Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 86

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist v42.1.5 | DF 50.12  (Read 393453 times)

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Really Maintained Branch) v.39.0 | DF 44.02
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 10:46:04 pm »

The readme says "Qt5 (with Widgets and QML modules)".

With no mention of "qtdeclarative5-dev" whatsoever, which is necessary, but not pulled in by the other packages as a dep nor as a recommend.

You need to have gcc 5 or newer to compile DT.

Ah, bugger.  Unfortunately, it isn't in backports.  Guess I'll take a stab at it from Gentoo, assuming I can map out the differences in DEB->EBUILD names.

P.S.  If any of this comes across as harsh, please know that it isn't intended as such.  I just have no idea how to not sound like that.  :(
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 12:18:31 am »

The readme says "Qt5 (with Widgets and QML modules)".

With no mention of "qtdeclarative5-dev" whatsoever, which is necessary, but not pulled in by the other packages as a dep nor as a recommend.

It took me a little while (certainly not 2 days!) to figure this out recently.  Fortunately my distro subtitled "qt5-declarative" with "Classes for QML and JavaScript languages" so searching yielded good results quickly.  That said it is probably worth mentioning since that's two of us now.  :)

You need to have gcc 5 or newer to compile DT.

Ah, bugger.  Unfortunately, it isn't in backports.  Guess I'll take a stab at it from Gentoo, assuming I can map out the differences in DEB->EBUILD names.

P.S.  If any of this comes across as harsh, please know that it isn't intended as such.  I just have no idea how to not sound like that.  :(

A quick search revealed that gcc 5 used to be in testing for jessie but has been moved back to unstable a while ago.  No experience with Debian but could pulling gcc 6.1 (i think) from Debian Stretch be another possibility (or even bite the bullet and migrate to stretch)?

As for build instructions I have been using those posted by Hello71 in the previous thread.  I reproduce them here in case they might help someone in the meantime:

Code: [Select]
git clone https://github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist.git
mkdir Dwarf-Therapist-build
cd Dwarf-Therapist-build
cmake ../Dwarf-Therapist
ln -s ../Dwarf-Therapist/share .
make -j$(nproc)
make install

The "make install" is optional since you can run the 'shared library' directly from a terminal. 

You may well need an additional step, depending on your distribution, to allow DT to interact with DF:

sudo setcap cap_sys_ptrace=ep /path/to/DwarfTherapist
p.s. Thankyou Clément for herding us cats.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:16:30 am by feelotraveller »

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 02:00:12 am »

It took me a little while (certainly not 2 days!) to figure this out recently.  Fortunately my distro subtitled "qt5-declarative" with "Classes for QML and JavaScript languages" so searching yielded good results quickly.  That said it is probably worth mentioning since that's two of us now.  :)

I feel the need to point out that it was two days since beginning to work on it, not two full days of effort.

For me, the summary string for the package is completely different, and the full descriptions are stripped.  I only found the package name by the grace of the old thread.

A quick search revealed that gcc 5 used to be in testing for jessie but has been moved back to unstable a while ago.  No experience with Debian but could pulling gcc 6.1 (i think) from Debian Stretch be another possibility (or even bite the bullet and migrate to stretch)?

Unfortunately, no.  I'm actually using Devuan for reasons, so migrating to pure Debian is a no-go.  For debian itself, both are viable and easy options.

As for build instructions I have been using those posted by Hello71 in the previous thread.  I reproduce them here in case they might help someone in the meantime:

git clone https://github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist.git
mkdir Dwarf-Therapist-build
cd Dwarf-Therapist-build
cmake ../Dwarf-Therapist
ln -s ../Dwarf-Therapist/share .
make -j$(nproc)
makeinstall

The makeinstall is optional since you can run the 'shared library' directly from a terminal. 

You may well need an additional step, depending on your distribution, to allow DT to interact with DF:

sudo setcap cap_sys_ptrace=ep /path/to/DwarfTherapist
p.s. Thankyou Clément for herding us cats.

I second that.  Thank you for your work and patience, Clément!  Miauuu  * Sits on Clément's keyboard

P.S.  I should point out that the command is "make install", not "makeinstall", unless you have "makeinstall" aliased.
Grand Master Depressive
I am a delicate flower!
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 02:25:59 am »

P.S.  I should point out that the command is "make install", not "makeinstall", unless you have "makeinstall" aliased.

Fixed.  Thank you.

Is 'ascii' not a possibility?  (Which is my OT way of saying, tell me more about this Devuan thing.  ;))

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 04:54:37 am »

Package names change across distros. So I am being generic and I use the name from Qt: Qt QML Module (not to be confused with with QML Modules ???). Qt Declarative was the old Qt4 name.

In the same manner, I say "C++ compiler with C++14 support", that means gcc 5 or newer if you use gcc, but that could be another compiler. By the way, I did not think about it yesterday, but clang 3.5 is in Debian repo, it should support C++14 since 3.4 (I don't know if that is necessary for you: with travis, I had to install the libc++-dev package and export CXXFLAGS="-stdlib=libc++ $CXXFLAGS" for compiling with clang++).

A BUILDING.rst should contains more detailed instructions but that requires work. I'll add the most used distributions I know (debian, ubuntu, fedora), other systems will have to come from other contributors. You chose to use an exotic distribution, expect to have to solve problems on you own (and if you succeed, consider explaining what you did, that could help others).

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2017, 09:34:38 am »

Try this AppImage, built with ubuntu trusty (14.04) and gcc 6. Download the file, add the execute permission and run it.

setcap does not seem to work well with AppImage, so you will have to run "sudo sysctl kernel.yama.ptrace_scope=0" before starting DT (or make it permanent in sysctl.conf).

salajander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 01:29:52 pm »

I've compiled and uploaded a build of 39.0.0 for macOS to DFFD: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13265

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 03:54:58 pm »

Fixed.  Thank you.

Is 'ascii' not a possibility?  (Which is my OT way of saying, tell me more about this Devuan thing.  ;))

No clue.  I'm still relatively new to Devuan's release system beyond Jessie.

Package names change across distros. So I am being generic and I use the name from Qt: Qt QML Module (not to be confused with with QML Modules ???). Qt Declarative was the old Qt4 name.

*Screams incoherently*

In the same manner, I say "C++ compiler with C++14 support", that means gcc 5 or newer if you use gcc, but that could be another compiler. By the way, I did not think about it yesterday, but clang 3.5 is in Debian repo, it should support C++14 since 3.4 (I don't know if that is necessary for you: with travis, I had to install the libc++-dev package and export CXXFLAGS="-stdlib=libc++ $CXXFLAGS" for compiling with clang++).

I came back today wondering about clang! (I'm completely unfamiliar with it)  I'll give that a stab later, thanks for the heads-up.

You chose to use an exotic distribution [...]

Debian's exotic now?  The difference between Debian and Devuan is that Devuan has systemd ripped out.  Gentoo and Arch are more exotic(and if we're using the logic of "changes == exotic", Ubuntu is even more so, using a Debian base and doing extreme modifications to it).  I'd expect issues in Gentoo, not so much in Debian(and, by extension, Devuan).
You know what, I'm not getting into the init war, and especially not here(this and the following are why I don't mention Devuan unless it is unavoidable).  For all practical purposes beyond init system configuration, Devuan Jessie == Debian Jessie.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:56:44 pm by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
I am a delicate flower!

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2017, 05:08:51 am »

Experimental memory layouts for 0.44.02 on linux are available: 32 bits, 64 bits.

Edit: also osx 32 bits (untested).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:38:06 am by Clément »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2017, 07:50:46 am »

Just for clarity - the linux32 ini should be saved as "v0.44.02_i386.ini" ?

I'll try to find some time to build/test in next day.  Still catching up from a week and half away...  :)

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2017, 10:23:27 am »

The file name can be anything as long as it has a .ini extension.

LexJackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »

I've compiled and uploaded a build of 39.0.0 for macOS to DFFD: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13265
Thank you so much. I can't play DF without therapist.

rothen

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 02:44:07 pm »

Experimental memory layouts for 0.44.02 on linux are available: 32 bits, 64 bits.
Praise Armok! Thank you so much; I've been avoiding playing 44.02 until DT is out for it. I can live without DFHack, but without Therapist the game is unplayable.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 03:48:10 pm »

Got caught up with some other stuff, and haven't got past the embark screen yet but...

Something is going on with the cell size/padding that I don't like.  In a way I'm hoping it's a bug or something strange just happening at my end.  But I suspect not.  The most obvious symptom is that the columns are now much fatter.  I had my custom roles gridview tuned so that it just fitted on my screen (23" at 1920x1080) and had quite a ways to go with reducing the cell size (if my eyes were able to still read ;)) but now it goes way over.  In two parts:

At a quick guesstimate the columns are 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 as wide as they used to be with moderate settings however this is with Cell Size 4px and Cell Padding 1px - as small as it can be gotten.  (For some reason Cell Padding 0px increases size slightly.)  It seems like increasing cell size might be affecting the entire screen/gridview rather than each cell?  Anyway it increases trivially whereas it used to make a significant size difference.

I also experience a glitch if I reduce the cell size after scrolling the screen to the right.  It is graphical only and disappears after changing gridviews or scrolling completely left.  It redraws even smaller if reduced sizes are again entered, and enlarges somewhat if they are increased but still stays markedly squashed.

The aim used to be to keep the full labours gridview on one screen at default cell size for a moderate size screen (these days that's probably a big laptop screen).  Basically to be able to see all the columns in a gridview without scrolling. The columns should be as skinny as reasonably possible (or at least modifiable through cell size to achieve that aim given screen size and eyesight).  Similarly the rows (that aren't affected nearly as badly right now) are best kept as small as possible for later game ability to see more dwarfs at one glance. 

Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted.  If it was a conscious decision let's (all) discuss it.

Quick edit: I forgot to mention that I noticed multiple repeats of
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 3
QPainter::setCompositionMode: Painter not active
QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted
in the terminal.  Not sure if it's related.  Oh and the report is from a linux 64 build from a few hours ago, in case it matters.

Not so quick edit: sorry for third bite of the cherry but the spacers between columns are problematic too.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:06:52 pm by feelotraveller »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 08:49:18 pm »

I was wondering if someone could help me. I would appreciate a 32-bit OSX layout for use with DF v0.44.02. Or do you think that's possible to generate?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 86