Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some mechanical stuff...  (Read 895 times)

S0ZDATEL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Some mechanical stuff...
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:54:03 am »

This is my third post and I've decided to gather here most of my ideas and suggestions on mechanisms in the game. Some of them I have already described in the previous topics once (and more), but still write them here, specific to mechanisms. So there we go:
1)Why mechanisms are connected remotely? Of course, we have axles, transmitting energy, but I'm talking about the mechanisms with which we connect the lever with the door. I think it would be better if you do something for them like axles. This will make the game more realistic, complicates the construction of mechanisms and will make it more interesting.
2)Perhaps the mechanisms will wear if you use? Stone mechanisms quickly wear out and they often jams, and the metal one will be quite durable.
3)What about wooden mechanisms? They might be quite flimsy and would break after about 20 uses.
4)Maybe, the mechanisms of different materials would have different latency? Metal one should do it a little faster. Wooden mechanisms could be slow.
5)Stone fall trap should be so that the stone was above a Z-level, which is a trigger. I have an idea: stone fall trap should be placed just under the hatch. When triggered, it opens the hatch above him. If you put on it stone (or anything heavy) - it will fall and damage enemy.
6)Weapon traps should require the transfer to them energy by axles. Something moves the blades...
7)If a dwarf will notice that trap was triggered, he should not just insert a new stone, but warn the player. Maybe the bottom will be displayed announce like "Urist notice a triggered trap."
8)Drawbridges have to create a wall of plausible height.
9)Drawbridges or retractable bridges should require an energy by axles.
10)Don't know whether this is a bug, but i can just build retractable bridges. As I understand from the wiki, it should be attached to other bridges, but I easily put a retractable bridge without it. In this case, where it retracts?
11)Decrease output power from the water wheel so that it been impossible to make a perpetual motion machine.
12)The windmill needs to change the output energy depending on height, time of year and weather.
13)Maybe add a overload or power limit for axles? I doubt that the axle can withstand any rotating speed or any power.
14)Add the conveyors. That would be great! And of course, it need to consume energy.
15)What about how to save energy? Maybe the flywheel? If it spin, and then stop the power supply, it will still spin by inertia for some time. Or the mainspring?
16)Maybe in the game should added mechanical workshops? They still require a dwarf to work, but also power, and spend less time to manufacture and produce items of better quality.
17)Add switching rails to minecarts to set it direction on turns. Of course, you can use rollers, but the switching rails will give you more flexibility.
This is a big part of what I do came up. I hope you will agree with me that it's cool.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:56:11 am by S0ZDATEL »

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
Re: Some mechanical stuff...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:32:58 am »

1) axles will take up more space, why not have it be more mechanisms that make a path to the item (I know its better to have axles for something else, but a door or a hatch shouldn't need an axle)
3) whats the point if there are stone mechanisms that are better and less wasteful
5) the current stone fall traps are useless, so why make it worse
7) the dwarves fixing it is more streamlined and less tedious (I'm guessing you want a [q] menu to reset the traps)
10) think the dwarves just have it retract into a second half that has a hole for the first half
11) planed
13) or have axles of different materials
14) whats the point
15) all energy is caused by turning (waterwheel, windmill), I don't think there is a good way to store that. you just need to use it
16) YOU DARE INSULT DWARVEN CRAFTSMANSHIP, YOU ELVEN SWINE.
17) this can already be done
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:39:11 am »

Happy to tell you a few of these points are planned or answered on the dev page and elsewhere ^^

Improved Mechanics

Better traps
      Stone traps should require the stone be placed above the tile that is targeted
      Stones should be able to roll (perhaps if they are started from or land on a ramp tile)
      Weapon traps should be multi-tile and require a spring or other potential energy source -- automatic resetting should require some explicit establishment of a feasible mechanism
   Large pipe sections -- walk on them or crawl inside them, allow passage for fluids
   Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)
   Waterproof axles through some mechanism
   Rock grinders? Fans? We'll do some other machines around this time -- whichever feasible ones are the most entertaining for dwarves and treasure hunters

As for the remote connections (and a bit more on traps in general), Tarn talked a little bit about this during the 2016 dwarfmoot (skip to 1:03:30), and how there's a balance to be struck between making it more realistic without making it too cumbersome or less fun.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 12:36:02 pm »

15) all energy is caused by turning (waterwheel, windmill), I don't think there is a good way to store that. you just need to use it

You can "store" mechanical energy on metal springs, though it loses the energy over time from stress deformation. Maybe a pulley-weight system? Slowly winding up a chain around a spool and releasing the chain to have it all unwind at once? IIRC that's how a raising bridge works so there wouldn't even need to be something special added.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 12:51:25 pm »

You can "store" mechanical energy on metal springs, though it loses the energy over time from stress deformation. Maybe a pulley-weight system? Slowly winding up a chain around a spool and releasing the chain to have it all unwind at once? IIRC that's how a raising bridge works so there wouldn't even need to be something special added.
never knew that.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?