Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Name bug?  (Read 1242 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Name bug?
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:39:08 am »

Hi guys,

How is this possible? Is it a bug? I swear I didn't assume any identity yet, not that I think it should be relevant for description screen...

https://imgur.com/a/HhbTQ

1st pic: char creation
2nd pic: char creation
3rd pic: now

I mean they have the same first name, appearance, worship the same good, what you see on the map was my starting place, a manipulation error is really unlikely.

I ported a 44.01 save to 44.02 if that's relevant.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:44:49 am by dragdeler »
let

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 04:56:21 pm »

Can't actually make out your picture on my phone (too blurry), but is it not just showing the English translated last name in one pic and the original (dwarfish/elvish/human) in the other?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:22:41 pm »

My last name Lolok became Edëmkasben (granite became keytuft)
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:19:50 am »

Confirmed!

Since my world was lacking kobolds and towers, and the ocean kept freezing and unfreezing (0% fun, 100% fps drain), I decided to start over despite having invested more than 100h in my last adventurer.

So I go for exactly the same name as before: "Bomrek Lolok". How is he called now? Bomrek "zulbangikut" Bannerdabbles the Diamond Dive of Whispers. I mean yeah they choose titles for themselves at some point, last run I had "slayer of responsibilities" which was very cool, ok... But I'm getting kind of annoyed at this.

Will the game even be able to handle his ID properly and make him do stuff while I don't control him? Or will he just become a buggy statue?
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:20:09 am »

Digging deeper:

My adventurer enters the settlement I founded beforehand , everybody greets me ending their phrases by: "I have nothing for you", am I still of the same civ? I try to ease them up with entertaining, talking arguing... They remain stonecold. I talk to them for a while then I ask about myself.

"You are a brigand and The Handle of Crushing are dangerous outlaws."

Investigation tells that the handle of crushing has their seat in... my hometown. Ok so I guess I still am who I was, just that my name changed. So I try becoming part of the subgovernement with music since the militiacommander, understandably, doesn't want to have me.

"You are a brigand and The Handle of Crushing are dangerous outlaws.  You are also a great bard."

That doesn't make it any easier on me. Is it normal that you can't ask to stay overnight in player fortresses? And will I be able to completly change my name with Dwarf Therapist in fortress mode, without "deleting" my history?

Also

Now that I'm entertainer, if I switch to fortress mode the adventurer will still be there right? But will he suffer social consequences (full citizenship?) because he is an outlaw?Should I join the fortress under my secret identity?

There are too many possibilities, I'm kind of lost and I not at all tempted to run parallel worlds to compare results in order to understand my choices.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:27:39 am by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 02:47:07 pm »

Okay I rolled back about [check timestamps]... I am now Bomrek Lolok again.

In case anybody wondered entertainer =/= full citizenship.

And my alternative identity makes the npc friendlier, but since the militia commander still won't have me as a recruit, it's hard to say what's my best option to avoid future rollbacks to this exact point :-[

Sorry for the spam.
let

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 05:47:19 am »

I just checked this and yeah when you only assign half a name it gives you a random one on a kill, if you assign no name your first kill gives a first name, then it'll start filling out the last/title parts.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 08:11:43 am »

By the way I checked legends and everything, apart the name, seems to be in order. Thank you, I feel less crazy now...

On the topic of crazy: guess I'll have to paint my protagonist as mentally unstable to make any sense of it at this point. What a weird privilige to discover this.
let