Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 86

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist v42.1.5 | DF 50.12  (Read 397971 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist v42.0.1 | DF 50.08
« Reply #1215 on: May 12, 2023, 05:14:11 am »

I still use Therapist to have a broad view of my dwarves, and to mass-name people (especially after a migration wave). It's a very good tool, and even if steam version fixed a lot of what Therapist brought, it's still much more simple with Therapist for me.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 12, 2023, 10:46:01 am »

I added an appimage in the release page. Not built in the usual environment, but I hope it works as well.

By the way, how do you use Dwarf Therapist on a steam deck? Do you use it as desktop computer, or did you manage to make DT usable on it as portable game console? DT is not at its best on small screens, and I don't how easy it is to switch between apps on the steam deck.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 13, 2023, 09:50:58 pm »

Some general suggestions...take them for what they're worth from a long term user, but I am still on 47.05
I don't really know what your plans are but since you're doing a reboot I figure might as well throw them out there as food for thought.

The skill sorting would be better along the lines of workshops that go together and guild sorting (so like the sub-guilds of the broader guilds).
I've got my own custom grid views which work for me, just please don't get rid of the ability to customize them if the thought had crossed your mind.

The attribute weighting, and I know it is customizable as well but I haven't had any success with it. It's a bit...weak. I mean if someone has skill then obviously they are a stronger candidate, it really is a no brainer at that point. When I need evaluations is when I've got 30 equally useless twat migrants and I want to know who has better stats to grow into the job. Granted this is pretty minor but it's just a feature I would like to make more use of.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 14, 2023, 04:24:01 am »

The skill sorting would be better along the lines of workshops that go together and guild sorting (so like the sub-guilds of the broader guilds).
I've got my own custom grid views which work for me, just please don't get rid of the ability to customize them if the thought had crossed your mind.
I think labors used to be sorted like that, but it was changed at some point before my time. Anyway labors column will become less relevant (except if you disable work details).

I want to keep as much customization as possible. Although there is an issue with work details. Since they are dependent on the current game, my plan is to dynamically add as many columns as work details. But this prevents any kind of manual sorting/grouping. So this will likely results in one group of columns all the same color and in the same order as in game. Except if some kind of heuristic can be found to sort/group them.

I mean if someone has skill then obviously they are a stronger candidate, it really is a no brainer at that point.
Actually it depends on if you want someone good right now (then consider skill first) or someone you can train to become the perfect laborer (then you should consider attributes and personality and forget about skill, it is easy to train).

viclew1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 15, 2023, 10:11:22 pm »

Thanks for that but I just realized you posted the memory layouts so next time maybe I can add those myself.

By the way, how do you use Dwarf Therapist on a steam deck? Do you use it as desktop computer, or did you manage to make DT usable on it as portable game console? DT is not at its best on small screens, and I don't how easy it is to switch between apps on the steam deck.

As for using it in Steam Deck Gaming Mode I just need to switch between apps like i would with a game. With the windows version the window is pretty clunky so having the Linux version that works better with the desktop UI is nice. In gaming mode my biggest problem in any desktop app is that the menus are taller than the program which was forced to be full screen.
I'm pretty new on playing DF so I don't know how to use DT anyway. I bought premium in dec and am still on the same 15 year fortress. I played without DFhack until a couple months ago and haven't really used DT that much.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 10, 2023, 06:06:23 pm »

I am playing DF 47.05 and trying to use DT 41.2.5. DT will not connect, and on first loading displays two errors in the bottom right. "Network Error TLS initialization failed" and "Failed to check latest version   Invalid json data: illegal value". What is my next move from here?

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 11, 2023, 07:32:17 am »

Which OS? Windows? Make sure DF is not running as admin.

You can check for errors in the logs (File → Open log directory).

You can ignore the network errors. If they bother you, you may disable updates in Options → General → Updates (or you may install/update OpenSSL).

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 12, 2023, 03:45:48 pm »

Windows 10. DF is not running as admin.

File -- Open log directory shows me the two network errors as before, then "("Unidentified Game Version", "I'm sorry but I don't know how to talk to this version of Dwarf Fortress!", "Checksum: 0x6011e015", "Supported Versions:\nv0.47.05 (graphics) win64 (0x6011fb69)...[long list of versions omitted]...(MainWindow::lost_df_connection)"

Not sure what's up with that "lost df connection at the end," nothing connects or even flickers when I hit connect.

I'm definitely running 47.05 with no tilesetsl that "graphics" mention is confusing me, but probably shouldn't.

I included the network errors as my only lead, I wouldn't mind them if Therapist connected/read.

I've run previous versions of DF and DT together on this machine, but 47.05 and 41.2.5 are new installs for me, I was away for a while.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 12, 2023, 04:58:01 pm »

Checksum: 0x6011e015

This is the legacy version, it is not supported, you need the SDL (a.k.a. graphics) version.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 14, 2023, 06:38:14 pm »

This is the legacy version, it is not supported, you need the SDL (a.k.a. graphics) version.

Thank you for your help and patience, that was exactly the problem.

Mixed news for me since I don't want graphics, but I want a large fort without Therapist even less so I guess I'll suck it up and start a new one.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 15, 2023, 03:15:48 am »

I don't know all that Clément knows about what DF v50.?? versions (or indeed prior) work or do not work with DT, but surely (prior to this, with your 47.05), Legacy and SDL versions were effectively the same w.r.t. (vanilla) graphics of the Codepage type, though it does muddle the back-end/internals around to require a technical change to DT connectivity..

Check http://bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html and get the appropriate SDL download (64-bit, if you wish, if you were running that assemblage already) for 47.05. I don't think the Small version changes anything of consequence to you, if you prefer that for whatever reason. Unpack it parallel to your Legacy version (should be easy enough to do, even if you used something like LNP to manage this deployment last time) and copy across the Savegame folder from the "legacy" version into the new one and then... I imagine ...you surely won't need to either start a new fort or lose out on DT functionality. Unless I'm totally wrong.

Maybe you also need pre-Steam version of DT (not something I've yet had cause to test), though I'd have to read back through the thread updates to see if there were various clean-breaks made for the sake of Clém's surviving sanity. Perhaps I missed/misread something about this that meant it had been breaked cleaner/harder..?

And I'm so behind the curve that I couldn't say if v50.xx unPremium is "new Legacy" ('deSDLed'), or not, but I've not been given that impression (and it's irrelevent to the 47.xx era anyway), as "non-graphics"/”ASCII" DF was supposed to be just "Steam-graphics DF" without the fancier Premium resources, SFAIK. Not that it matters here.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 15, 2023, 03:41:33 am »

I don't know all that Clément knows about what DF v50.?? versions (or indeed prior) work or do not work with DT, but surely (prior to this, with your 47.05), Legacy and SDL versions were effectively the same w.r.t. (vanilla) graphics of the Codepage type, though it does muddle the back-end/internals around to require a technical change to DT connectivity..
I'm not sure the difference matters for DT, but it does for DFHack. And I need it for generating memory layouts. Maybe DT could work with a manually created memory layout, but I never made the effort to try.

Maybe you also need pre-Steam version of DT (not something I've yet had cause to test), though I'd have to read back through the thread updates to see if there were various clean-breaks made for the sake of Clém's surviving sanity. Perhaps I missed/misread something about this that meant it had been breaked cleaner/harder..?
Goldbeard is using the correct version: 41.2.5 as noted in the first post.

And I'm so behind the curve that I couldn't say if v50.xx unPremium is "new Legacy" ('deSDLed'), or not, but I've not been given that impression (and it's irrelevent to the 47.xx era anyway), as "non-graphics"/”ASCII" DF was supposed to be just "Steam-graphics DF" without the fancier Premium resources, SFAIK. Not that it matters here.
All current versions use SDL and are supported by DFHack. Steam version has steam workshop support, and I don't know if there is any real difference between classic and itch.io binary executables.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 15, 2023, 06:52:54 am »

I'm not sure the difference matters for DT, but it does for DFHack. And I need it for generating memory layouts. Maybe DT could work with a manually created memory layout, but I never made the effort to try.
Ah, yes, that joins some dots up that I had clearly not joined up before.

And now you're integrating more with(/relying more upon) DFHack, if I correctly recall more recent discussions. But I'm not au fait with DFHack's developmental status, and had no idea it was not sufficiently binary-agnostic for use with pre-Steam Legacy versions already.

Goldbeard is using the correct version: 41.2.5 as noted in the first post.
I wasn't sure where we were with that (I know I have grabbed the best version for me, but I rarely dive into Github histories/etc), so I was covering bases. Definitely sounds like I was over-cautious there. Whatever other errors of assumption I made along the way. ;) And you're the one who should know how(/if) to get it working, anyway, when I was a bit precipitous in poking my nose in.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 15, 2023, 11:16:05 am »

Mixed news for me since I don't want graphics, but I want a large fort without Therapist even less so I guess I'll suck it up and start a new one.

The SDL version does not require graphics - it just uses a newer rendering backend (SDL) than the "legacy" version, so it supports more advanced/performant graphics. In ASCII mode, the two versions would look identical, although the SDL version may perform slightly better.

Saves are also 100% compatible between the legacy and SDL versions (of the same DF version), since the core DF code is the same, so you wouldn't have to start a new fort.

I'm not really sure where the "graphics" name came from, honestly - as far as I can tell, neither the DF website nor DFHack have ever called it that (Bay12 calls it "SDL Windows", DFHack calls it "v0.47.05 SDL win64"). I'm guessing it's a name that carried over from previous DT forks.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:20:15 am by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 16, 2023, 06:02:17 pm »

Saves are also 100% compatible between the legacy and SDL versions (of the same DF version), since the core DF code is the same, so you wouldn't have to start a new fort.

That makes me happy, thanks for posting. I had an idea from somewhere you needed to be careful with save compatibility, but probably I was mixing up old info about trying saves from different major updates.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 86