Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vox Uristi: Export 3D models of fortresses | 0.14 - individual objects  (Read 3723 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vox Uristi: Export 3D models of fortresses | 0.10 - Spatters
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2023, 12:30:45 am »

I believe the only "tricky" dependency for AppImage is FUSE. Most systems have FUSE support out of the box, but it does require a kernel config to be enabled and some user mode tool support, so it's possible that some systems don't have it.
Right, forgot FUSE was a dependency - thanks!

Ok.  I found what appears to be a very bare-bones HOWTO for using appimage on my distro.  The problem is that the only setup mentioned is to load the FUSE kernel module and change the permisions on the appimage file.  I'd expect to need to install a framework and/or utilities for the appimages to work, but the HOWTO doesn't mention any of that.  Also, I've searched the distro's package repository and there's no mention of appimage.
What distro are you using? That might help us give you better advice (although probably not strictly needed in this case, since there is no AppImage for Vox Uristi, yet).

My understanding is that once you have FUSE (or libFUSE) installed, AppImages should just work. It's entirely possible that for you, that only involves loading a kernel module. For me on Ubuntu, I've typically never needed to set up anything. Searching for "appimage" in your package repository probably won't turn up anything because there is no separate AppImage runtime/framework needed (unlike flatpak, snap, etc.) other than FUSE.

Also, isn't appimage the MacOS packaging system?
Appimage is both Linux and MacOS.  Way back in the day, MacOS started on a BSD kernel.
No, the AppImage format is Linux-specific, at least as far as I'm aware and have been able to find.
On macOS, you might be thinking of:
  • Application (.app) bundles, which sound similar but are actually just folders containing an executable and associated resources/libraries. macOS represents them as files but they are actually folders. In contrast, AppImages are files that can be executed themselves.
  • Disk Images (.dmg), which are sometimes used to distribute applications on macOS. These are similar to ISO files.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 12:35:21 am by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2023, 05:17:49 am »

You can work around the lack of FUSE: extract the appimage content running it with the --appimage-extract option, then you get a portable directory containing a AppRun executable you can run.

plule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vox Uristi
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2023, 04:37:34 am »

Well well, good news I found out I had an ubuntu 22.04 laying around that I forgot about, and it looks like it works out of the box. At the moment, it's just a matter of:

wget https://github.com/plule/vox-uristi/releases/download/v0.10.2/vox-uristi-v0.10.2-experimental
chmod +x vox-uristi-v0.10.2-experimental
./vox-uristi-v0.10.2-experimental

For DF itself and MagicaVoxel, they run fine in wine, so it's actually possible to fully use it on Linux already.

I'll make a proper version, fixing the auto-update and packaging it in a .tar to set the executable bit instead of having to run chmod. This way, users will just have to extract and double-click in the best case scenario. Regarding the whole appimage/snap/flatpak packaging, it's quite out of my knowledge. Since it's a single file that just works, so I'll just ship it as-is and call it a day. I can't realistically test it on an array of Linux distrib, so users encountering issues will likely have to build from source.

In other news, I'm adding some renders that I'm super happy to have created. These are from Northbridge, a fortress by the youtuber Kruggsmash. Krugg is the very reason I play Dwarf Fortress :) I'm putting them as spoiler, watch the videos first!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

plule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vox Uristi
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2023, 06:55:28 am »

Since it looks like the steam DF version is close to be released for linux, time for a new update that formally add linux support. v0.11 also fixes some issues with grassy ramps, and make the random blocks reproducible between exports, this can be used to create timelapses without the random part moving all around at each frame.

As far as packaging goes, I kept thing simple with a .tar containing the executable to ensure that it have the executable bit already set.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vox Uristi: Export 3D models of fortresses | 0.11 - Linux support
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2023, 11:11:44 pm »

Those renders look beautiful! Have you sent them to Krugg?

plule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vox Uristi
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2023, 08:18:45 am »

Those renders look beautiful! Have you sent them to Krugg?

Yep! They were featured in the last Northbridge video

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2023, 11:34:44 am »

Oh that's awesome! I haven't seen that one yet. I'll check it out.

plule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vox Uristi
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2023, 05:52:06 am »

One more minor version, v0.12 improves the ramps (they were weirdly sloppy on all side, not like in game), and makes altars emit light. This is useful for indoor rendering, and for seeing the windows from the outside too. Altars have some candles in their icons, so I thought they were a good candidate for this purpose.

And renders of my own fortress, Ikûl Tikis, a large Ziggurat dedicated to a god of death and deformity. It was built by vampires cursed by this god, which is quite cool.

plule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vox Uristi

It's been a while, but I just made a new release just today with v0.14. The last change is that instead of exporting one flat "bunch of voxels", buildings are now individual objects in the .vox. This means that it's now possible to do adjustment such as rotating/moving/hiding buildings after the export, directly in magicavoxel.

Pages: 1 [2]