Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)  (Read 42044 times)

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! (v0.28.181.40d | NEW OVERSEERS URGENTLY NEEDED)
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2018, 12:59:42 pm »

So are we still waiting for a final update on the year?  Should someone else take over from the last save and run a year?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 25, 2018, 01:57:00 am »

Bloop_Bleep has not uploaded an updated save yet, or announced end of turn.

I will totally take it and run with it as soon as that happens.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 25, 2018, 05:58:37 am »

Yeah but its been a few weeks, is Bloop_Bleep even going to finish the turn at this point? You could probably take the last save and start a new "alternative timeline" or whatever. I think?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:05 pm »

Yeah, guys, I'm not going to be able to finish my turn at this point. You can pass the save on to the next overseer.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 25, 2018, 10:47:28 pm »

Ok. I will download and start late tonight.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2018, 04:25:53 pm »

Godspeed
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2018, 10:50:59 pm »

I have downloaded the save and am looking over the site.  I need to figure out the current status, then plan.

Ok, For a moment I thought we had a real lemon of a start site. I see that we have both chasm AND underground river.  This makes the "Mountain, no trees, no plants" embark not so horribad.  First item on agenda, planning tower-cap growing chamber.

In these older versions, you could only grow tower caps using an underground water source to create the mud. The river will provide. 

The location directly to the right of the well, in the mining excavation area, will become the new home of the carpentry industry. Wood stockpile and carpentry shop will be installed there. The space below will have a lever controlled floodgate installed, feeding directly from the space that feeds the well in the room above. After the room is set to flood, the water depth in that 1 tile wide canal will drop sufficiently to permit channeling it a bit deeper. This will prevent mud from getting into the buckets when dwarves use the well, and discourage bad thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:00:26 pm by wierd »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #292 on: April 27, 2018, 06:33:01 pm »

In these older versions, you could only grow tower caps using an underground water source to create the mud. The river will provide. 
Actually, it works exactly the same as it does in the current version - it doesn't matter where the water comes from, as long as you discover a map feature that contains the necessary "spores" to trigger plant growth (in 40d this was an Underground Pool or Underground River, while in 0.31 and later it's a water-bearing Cavern Layer).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 28, 2018, 06:44:02 pm »

Does not matter in the end, as the most convenient water is still the underground river.

In other news, which levers operate the bridges? I really dont feel like messing with ambushes.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 28, 2018, 09:18:56 pm »

I think there's some notes you can read which mark them

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 28, 2018, 10:41:16 pm »

I think I have them figured out.  Activated the trap-way bridge, deactivated the wagon-bridge.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I have them figured out.  Activated the trap-way bridge, deactivated the wagon-bridge.

Cool, when you planning to post an update?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, My Employer decided that they needed to have me work 7 days solid, shortly after getting the save. This is unusual, I normally dont work more tha 4 consecutive.

It is now the weekend, and I have finished moving the big assed recliners I bought into my gaming lounge upstairs.  I am pushing the save onto my big computer, and will start rockin' it.

As for where I am at--  I just finished digging out the area that will be the new tree growing room, and have been waiting patiently for the mechanic to finally decide that installing the mechanisms to the floodgate would be a good idea to finish. (Granted, it was chugging along at 9fps on the chromebook)

An invasion force of some 12 goblins showed up.  I have deactivated the main bridge system, and activated the trap hallway bridge.  So far the goblins are just ambling about being idiots, so I have avoided posting about them. 

Next, after I get the floodgate all hooked up and working, I will flood the lumber production room, then I will see about trying to make this fortress a little more efficient. There is very inefficient pathing, and too much walk distance between work centers, raw material stock piles, and the dining hall. This produces a lot of wasted dwarf movement, which translates into insufficient reserve stocks of things like food and booze.  I intend to investigate the current situation, then plan out more efficient workshop/storage allocations to improve production performance.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1 Galena, late summer

Goblins finally decided to come up the tower. Rocks on the head do it every time. Siege averted.
A mood failed, and somebody went melancholy. Oh darn.
A migrant wave arrived.
Building a still closer to the food stockpile so that more time is spent making booze instead of pathing has given great results. Instead of barely clinging to 50 booze, the fortress rapidly shot past 200 booze. Maybe now I will stop seeing spam about giving water, and wont feel so worried when I see booze hit single digits.

This fortress is very, very inefficient. Clever trap pathway, but very poor vertical integration with stockpiles and downstream industries. The graveyard interferes with vertical integration potential with the existing industrial center. This only leaves surface construction to provide the needed real estate. Now that the wood growing chamber has been successfully build, flooded, and dried (and mushrooms are growing!), this overseer will focus on efficiency improvement projects.

First up, construction of a "Stockroom suite" warehouse complex directly above the existing industrial sector.
After that: Water plumbing to move food production closer to the food stockpile; industrial vertical for kitchen. Sadly, butcher shop likely needs to remain in non-reanimating biome for safety reasons.
Finally: Surface enclosed growing complex for surface crop production.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder if we're at the point of calling this dead?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21