Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 87

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist v42.1.5 | DF 50.12  (Read 399850 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Really Maintained Branch) v.39.3 | DF 44.07
« Reply #345 on: April 01, 2018, 02:50:16 pm »

Experimental memory layouts for 0.44.09 (untested):

how do I use that with the linux AppImage?

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 01, 2018, 06:28:19 pm »

I think ~/.local/share/dwarftherapist/memory_layouts/linux should work. In the current version, it has a lower priority than the memory layouts inside the appimage (I will change that with the next major version), but it should work for adding a new memory layout.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 02, 2018, 03:19:44 pm »

Thanks for keeping DT updated. Just wanted to add that writing anything into app bundle on MacOS is a terrible idea, it is against all guidelines, and it's very likely to cause problems.

I've being using macOS as my main os for 12 years and I never encountered any app that did that. MacOS is kind of a mess right now because there are several places where an app can store its settings, but app bundle is not one of them. No one would expect something like that.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 02, 2018, 03:36:38 pm »

It hasn't caused any problems with DT whatsoever, besides possibly making it harder to find the memory layouts folder. That said, using more typical paths would be good.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 02, 2018, 05:26:11 pm »

I think ~/.local/share/dwarftherapist/memory_layouts/linux should work. In the current version, it has a lower priority than the memory layouts inside the appimage (I will change that with the next major version), but it should work for adding a new memory layout.

DT doesn't seem to be finding it...
the appimage hasn't created that directory, so I did it myself, which ofc could lead to human input error, esp with linux caring about capitalization.
Having the appimage create a folder and put the layouts in there on first run might be a good hint for users trying to update. also a "Go to MemLayouts Folder" button/menu item somewhere. 

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 02, 2018, 05:37:32 pm »

I might be missing part of the convo, but I think you can get layouts to work on Linux like this: In the same directory as the DwarfTherapist, place a /share/memory_layouts/linux/v0.44.09_linux64.ini

Edit: Sorry, I'm not sure about AppImage, I was just noting what I've seen in the LinuxLNP. You might try placing that share folder next to the executable within the AppImage. That's how it works on Mac which I think uses sort-of-similar app bundles.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:51:45 pm by jecowa »

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 02, 2018, 06:43:02 pm »

DT doesn't seem to be finding it...
the appimage hasn't created that directory, so I did it myself, which ofc could lead to human input error, esp with linux caring about capitalization.
Works for me. Here is my log, so you can check the exact path:
Code: [Select]
INFO core Detected Dwarf Fortress version "v0.44.09 linux64" using MemoryLayout from "/home/clement/.local/share/dwarftherapist/memory_layouts/linux/v0.44.09_linux64.ini" [src/dfinstance.cpp:1091] (set_memory_layout)
Having the appimage create a folder and put the layouts in there on first run might be a good hint for users trying to update. also a "Go to MemLayouts Folder" button/menu item somewhere.
Good idea, and it should copy the readmes too (here and here, and now I see the second one has out-dated links).

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 02, 2018, 06:55:00 pm »

yeah that's working now. thanks.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 03, 2018, 02:27:52 am »

It hasn't caused any problems with DT whatsoever
That's because DT uses elevated privileges to begin with. /Applications is read-only for any normal app. Besides, it is a common practice to run an app from a read-only medium like a DMG container.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2018, 04:04:01 am »

Speaking of elevated privileges, is there any way to make it more fine grained? Something like linux's setcap? This root access to the filesystem is causing issues with the settings file.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 03, 2018, 08:47:51 am »

I'm confused... DT runs as root, so it can write to /Applications (although I've never installed DT there), but it can't write to its own config file, created as root, even when it's always running as root?

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 03, 2018, 11:09:40 am »

I'm confused... DT runs as root, so it can write to /Applications (although I've never installed DT there), but it can't write to its own config file, created as root, even when it's always running as root?
DT doesn't run at all for me. win7 64bit. giving the same error as starbound64bit - 32bit versions run fine.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 03, 2018, 12:16:51 pm »

We're not talking about Windows! Also, what exactly is the error? Are you on 32-bit Windows?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Really Maintained Branch) v.39.2 | DF 44.05
« Reply #358 on: April 04, 2018, 04:36:20 am »

but i am using win7 64bit on hardware capable of 64bit and 64bit versions should run - but they don't.
Same error as PFunk?
yes, same error.
the 32 bit version works.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 04, 2018, 05:50:51 am »

Did you try the proposed solution: (re)installing Visual C++ runtime or "Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows"? If this does not work the Dependency Walker utility will give you more details (because Windows cannot give a proper error message with the name of the dll that failed to load :().
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 87