Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Loyalty Value: How to make historical figures playable without breaking the game  (Read 2308 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

Adventurers have been mentioned to go instantly beserk or suicidal the moment they are taken out of adventure mode because players pay such little attention to the adventurers thoughts & needs.

All the more reason to pay attention to the adventurer's thoughts and needs - to play as them and guide their story.

Again, there's some people's (myself included) desire to go on a rampage in DF.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Maybe so, but you have to admit that (post needs system) that isn't the way the game was meant to be played, especially if you're taking control of an existing figure.  You want to rampage, you can always roll up a murderous sociopath and remain in-character.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile

How a player chooses to approach the game is on them, be that for a grand narrative, murder simulation, or anything in between and beyond. I'm not convinced there should ever be any strict enforcement on the matter where there weren't any before, only more (interesting) consequences.

VislarRn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: df_talk_combined_transcript
Rainseeker:   So we're still not at a place yet where we can take over historical figures, right?

Toady:   Yeah, that's correct. We're not at a place where we can do that. I mean, there's nothing stopping it, right? Because when you unretire an adventurer you're just taking control of a historical figure. So there's nothing technical about stopping it. There are just conceptual problems about, what happens when you take over the king of this or the king of that. It's just silly, I guess, 'cause they don't recognize your authority or anything. So it's kind of goofy that you can do that. But, yeah. It's one of those things where - I mean, I'm sure we've talked about this in the past, where it's like there's paying somewhat service to that. There's doing some kind of worldgen parameter where you can set it that it can't be done, so you don't feel tempted to sort of spoil your game by making all the bad things in the world jump off cliffs and then go hit play, or whatever. So there's some small concerns and missing swathes of content, but there aren't huge barriers to doing that.

Rainseeker:   I suppose an easy way out would be to suddenly, if you're the king, have your advisors declare that you're possessed and that you're no longer acting like the king and you are now dethroned, so you could leave and people would recognize you as the former king of such-and-such.

Toady:   I guess it would be one of those things where there's also, even if you choose to take control of a peasant there'd also have to be a thing where it's like, 'And your family doesn't recognize you and they think of you as a stranger now,' or something because you'd be possessed, because you would talk to them like strangers or whatever. Or not strangers, 'cause the people in your starting town, at least, know your name and know who you are and they greet you a little differently already, but they wouldn't recognize you as a family member, because the traditional adventurers don't have family members so I didn't have a reason to put that in. So, it stacks up, and it becomes a non-priority item until we add something, you know? Something that makes it matter, 'cause what is the point of taking over a historical figure, if all of the historical things about it don't matter yet?

I guess the reasons why we can't take over historical figures is simply that it doesn't make sense yet. Game is far too underdeveloped.
Pages: 1 [2]