Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Predict what bay 12 Forum Games and Roleplaying will be like in 10 years.  (Read 916 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio

Hmm.

I think that 3D headsets are going to be really big. And affordable to everybody. I think they already are, there's ones for sale for 20 bucks that use your cell phone.

I think this is going to really change things but I don't know that everybody will be using it in 10 years. So if we're still using traditional internet then I guess we're still probably playing forum games.

It automatically makes me think what will Dwarf Fortress be like in 10 years. Of course it'll still be ASCII even if there are even better exports for it. I suppose as long as there are ASCII games there will be forum games.
Awesome With Autism

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Predict what bay 12 Forum Games and Roleplaying will be like in 10 years.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 07:15:18 am »

3D ISGs for people with VR headsets, I guess?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:19:10 am »

I think the appeal of forum games comes from a few different things. Of course a major part is writing however it can't be ignored that a large part of it is that it's very accessible for people that have ideas for games to make them come true really quick. Of course it's also free and accessible for players.

However there's continually being made stronger and easier to use Game Maker tools and cheaper too. Soon, if not already and probably it is already true but even more so in the future you will just be able to throw on a headset and say a few things and waggle your hand around and before you know it you've made a game almost as easy as a forum game.

I think you already kind of see this stuff with Roblox, and just in many games they have map editors where you can make custom triggers and custom scenarios. This is already been kind of an easy game making tool.
Awesome With Autism

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:31:58 am »

I think the appeal of forum games comes from a few different things. Of course a major part is writing however it can't be ignored that a large part of it is that it's very accessible for people that have ideas for games to make them come true really quick. Of course it's also free and accessible for players.

However there's continually being made stronger and easier to use Game Maker tools and cheaper too. Soon, if not already and probably it is already true but even more so in the future you will just be able to throw on a headset and say a few things and waggle your hand around and before you know it you've made a game almost as easy as a forum game.

I think you already kind of see this stuff with Roblox, and just in many games they have map editors where you can make custom triggers and custom scenarios. This is already been kind of an easy game making tool.

tl;dr Making a sandbox forum game is easier than making a sandbox videogame.

However, SGs can have storylines updated on the fly. If a player decides "Hey, what happens if I do this thing that will totally send the plot off the rails?", the GM will probably make a new plot, it's certainly easier for a comparative programming noob like me to make a nonlinear, good SG than it is to make a nonlinear, good video game even with simple to use tools.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 08:02:59 am »

It's like the difference between a tabletop game and a video game; when you've got an actual person on the other side of the game, then it all becomes much more open, because if you do something nobody accounted for, it can still happen in a tabletop game, but not in a video game.

Forum games are probably going to keep being a thing; they're at that happy medium between tabletop and video games where they're available over the computer, but you've still got an actual person calling the shots.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 09:15:04 am »

It's like the difference between a tabletop game and a video game; when you've got an actual person on the other side of the game, then it all becomes much more open, because if you do something nobody accounted for, it can still happen in a tabletop game, but not in a video game.

Forum games are probably going to keep being a thing; they're at that happy medium between tabletop and video games where they're available over the computer, but you've still got an actual person calling the shots.

But what happens when VR allows those game creators to do that in 3D, on-the-fly? I think it would be a game changer.

We already use tools to aid us often times, at the very least things like random.org, but often word generators for ideas and names of places, map creation tools, online documents for information keeping and rules.

When it becomes quick and easy to create 3D content in just as many "clicks" as it is to do those things. Well I feel that people that do hobbies like this and make themselves creatively powerful will find that they are in kind of a wonderland for creating games and I think people are going to be excited to play them. For all the reasons you both stated.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:17:20 am by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 11:16:15 am »

Forum games will likey not change all that much.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG