Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please split fat and tallow into different stockpile options  (Read 2661 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Please split fat and tallow into different stockpile options
« on: November 30, 2017, 01:04:30 pm »

This has been bugging me for many a version now. I like to keep my tallow and fat separated in two different stockpiles.
But with the addition of more and more creatures, the repetitio of down-down-enter times several hundreds, times two (one for the tallow, one for the fat stockpile) becomes just too much too bear for my wrists' RSI tolerance.
Can the two please be separated in the food stockpile list selection?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jobywalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please split fat and tallow into different stockpile options
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:02:30 am »

This would be tremendously helpful for workflow reasons.

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 10:24:46 am »

Depending on exactly how things play out, it might be easier to add buttons to allow and ban fat and tallow separately, but otherwise keep the existing arrangement.  We already do have irregular items like prepared meals and empty cages using a very similar system, after all. 

I do agree that distinguishing the two more would be helpful, but my personal preference would be to place the butcher shop and the kitchen close enough to trigger automatic "render fat" jobs, and just not stockpile fat at all, to prevent hauling from interfering with the render job.  I handle raw hide the same way. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:39:14 pm »

In the same vein, a separate category for venom, blood, and such and what I'll term "Commercial extracts" - that is, milk, mog juice, and liquid fire - would also be nice.

EDIT: Farmable seeds and tree seeds button or split would be nice too, along with an order option to disable bagging of functionally useless tree seeds.

Acolyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 07:51:22 am »

This has been bugging me for many a version now. I like to keep my tallow and fat separated in two different stockpiles.
But with the addition of more and more creatures, the repetitio of down-down-enter times several hundreds, times two (one for the tallow, one for the fat stockpile) becomes just too much too bear for my wrists' RSI tolerance.
Can the two please be separated in the food stockpile list selection?

Easy way to do this - use the search function in the stockpile list for "Tallow" press enter then you can permit or forbid everything in that list.
Works for fat, too. It's how I keep everything separate.

- Shane

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:13:19 pm »

Easy way to do this - use the search function in the stockpile list for "Tallow" press enter then you can permit or forbid everything in that list.
DFHack only. There's no search function for stockpiles without it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Acolyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »

Really? That sounds like a needed feature for the base game. Maybe worthy of it's own suggestion?

- Shane

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 10:02:12 pm »

Really? That sounds like a needed feature for the base game. Maybe worthy of it's own suggestion?

- Shane
Try the search, it's surely been suggested several times over the past 11 years.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 02:29:17 pm »

We need search engines for everything in the game!  That would be a huge interface improvement indeed. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 02:42:10 pm »

Especially the new mission screen. I generated a world with over a thousand artifacts. Not fun to sort through for the ones I could actually take.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

rel1c

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 10:27:09 pm »

I agree that this is a good idea. In the meantime though you can always use a recorded action. I have one saved that covers almost all of the different fat/tallow types for a given world. I usually only have to clean up eight or so options at the end of the list depending on world history IIRC.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 11:15:27 pm »

- Shane
Just a note, you can tell it's provided by DFHack because the "s" key is in red instead of green.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:15 am »

Yeah, I'm using the DFHack search button now.

I found out how to split tallow and fat without disabling either in the stockpile settings too.
My butcher links to a fat/tallow stockpile (no barrels), set to take from links only. A kitchen takes from it, and in turn gives to another take from link only stockpile.
That way, the second stockpile only gets tallow.

Note that a butchery that has a take from link on it will need to have it's other products' stockpiles set to take from it as well (meat, body parts, hairs, hides, gizzard stones, bones, skulls, ivory/teeth, horn). For some reason workshops that have a take from link turn into some sort of inverse take from link only things, as in 'give to link only'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479