Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mirroring laptop and computer displays on TV  (Read 1027 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Mirroring laptop and computer displays on TV
« on: November 26, 2017, 01:14:34 pm »

Please do not quote:

Hello fellow formites who are tech inclined.

Happily, I mirrored my laptop screen onto a 40 inch TV (HDMI input) via an attachment. I belive it's "WIDI." That's fantastic. I enjoy seeing my screen there.

Issue: I can't seem to mirror games such as Fallout 4, on the TV screen. I can mirror other, less intensive games, but there may be lag (between laptop screen and TV Screen).

Is anyone else familiar with these types of things? Is it simply that the technology isn't fantasitc yet? Is it that the TV isn't the same as a game / computer monitor, or is the wireless signal just always going to cause delays? Can any of these be solved with a physical HDMI cable?

Thank you for your consideration,
Truean

Please do not quote:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:25:00 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Mirroring laptop and computer displays on TV
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:55:21 pm »

If I had to hazard a guess, your graphics card driver is probably expecting your laptop resolution and then getting sent to your much larger TV and going 'errrr......." Or it could be that your widi is getting confused by it. I'd try some google searches based around that. What I see of widi seems mostly aimed at TV, so maybe the widi is bottling necking on gaming and completely shitting the bed on a AAA game like FO4?

Sorry, I don't know much of anything about widi, I only really do wired connections.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 07:04:22 pm »

Most modern laptops have HDMI out...  Usually, there is a Fn+F(x) combo key that cycles between "HDMI, Built in display, or BOTH at once" and the display driver obeys this combo key.

Which laptop (brand and model) are you using? Maybe I can find this for you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 10:39:05 pm »

Please do not quote:

Thanks guys.

Dell Insprion 15 5000 series.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500 CPU 2.70 GHz 2.90 Ghz
Installed Ram: 8.00 GB

I'm honestly unsure about the aspect ratios or screen settings. I could and might purchase a wire in the future HDMI....

The function key advice doesn't seem to have had much effect, though to be honest, I may have somehow done it wrong.

Thank you both.

Please do not quote:

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:05:52 am »

Ok, that beastie uses Intel HD 5500 graphics.

According to Intel... Here are the instructions to enable native clone mode.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005752/graphics-drivers.html

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 12:27:36 am »

or is the wireless signal just always going to cause delays? Can any of these be solved with a physical HDMI cable?
This is very likely the core problem. I recommend not using wireless for anything if it can be avoided.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 12:39:09 am »

Oh! Wireless!?

That's the problem. There are dozens of complaints on the Intel support forums about this. They say it is a Microsoft issue. Microsoft says it is an Intel issue. They point fingers at each other; nothing gets done.

See this example exchange.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/117925

Take away:  Use physical cable. Turn on cloning, problem solved!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 02:17:09 am »

I was gonna suggest that but I was guessing the reason she was using widi in the first place is she didn't want 4 or 5 feet+ of cable running across the floor.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 09:13:03 pm »

Thanks guys, I'm going to have to look into this a little further. I think the graphics card might have something to do with it. It's nice enough for some streaming but gameplay isn't in the cards for wireless mirroring right this second.

To be continued.

Please don't quote me.