Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So. Hawaii. Let's Talk about that.  (Read 4928 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: So. Hawaii. Let's Talk about that.
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 04:30:31 pm »

...You guys did check eruption forecast before you made this investment, right?

Wouldn't want to miss out.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2017, 05:16:08 pm »

...You guys did check eruption forecast before you made this investment, right?

While I personally did not or hear of such a thing, I can't possibly imagine Dad not doing so, if I'm considering everything I've learned about him during my entire life so far.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2017, 06:20:37 pm »

And here we go. It took a bit longer than it should have, but...

Here we go.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2017, 07:06:38 pm »

Have any garden planned out? I'm sure neighbors would appreciate you cultivating native flowers, herbs and vegetables. BTW did you know that legumes have been reclassified to 'butterfly wings'?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2017, 08:35:49 pm »

Have any garden planned out? I'm sure neighbors would appreciate you cultivating native flowers, herbs and vegetables. BTW did you know that legumes have been reclassified to 'butterfly wings'?

Yup! Garden is on the to-do list.

Hmm... butterfly wings? No I haven't heard that... I'm gonna have to google that now.
No informative results... this either means that I completely misunderstood what you were trying to say or someone's leg is getting pulled, either mine or yours. Or maybe there's a third option I'm too dumb to see.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 09:35:55 pm »

Geesh, you must have gotten quite the scare today
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2018, 06:16:52 am »

I just saw on the news earlier that some thing accidentally set off an alert about an incoming missile good thing it was a mistake, I bet that it was scary, hopefully every thing is okay there now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2018, 06:36:31 am »

Hawaiian authorities say someone accidentally pressed the wrong button. Trump instead says he has been informed of an emergency drill.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2018, 07:17:55 am »

Hawaiian authorities say someone accidentally pressed the wrong button. Trump instead says he has been informed of an emergency drill.

For all intents and purposes, it can be called an emergency drill. Only the drill was an emergency rather than a drill OF an emergency.
And of course someone would tell Trump it was a drill. Just think of how he'd react if someone told him "oops, wrong button".

It does sound like a need to revise the emergency alert system if an accidental button press can cause this kind of panic, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2018, 07:26:57 am »

They should consider installing smaller buttons, so it's harder to press them on accident.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2018, 07:31:30 am »

I find it hard to believe it was accidental. A button like that would be THE thing that every employee is told about to NEVER push unless nescessary.
I think it's more likely a case of either disgruntled employee, or some idiot that thought it'd be funny, or made a bet with friends.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2018, 12:10:25 pm »

I find it hard to believe it was accidental. A button like that would be THE thing that every employee is told about to NEVER push unless nescessary.
I think it's more likely a case of either disgruntled employee, or some idiot that thought it'd be funny, or made a bet with friends.

There were plenty of mistakes made during the Cold War that nearly led to actual war, none of them malicious. So, I wouldn't attribute it to someone being a jerk without proof that it actually was.

This one was on the civil alert side though, not military, but that doesn't diminish the panic it caused.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2018, 12:44:23 pm »

Eh... official-ish line I've seen is that someone (maybe newish?) autofired their way through a yes/no prompt. That thing a lot of folks that catch the occasional virus or malware do where they click buttons on autopilot during an installation, basically. Seems like they've already changed it to need two-stage authorization, for what that's worth, or whatever the hell the word is where it needs more than one person. Gods know if the rapid implementation is going to cause bugs in the near future.

It apparently was part of a fairly common drill, but so far as pretty much friggin' anyone (outside maybe the joint that triggered the alert) was concerned, no one knew it was for a good chunk of an hour. Y'know, 'nuff time for a bit of the state to get glassed.

... that said, this incident did just tell the world it would probably be real fucking easy right now to launch a decapitation strike on the US. POTUS, on yet another tax funded golfing trip, was apparently either not informed or didn't give a fuck one of our states (and one of the ones most likely to actually eat a hit, at that) triggered an incoming probably-nuke warning. While hawaii was re-experiencing the cold war, 45 was golfing.

There's the morbid side where folks are relieved he wasn't involved and there to do something unfortunate, but it at least says we have goddamn serious procedural problems in the top levels of the gov't at the mo'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2018, 02:03:26 pm »

This was hilarious for us because we actually didn't hear about it until after the fact lol. So everybody was freaking out while we were just on a family road trip.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2018, 02:40:42 pm »

Ah, glad you avoided the scare!
I assume it's a fail-safe, as in "an alarm goes off if someone *doesn't* do a thing on time".  Which sounds safer, right?
Well, false positives destroy the credibility of a warning, so no.  The boy who cried wolf got the sheep eaten.

Otherwise, hope you're enjoying Hawaii :D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 2 [3]