ambushers we kept finding but were unable to catch helped lead this group to us. But alas, it is now summer, as such the new seasonal catalogs need to be prepared before any new battles can be ordered, something written on the stick about proper procedure of beurocracy."
[/spoiler]

Spring is over, Summer will be next.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2018, 05:32:31 am »

Lol at that merit badge line.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2018, 10:10:11 pm »

You might be able to do the whole "channel next to the magma and Fortify a hole" to get production going
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2018, 10:08:35 am »

Season 2, the folly reign of 'Banjo'.

Wishing to deal with the goblin ambushers, a squad was chosen to go out and handle the situation. However, the leader of the squad chose to have more important prioroties.
"Oh come on, you're really going to go eat while there's goblins to deal with? Wait.. What now?"

"Oh come on, another ambush just after the humans arrive, AND our second squad commander is asleep? Ok Ok, call off the attack for now, bunker up."

"hey... wait! what?"

"Ok fine, so I'm not mayor any more, at least I'm still overseer for the time being."

"Well that was a fine trade, thanks humans... oh no the goblins are actually deciding to invade the trade depot! Levers! Guards! Somebody!"

Like lambs to the slaughter, our trading card champion champion wrestler led the Orbs of Land into battle and bled to death like a green recruit. Many others perished as well.

All said and done, the Orbs of Land were wiped out, and we were down to 88 dwarfs.

But that was not all.
"Oh no.. poor Domas, and Edem too?"

"What?! A skeletal giant eagle has invaded our fortress?!"

"I wonder what else could go wrong.... well one thing is clear, we need iron or steel for our millitary, spears and crossbows won't do, we need battle axes and hammers, chainmail is nice, but platemail is better, we must tap the magma."
The pit where magma will be pooled into is under way. But Summer has ended, and Autumn is now here. Time for a little beurocratic paperwork before we continue.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2018, 11:11:15 am »

Like lambs to the slaughter, our trading card champion champion wrestler led the Orbs of Land into battle and bled to death like a green recruit.

Well... It's likely they got shot...
So... bringing fists to a gun crossbow fight...

Which in 40d were like arrow machine guns

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2018, 12:14:07 pm »

I'm quite happy I survived (I am on active military duty, right?), but just where I was when our military was destroyed?  :o
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2018, 01:19:49 pm »

I'm quite happy I survived (I am on active military duty, right?), but just where I was when our military was destroyed?  :o
It looks like your dwarf was not in the millitary when I downloaded the save file, and has been part of the farming/weaving force. Grand master grower, proficient brewer, weaver, dabbling clothier, etc.

While one squad was eliminated, the entire force was not destroyed. We still have 12 dwarfs left in the millitary and I am actually ready to update again with the last two seasons.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 16, 2018, 03:02:05 pm »

Save uploaded and available here.
Autumn & Winter, final update for year 112.

"Before we lose too many more dwarfs, we need to finish the lava tap and begin a real metal industry" I mutter to myself, lucikly the miners have finished most preperations to tap the magma.

"It seems another fey mood has happened, good luck Zas."

"Even as we have hope of a new crafter from a fey mood, emotions are running high, as another berserk rage happens."

"More or slain by the berserker before they can be taken down. And the human guild representative is taken with melancholy, wandering off to who knows where. "

"The 'failure' of the millitary due to a commander falling asleep or getting hungry makes it apparant that if we are to keep a standing force, they should be smaller squads so that fewer forces are unavailable when a leader thinks they are too important than their own duty. "

"With one of our 'recruits' spending months in bed with a bruised shoulder, they were removed from active duty, and the rest were divided into squads of four.  All weapon designations removed for now, with the reccomendation that axes or hammers be selected in the future. Their armor and shields reduced to nothing for the time being as well while equipment can be reorganized and new production can begin."

"The magma has been tapped."

"A new work area for metal production and storage has been designated."
"All other weapon, armor, and bar stockpiles have been removed, and replaced with stockpiles one level above the magma smelters and forges. This should keep the bars close to the forges, and all items designated to be melted from getting too far from the smelters."

"Not many other events happened. A skeletal goat tried to invade our fortress.
but it was taken down by our brave citizenry."

"Unfortunately zas did not get the materials needed, and went stark raving mad!"

"The year has ended, another dwarf was taken by a strange mood, and sits waiting for a few materials to begin construction, logs and tanned hides may need to be aquired by the next overseer."

"Training seemed to be doing well for the 12 dwarfs in our 3 squads, with many of them becoming trading card wrestling champions themselves."

"We still have 92 dwarfs, thanks to a migrant wave replacing most of the dwarfs lost in the last few months. 9 Champions in our ranks training in wrestling.  I still suggest hammers or battle axes instead of spears or swords.  The smelters are up and running.  With trade from the caravans that made it this year, I have aquired a few more iron and steel items that I intend to melt down to bars, along with most of the equipment that has been designated to be melted as well. I reccomend keeping these items set to melt, and also that when more copper or bronze pickaxes can be made, that any iron or steel pickaxes be melted down as well.  With the number of metal bars available to us about to increase, I expect full sets of iron or steel armor should soon be able to me made by whoever takes control next, with at least iron weapons being available for the millitary. Wooden shields should be good enough as any ammount of metal would better be served as armor."

"This year went by quickly. I was mayor, then unelected back down to a planter, but as overseer I have started gathering spider silk thread, expanded our crafting capacity, and tapped the magma, freeing us from the constraints of wood fuel for our metal industry. We may have lost many dwarfs already. But if we don't crack mentally, we stand a fighting chance of destroying any undead or goblins that try to take us down.  Now I guess I'll put this stick down somewhere, and hope the next overseer is able to build upon what I have done. I'm going back to the fields, I hope those cheeky skeletons don't find their way in."

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2018, 03:18:30 pm »

Does anyone have a copy Dwarf Therapist that will work with 40d? lol
I fell like that's quite necessary at this point...

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2018, 03:26:40 pm »

The players list don't seem to be updated
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2018, 03:36:26 pm »

The players list don't seem to be updated

Whoops. Fixing now.

On another note, would anyone be interested in taking another turn? I’ll let it happen.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 16, 2018, 04:36:28 pm »

There is dwarf therapist for 40d, version 4.2 is the most up to date version of dwarf therapist that still supports 40d. I did download it but ended up not using it for this turn.

I kind of like this fortress more now, and wouldn't mind doing another turn, but would of course let anyone else go again before me if they want to.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 16, 2018, 04:40:11 pm »

I, too, will sign up for another.

I forgot how horrible fun 40d was!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21