Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Change legendary +5 to “Uncanny”  (Read 2736 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Change legendary +5 to “Uncanny”
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 12:58:14 am »

Really, miners should not be legendary. Nobody makes legends about how fast someone mines rock.
Except for John Henry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_(folklore)

But I'll echo "Uncanny" as meaning "beyond Grandmaster, but through other means than experience". Perhaps it could be functionally different from Legendary as well: Let's say you have two Stone Crafters--one worked his way up the ranks to become a Legendary+5, the other got a strange mood as a child and became Uncanny. The Legendary has a high chance of creating an ☼item☼, and a low chance of creating an -item- . . . that is, both the upper AND lower ends of his quality curve have been adjusted to reflect his skill. The Uncanny, in contrast, has a high chance of creating an ☼item☼, and a high chance of creating an -item- : thanks to her mood, the upper limit of her quality curve has been raised to the maximum, but the only way she can raise the lower end is by actively practicing the art of stonecrafting.

I like that idea.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 10:16:54 am »

Dwarves are underground critters at heart, of course they'd take great note of someone who can effortlessly split rocks and carve perfect tunnels with incredible speed!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 10:19:16 am »

Then who is it taking note of the legendary gelders?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 06:20:22 pm »

Then who is it taking note of the legendary gelders?
The smart ones.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 06:45:48 am »

I can't think un anything else but "The Uncanny Dwarf-Men"
With the 90' cartoon song playing on my head... For some reason all the mutants are called Mac Urist.
Nanananana nana
Narrator Voice "Mac Urist"

Nanananana nana

Nanananana nana

And so on...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 02:14:47 pm »

In a genre (fantasy) in which "adventurer" is a valid job, where enough people are interested in buying armor and weapons and plundering all the dungeons and tombs that supporting adventuring is the main driving factor of the world's economy, an animal suited to ambushing adventurers doesn't seem all that gamey.

It's not the treasure box monster that's gamey, it's the fact that treasure boxes are common enough to be used as camouflage that's gamey.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »

I think you posted on the wrong thread.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 08:53:09 pm »

why not just make legendary+5 "godly"

I don't like the sound of uncanny
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 04:41:45 am »

why not just make legendary+5 "godly"

I don't like the sound of uncanny
Because if you end up in a world where the Gods are all pacifist butterflies and only tough atheist dorfs learn to fight, it'd be a bit silly.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 09:45:09 am »

Really, miners should not be legendary. Nobody makes legends about how fast someone mines rock.

I agree that legendary is better than uncanny though. Uncanny does mean seeming supernatural, but legendary means story-worthy.

Aye, we be dwarves mate! Can ye think of any act more "dwarf" than good ol' mining? (Must be some tree fondling elf who made that post, I say)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 10:37:05 am »

What about changing legendary to "Uncanny" and making legendary+5 just legendary?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".
Pages: 1 [2]