Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Force bending  (Read 6495 times)

Centenkiko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Force bending
« on: December 02, 2017, 07:23:48 am »

Hello, I have been playing DF for years now, but since the latest update fighting in melee seems nearly impossible as almost every attack against my legs or arms, even though they are completely deflected by armor, will still inflict crippling damage by bending the muscle which almost always tears it, causing me to lose use of an arm or leg in the middle of a fight. These attacks are the result of simple hits like a kick to the foot, which is deflected by my boots but I lose control of the leg because of the tearing. Is the level of effectiveness of bending muscles intended or is this a bug?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Force bending
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 07:24:46 am »

Hello, I have been playing DF for years now, but since the latest update fighting in melee seems nearly impossible as almost every attack against my legs or arms, even though they are completely deflected by armor, will still inflict crippling damage by bending the muscle which almost always tears it, causing me to lose use of an arm or leg in the middle of a fight. These attacks are the result of simple hits like a kick to the foot, which is deflected by my boots but I lose control of the leg because of the tearing. Is the level of effectiveness of bending muscles intended or is this a bug?

Yes, intended.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 10:48:34 am »

Basically, how it works is (as I understand it) every concussive blow propagates to neighbouring tissues/members/armor from the point of impact, like a wave, according to the strenght of the blow. If a blade weapon is unable to slash through an armor (if it's too thick or made from denser material) the blow is converted into concussion.

Powerful concussive weapons are made from dense material like silver. A silver hammer will inflict gruesome wounds even through adamantine. Also, if you're facing gigantic opponent, armor won't save you because of that reason ; the dragon might not be able to pierce your adamantine plate, but it'll splat you down.

Your best bet is to invest a lot into shields, as shields completely nullifies the blow it parries, and to keep an eye on big opponent and those armed with anti armor blunt weapons. Dodge is another alternative, but from my experience, shields all the way.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:51:32 am by Cathar »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 06:25:11 pm »

Remember force is only half implemented at the moment. At some point it's planned for all that bending to apply in reverse too. Punch the bronze colossus and laugh as your hand shatters.

MetroChensual

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:18:57 pm »

Remember force is only half implemented at the moment. At some point it's planned for all that bending to apply in reverse too. Punch the bronze colossus and laugh as your hand shatters.
I'm waiting for that post where someone will punch a bronze colossus so hard that not only their fists explode, so do all of their body.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 02:25:05 am »

I'm waiting for that post where someone will punch a bronze colossus so hard that not only their fists explode, so do all of their body.
Queue another ridiculous thread where someone insists that, since Dwarf Fortress is meant to be a "reality simulator" (in their fevered imaginations), Toady should be testing how much force it takes a real body to explode into gore...

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:49:13 am »

Nonsense, we already know it is not possible to make a body explode. Except if you're punching from the inside...?

But yeah... If DF was a reality simulator, your hand would likely break before the skull of any enemy you punch and it would be fun for no one.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 04:15:47 pm »

Queue another ridiculous thread where someone insists that, since Dwarf Fortress is meant to be a "reality simulator" (in their fevered imaginations), Toady should be testing how much force it takes a real body to explode into gore...

No need to test, all the math is already doable with numbers present in the raws.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 02:10:47 pm »

Since the combat messages are somewhat ambiguous, I had to pay close attention before realizing whose limb the damage was going to the first time I played Adventure mode.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 04:51:17 am »

How would actual knights protect against this? I'm guessing they would have some sort of padding to absorb some of the force of the blow instead of it just being passed on from the armor.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 10:47:14 am »

Well, they...can't really. The gambinson would absorb some of the shock, but you can't protect much versus blunt trauma, which is why maces and warhammer were used as armorcrackers.
Doesn't make the armor useless at all tho, because not only they absorb some of the shock, but they also deny the use of cuting weaponry to the enemy, which are way more effective at killing than blunt impact weapons.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 11:34:49 am »

Powerful concussive weapons are made from dense material like silver. A silver hammer will inflict gruesome wounds even through adamantine.

To be honest, Adamantine armor is as useful as cloth armor against blunt attacks. It's like cloth which cannot be cut or pierced.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 12:41:56 pm »

To be fair, from things we've seen in interviews, it somewhat IS going to be a reality simulator. In that while there'll be caps on things, and fantasy elements, the world's SUPPOSED to use logic to apply everything. If we'd started with Toady's dream, instead of the thirty year Alpha cycle, it wouldn't be the same game we're getting, and all those classic bugs we love wouldn't have become famous.

The weirdness is the stuff that's not entirely going to stick through the dev cycle. Some really famous hiccups might stick around, but every update's been working mainly on the simulation of the thing, rather than the over-the-top Mortal Kombat arcadefest we've been getting. It might not ever get fully realistic within its premise, but it certainly won't be the accidental weirdness magnet we've had so far.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 09:14:27 pm »

While somewhat realistic, force bending made combat completely random and totally frustrating. "Somewhat realistic" I say, because I don't know how many adventurers I had crippled by peasants biting my armor and the shaking leading to a broken bone...if it is unfinished, Toady, please consider removing it before fully balancing it, as it just ruining adventure mode as it is.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 09:39:38 pm »

While somewhat realistic, force bending made combat completely random and totally frustrating. "Somewhat realistic" I say, because I don't know how many adventurers I had crippled by peasants biting my armor and the shaking leading to a broken bone...if it is unfinished, Toady, please consider removing it before fully balancing it, as it just ruining adventure mode as it is.
The game itself is unfinished. Should we just remove it until it's done and fully balanced some 20-30 years from now? Personally I'd rather play it, report weirdness and watch it grow over the next couple of decades.
Pages: [1] 2