Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: GODS RACE: F.O.P - Era two, Phase 2  (Read 16679 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
GODS RACE: F.O.P - Era two, Phase 2
« on: November 29, 2017, 02:32:29 pm »

For many millennia an unnamed force of light and an unnamed force of darkness have battled for full control over these planes, each the equal of the other, neither able to out do the other. Thus the challenge, to create and take full control of several sections of space through the creations of proxies. Thus your existence, several formless beings capable of truly free, if unstable, thought.
Your master has created you here, in his land of burning Sands, near to the portals to other Planes
As per the rules of this great game, your master has allowed you access to several basic Sets of Designs, and let you choose one to keep.
And finally, a choice of three champions is offered.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Central thread
Discord
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:18:50 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 97%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: GODS RACE: on the edge of darkness
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 03:15:29 pm »

The Hoard Pack
The Zerrrrrrg!

The Lich
Ideal with the horde.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 03:20:01 pm »

Unholy and Archdevil I would chose.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:29:48 pm »

My vote is for Hoard pack and Archdevil.

We can have a massive army of unsouled swarming the enemy, which are thrown into a beserker state by the Archdevil. It would be a slaughter.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:37:33 pm by Roboson »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 97%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 03:32:28 pm »

What does the Lich's mental bonus do? (We might need that if going horde, the hive has to have a hive mind.)
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 03:37:42 pm »

Ha! Here. Choices in a bit.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:03:38 pm »

I vote Infernal and Lich. The more intelligent our army, the better. For reference, I hope to send out spy units at the start of the game to keep an eye on the enemy.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 05:09:32 pm »

What does the Lich's mental bonus do? (We might need that if going horde, the hive has to have a hive mind.)
The Lich is a smart if squishy mage, he is resistant to mental effects and gives a counter bonus when leading unintelegent troops.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 05:12:39 pm »

The Lich is a smart if squishy mage, he is resistant to mental effects and gives a counter bonus when leading unintelegent troops.
What do you mean by counter bonus?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 05:16:37 pm »

What do you mean by counter bonus?
Lets say Side (A) uses Obvious but deadly traps, and side (B) uses the Unsouled, the unsouled would get a -2 to their combat roll, and depending on how common the traps are, anywhere from a small to a large loss of units. if they were lead by the Lich, they would have that disadvantage negated by an equal bonus.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 08:00:22 pm »

Aww, when I saw "hoard" I was hoping for dragons!

But still, Horde and Lich. That gives us a solid foundation of numbers with their primary weakness, well, Lich can only be in one place at a time, but somewhat annulled. But more importantly it gives us the lich from whom we can learn mental faculties with no biological basis and magic, combined with unsoulled who offer example with which to extend into formless beings and also provide mindlessness which, while not always ideal, can be a massive boon against all sorts of things like intimidation, propaganda, a wall that can easily be passed just by piling the corpses of our own forces into a ramp and still swarming over it because we just have that many of them... Hrmmm, an even cheaper version of soulless based upon the theory that we currently have adult humanoids as a base, and that humanoids tend to become more defined with age, and that they are cheap because they lack definition... If we could then revise our tacticsto recognise unit types to send in the cheapest first...

Oh, right, advantages. Well shadow crystals sound slightly better than fogstone, what with crystals being typically lighter, but fogstone sounds more utilitarian, with it being used as the haft on a spear and thus probably focused more on sturdiness than the shadow crystals which are only tested in imp-sized daggers. Otherwise they are both apparently semiclear mineral items that can be used to build a sharp edge and a handle. They are also the only group which starts with a tactic, which is typically a difficult thing to come up with a good design for. The magic wands of the imps would be very nice, but we do already have an "in" with magic if we choose the lich and imps are a bit too heavily attributed for my tastes. I like the idea of dominating the fire plane, but then what? and the orc additions seem kind of weak. I mean, no doubt orcs are good enough to make up for it, so long as the enemy don't use silver, but we would pretty much need to replace the rest of the set with armour that is tougher than orc hides and weapons that are harder than orc faces, and we don't really get anything out of the base models so that ends up being pure wastage.

I do really like starting with a cheap unit too, cheap tends to be difficult to do comfortably without losing all their defining characteristics, which is too much tragedy for most designers to handle. Meanwhile expensive units are usually pretty easy. Like, you'know, just reanimate a cheap skeleton using the lich as a working example of animate corpses, then cover the skeleton in soulless flesh bound to the skeleton's will and teach it a simple bolt-of-death magic. Then you have nice elite mage units to sneak amongst your ocean of bodies to throw some damage around. Or you can pack a hundred soulless into a single deathball to roll across the battlefield sowing chaos and being largely immune to the area effects that only affect your weak units. Or create a soulless that can consume the substance of its enemies in order to gain the features that it lacks, thus creating an infiltrator unit, just as soon as you can give them acting lessons. Or little rolling clusters of skulls to act as generals leading our armies in the absence of the lich's presence. Or if we can't afford the full lich, then just use its severed skull as a really irritated magic wand. Anyone can come up with imps that sh have magic wands for eyes that ignite everything they look at, or orcs with cybernetic implants, but the cheap imp or cheap orc are just really difficult to design without having stupid imps with no magic or tiny orcs with no strength, neither of which work particularly well...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 08:14:26 pm »

Does anyone want to claim a domain or anything while we debate openings?

I was thinking knowledge/lies/deceit/rumors or something like that.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 08:52:36 pm »

Blood and Death...Anyway, I kinda want unholy and arch devil because demons and not just...ghosts and shades to start off with. But, I'm apparently in the minority...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Unholy- [2] PirateJoe, Doomblade
Bezerk- []
Horde- [3] Roseheart, Roboson, RAM

Lich- [3] Doomblade, RAM, Roseheart
Archdevil- [2] PirateJoe, Roboson
Horror- []

Someone check my work, please.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 09:11:49 pm »

I used to go for preservation/bugs/knowledge. Of course, that was back in lords of creation or whatever it was. I could probably try for a stasis/unlife*-based theme if we want to go that way. Though I fear that I am not the best at staying in-character, so it might be short-lived...

*Well, more self-perpetuating life-equivalents. Stuff that needs to eat to function would sort of be missing the point even if they lacked a metabolism/ I could have the bound ghosts unable to move on, ancient skeletal sorcerers uselessly locked in their towers for centuries of research, and mindless zombies that lope around futilely until someone with a naked flame and a brisk walking-pace deals with them, while others would have an open claim to blood-drinking seducers and corpse-eating grave-robbers+hunters and spirit-devouring apparitions... I might also look into robots, golems, elementals and such, but they would probably only gain my favour after being established. Like, a brand new one would be a shiny new piece of progress rather than a persisting relic from the past...

P.S.
 Unholy and arch are cool, but I worry that the arch would be exposed due to being front-line, which is not always the best for your centrepiece unit which might be propping-up the whole army. And i definitely want a start on magic, so I would probably... well, very seriously consider unholy if we didn't get The Lich. And, well, intelligence would be really really nie, but I am banking on being able to extract the intelligent design from the lich and apply it to other things to get, well, I would expect the horde to always be mindless, but there could be genius generals, cunning commanders, and maybe even studious sergeants to direct them. Thus we can have the blatant disregard for opposition of "we have reserves" combined with the preservation of expertise and the command structure of "never leave a man behind" by having separate categories for "man" and "reserves".

I do think that there is a "best" option, but I don't think any of these are bad enough to give up on thematics. Or that my opinion on the best is necessarily correct.

P.P.S.
I concur with the votebox's accuracy.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:15:21 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19