Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Island Embarks  (Read 7714 times)

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Island Embarks
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:34:39 am »

I was curious if Island Embarks are still isolated from the rest of the map when it comes to liasons and possibly sending out dwarf squads for artifacts

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
Re: Island Embarks
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:06:27 pm »

you're still isolated.
liasons can't get to you and you can't send anyone out to raid since there is no way to travel across the ocean (unless it freezes, then I don't know what happens)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:37:04 pm »

thanks for the info, good to know

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 03:11:02 pm »

Unless something changed, outpost liaisons and caravans have always been able to reach island embarks. They're able to reach any embark, anywhere. Even glaciers on the other side of the world. You are however isolated from everybody else not sharing your island/glacier. I haven't tried the new sending out squads feature. My first guess is that you can't, but I'm not a good source of information on that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 05:00:11 pm »

I think by default that the first migrant waves and caravans arrive but stop after a set number on islands. if your island is close to the mainland enough you can build a bridge and connect to the continent, people and caravans will then be able to reach your fort

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 01:51:23 pm »

I think by default that the first migrant waves and caravans arrive but stop after a set number on islands. if your island is close to the mainland enough you can build a bridge and connect to the continent, people and caravans will then be able to reach your fort

This is an interesting case, my new fortress in 44.01 (now 44.02) is on the main continent, while my dwarf civilisation is isolated on a smaller continent. I did get the first year's dwarven caravan, and the outpost liaison has now left after taking my order for next year. I just traded with the elves, so there's some time to see whether I still get caravans.

I think this game needs some boat code. At least something that's abstracted out, that is.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 03:03:14 pm »

This has always been my understanding, that the first 2 migrant waves were hardcoded though I was unsure if the first liason is or not.  It's a measure just in case you gen a world where all dwarf civs die out.  Boats would be nice, especially now we can send our dwarves out of fort, and would be a downright godsend for adventure mode

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 03:44:13 pm »

I believe vjmdhzgr is correct (see above).
Since dwarven caravans and migrants teleport without regard for distance and blockages, it won't matter if the civ and the embark are or different land masses (and I suspect this might extend to visitors too). There might possibly be an exception if you manage to get an embark where the embark itself is completely surrounded by water (i.e. you can't reach the edge because of the water).

Other civ caravans can't reach you if you're out of range in the pre embark info. I don't know if this affects visitors from those civs.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 11:02:41 pm »

I believe vjmdhzgr is correct (see above).
Since dwarven caravans and migrants teleport without regard for distance and blockages, it won't matter if the civ and the embark are or different land masses (and I suspect this might extend to visitors too). There might possibly be an exception if you manage to get an embark where the embark itself is completely surrounded by water (i.e. you can't reach the edge because of the water).

Other civ caravans can't reach you if you're out of range in the pre embark info. I don't know if this affects visitors from those civs.
the first 2 waves and caravans are hardcoded, no more come after

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 11:03:25 pm »

Can adventurers bridge continents then theoretically? this calls for !!SCIENCE!!

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 05:22:37 am »

I mean, you can bridge oceans using EmbarkAnywhere. All you have to do is make then retire a line of forts spanning the relevant body of water.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 06:02:25 am »

I mean, you can bridge oceans using EmbarkAnywhere. All you have to do is make then retire a line of forts spanning the relevant body of water.
Yes. A fortress on a world tile considered to be "ocean" provides neighbor access through that tile, so if that tile was part of a single tile wide ocean, such a fortress provides a bridge, and you don't even need "embark anywhere" to do that provided you can find some embarkable land on either side but still within the ocean tile. I assume it would be possible to bridge a suitable two tile gap by embarking on the ocean tiles on both sides (I've only tried single tile gaps), while wider gaps would require "embark anywhere".

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 02:35:28 pm »

I was halfway through testing this when suddenly I remembered I don't even need to test this. Your civilization can ALWAYS access your fortress. Most civs have a specific range that they can interact with your fortress from. So if you're 31 map tiles from the nearest elven forest, then the elves can't access you. I forget what the range is but it's somewhere from 20 to 30 tiles. Anyway, using this logic just embarking 31 tiles from your civ but on the same continent would cut them off. Which it doesn't. Also while the first two migrant waves are hardcoded, the first caravan and outpost liaison aren't, so it wouldn't make sense that the first caravan shows up when no others do.

I decided to finish testing it anyway, and my third migrant wave definitely arrived.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia