Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caverns Of Peace, Friendship, & Fun [44.02 and 43.05]  (Read 3010 times)

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caverns Of Peace, Friendship, & Fun [44.02 and 43.05]
« on: November 28, 2017, 01:41:22 am »

Caverns Of Peace, Friendship, & Fun is a mod that intends to increase the variety in the caverns (while sticking to the tone of Dwarf Fortress) for two reasons. One, to add more peaceful (and often useful) creatures, so the caverns don't experience a constant influx of bloodthirsty monsters. And second, flavor for its own sake! The new fauna work towards the first goal. They are all non-aggressive, and many can be domesticated for their products. The new flora work towards the second goal by further visually distinguishing the different cavern layers. The first layer is the most drab; the second layer is more bizarre and multicolored; and the third layer is more dark and evil. This is a WIP, and feedback is very welcome. It is compatible with 43.05 and 44.02 (it makes no use of new 44.02 features).

Fauna

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flora

Installation:

Also, I have no idea why this suddenly has over 500 downloads despite having far fewer views. Must be some sort of glitch.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:20:15 am by fluffyshambler »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: Caverns Of Peace, Friendship, & Fun [44.02 and 43.05]
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:01:53 pm »

Looks like a cool mod, and good work on creating some original cave animals that nail the feeling of the normal caverns while not being deranged mutants who seek only to eat dwarven bone marrow. I would also like to say that for a modular mod you should generally not change any existing game files. Maybe make an almost copy of a purring maggot in a separate file (under a different creature identifier) and then apply giant variation? Or just make it from scratch? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what (mostly) passive creatures you come up with next. I would also like to ask, are all the current plants just new ground cover? I would love to see some new underground crops that have special uses or can be refined into special items. Maybe you could make some kind of plant that can be harvested for thorns that can be used as cheap swords or spears so you can cheaply arm your fortress? I can probably help with ideas for plants and animals, but my modding skills are pretty limited.

After thinking a little on how you could even go about that thorn idea, if you choose to do anything of the sort, I think you can take the product from the crop and change it into a weapon through a workshop reaction. You could make that a reaction in the farmers workshop or some new workshop. Likewise, you could use this method to create a lot more plants with special reactions like that to make some cool stuff.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:26:57 pm by MottledPetrel »

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 06:56:48 pm »

Looks like a cool mod, and good work on creating some original cave animals that nail the feeling of the normal caverns while not being deranged mutants who seek only to eat dwarven bone marrow. I would also like to say that for a modular mod you should generally not change any existing game files. Maybe make an almost copy of a purring maggot in a separate file (under a different creature identifier) and then apply giant variation? Or just make it from scratch? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what (mostly) passive creatures you come up with next. I would also like to ask, are all the current plants just new ground cover? I would love to see some new underground crops that have special uses or can be refined into special items. Maybe you could make some kind of plant that can be harvested for thorns that can be used as cheap swords or spears so you can cheaply arm your fortress? I can probably help with ideas for plants and animals, but my modding skills are pretty limited.

After thinking a little on how you could even go about that thorn idea, if you choose to do anything of the sort, I think you can take the product from the crop and change it into a weapon through a workshop reaction. You could make that a reaction in the farmers workshop or some new workshop. Likewise, you could use this method to create a lot more plants with special reactions like that to make some cool stuff.

Thanks for the feedback. That's a good idea making the giant creatures without using the creature variations, probably not very difficult. Yes, for now all the plants are just colorful grasses, but I would like to make some plants with usable growths. Your suggestion is cool, but I'd prefer not to make any custom reactions, just doesn't fit the vibe imo. But that makes me think of something like a plant or tree that drops obsidian boulders that can be turned into short swords, if that turns out to be possible.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:07:46 pm »

You could probably create a plant that could give obsidian (or at least a similar alternative material) not entirely sure how you would go about doing that without custom reactions though. I believe you can do a thing where you brew the plant and have it give off another product along with the seeds that collect in the still. You could make it so that extra product is an obsidian boulder and say that when the fruit is brewed the hard outer obsidian shell congeals in the still to form a solid obsidian boulder. You could probably use this kind of reaction for plants to give off other items or materials (including the thorns if you care to have them). An obsidian plant definitely sounds like a cool addition to the bottom layer of caves.

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:12:19 pm »

Would like to apologize to anybody who downloaded because I copied the wrong files into the original zip, making skyscales unable to bite and shufflers unable to lay eggs :/. Fixed now though, as well as made it unnecessary to replace the next_underground and subterranean files as per Mottled's suggestion, plus a few other minor improvements.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:18:29 pm by fluffyshambler »

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 11:17:49 pm »

Another small update - added 2 new creatures, made some minor improvements to others, and fixed some minor bugs (shathuleen having the wool color "aquararine" for example...)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 06:30:53 pm »

Umm, I've found that the plant_grasses file has to be replaced with this mod's version of it. Is there a reason why you did this instead of creating a new grasses file?

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:40:31 pm »

Umm, I've found that the plant_grasses file has to be replaced with this mod's version of it. Is there a reason why you did this instead of creating a new grasses file?

Yes, because the vanilla cave grasses are in that file and they've been modified.

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 08:45:29 pm »

Another update, most notably giving shufflers the ability to be "sheared" for their shells and adding the first tree (and likely last since there are now underground trees in all the non-brown/green colors).

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 06:35:10 am »

Is there a way to collect the growths that grow on and fall off of underground trees like fruit picking on the surface? If so, that could make a pretty unique addition to this mod if you were to start doing that.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 12:27:47 pm »

Hey, boss. There's one small thing I'd like to point out.

Toady's naming convention for plant IDs doesn't actually use underscores. Having [PLANT:CAVE MOSS] renamed as [PLANT:CAVE_MOSS] is small, but it'd be enough to break compatibility if anyone, say, made a critter that could only graze on caveshrooms (like I did this afternoon).

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 04:36:19 pm »

Is there a way to collect the growths that grow on and fall off of underground trees like fruit picking on the surface? If so, that could make a pretty unique addition to this mod if you were to start doing that.

I tried to make it possible, but unfortunately wasn't able to. For now they do exist as gems, but dwarves won't collect them. An adventurer could though.

Hey, boss. There's one small thing I'd like to point out.

Toady's naming convention for plant IDs doesn't actually use underscores. Having [PLANT:CAVE MOSS] renamed as [PLANT:CAVE_MOSS] is small, but it'd be enough to break compatibility if anyone, say, made a critter that could only graze on caveshrooms (like I did this afternoon).

Ah, I'll change it then.