Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Earth Legacy Game - Adventure Mode - Populate the Earth!  (Read 2602 times)

DakkaDakka

• Bay Watcher
  • My dorfs are the shootiest!
    • View Profile
Earth Legacy Game - Adventure Mode - Populate the Earth!
« on: November 28, 2017, 02:26:02 pm »

I recently discovered the Earth map made by utunnels here http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10149

I'd love to do an adventure mode journal or let's play where I undergo quests and travel to interesting locations.

As great as procedurally generated hamlets are, they become quite samey after a while.

I'm not aware of any way of importing a site from one game to another, so I thought it would be more interesting if I set up a world, upload the save and have people create a site, retire and re-upload. You could even set a quest for the location; release the caged dorfs, assassinate the legendary axeman.

Please post in this thread any suggestions or commitments you'd like to offer.

I wanted to do a cute village in the wood and ended up with a dystopian dictatorship

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Legacy Game - Adventure Mode - Populate the Earth!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 03:59:09 pm »

You should probably have this thread moved to community games and stories if you want to start a succession game thing. There is a lot more traffic on that subforum as well, so it is more likely to get people to join.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

DakkaDakka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 06:33:36 pm »

Thanks, I was considering it but I knew this subforum knew the most about adventure mode. I'm happy for the thread to be moved.
I wanted to do a cute village in the wood and ended up with a dystopian dictatorship

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:52:13 pm »

I like this idea. Count me in. Are you going to have a limit on how long they can play before giving someone else the save?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:28 pm »

I don't mind doing a little quick fortress in that...but does that means we're playing just dwarves, or are you modding it somehow? Because if you don't, we'll just be populated by dwarves. Which I don't mind, but it's a thing to consider

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 10:52:44 pm »

Does the world still generate the same in 44.02? The params are from 40.13.

DakkaDakka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 08:58:06 am »

Does the world still generate the same in 44.02? The params are from 40.13.

The params work fine for 0.43.05. I haven't looked much at the newer version, waiting for it to stabalize. Unless there's a really good reason I should move onto 0.44. The artifact quests seem nice, but I think the community's quests would be more fun.

I don't mind doing a little quick fortress in that...but does that means we're playing just dwarves, or are you modding it somehow? Because if you don't, we'll just be populated by dwarves. Which I don't mind, but it's a thing to consider

The more races the better. Would you forsee any conflicts or errors if people modded their client, built a human/goblin fort and then uploaded the save? I wouldn't go beyond vanilla races for my first game.

I like this idea. Count me in. Are you going to have a limit on how long they can play before giving someone else the save?

Depending on the scope, about a week or so.

What would be a good set of parameters for a fun adventure mode? Usually I roll to 100 years, have around 25 civs, increase the pop  caps and reduce the number of sites a bit, which has generated some interesting zones.

Also, I take it there is no way to rename civilizations in legends mode?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:04:33 am by DakkaDakka »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 11:09:55 am »

The more races the better. Would you forsee any conflicts or errors if people modded their client, built a human/goblin fort and then uploaded the save? I wouldn't go beyond vanilla races for my first game.

This is the mod I'm personally using, so I don't mind at all. The mods are alterating the raws, they modify the save, not the game itself, so I dont think that would conflict at all. The mod would be included in the save. In this mod, you chose your race according to the civilization you embark with, so if you start a human fort, you'll play as human until you retire and re-embark under another civ
I have a bit of experience playing with humans, so if you're good, I'm totally up for that.

Edit : We'd just have to be careful, at first, not to embark too close to each other, because else, when war burts in, it'll be a free for all
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 11:12:10 am by Cathar »