Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to make a necromancer-esk mod  (Read 2459 times)

teddybear599

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
how to make a necromancer-esk mod
« on: December 02, 2017, 02:28:19 pm »

Ive been playing off and on for 7 years and with the new necromancer adventure mode things i wanted to try my hand making a different kind of mod if possible.  Any help would be lovely since i am what id call mod nooobish and dont even know if what id like to do is tech possible because of some aspects of it being hard modded.

I want to make playing a necromancer possible for both fortress mode and adventure mode.  Im aware you can make an adventurer and teach them necromancy but i kinda wanted to just play one out of the gate.
for the fortress mode i was thinking something along the lines of either all starting "dwarfs" being able to make zombies from all corpses or having a workshop that turns corpses / remains into their undead counterpart but as part of your fortress.  so you could call your group pet cemetery and use an army of zompets to protect your 7 necromancers and eventually send waves of undead cats/ dogs to kill all other civs :).  or only make able bodies zombies to do all the regular dwarfy stuff but make it possible to turn all invaders into undead slaves only to send them back in full steel gear to slaughter their once loved ones.

I would like to make note that i have not been able to spawn a game world with a necro tower to try out the mechanic yet with much frustration so im not aware of how much of what im asking is possible, just asking for help in what id need to do to make it possible and point out what things are hardcoded impossibilities.

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: how to make a necromancer-esk mod
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:47:02 am »

You might need to learn how to use dfhack or something, but probs not.
not just raising corpse, but shooting fireball and magic in general, you need to tweak with the reaction thing, im also noob but ive browse through the raws, you could go to the wiki for a reference on which token does what

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:39:09 am »

You can already make your fort dwarves into necromancers, without mods. Use an adventurer to pick up a book from a tower and drop it in your fort's library. Or if you're using the new version, you could just seize the books from the tower directly in forty mode.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:50:48 am »

Now does having a dwarf necromancer in the fort cause any problems? Like non necro dwarves being attacked by the reanimated minions?
Do these minions shamble around following the one that raised them, or do they simple just mill about their raised location?

Because a necro fort sounds cool, but if you're just reanimating bits around the fort that may or may not help you (I.E. butchers shop has a bunch of reanimated skin and hair)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 02:37:18 pm »

Now does having a dwarf necromancer in the fort cause any problems? Like non necro dwarves being attacked by the reanimated minions?
Do these minions shamble around following the one that raised them, or do they simple just mill about their raised location?

Because a necro fort sounds cool, but if you're just reanimating bits around the fort that may or may not help you (I.E. butchers shop has a bunch of reanimated skin and hair)

Reanimated zombies do indeed attack non-necromancer dwarves. Though necromancers will only raise corpses when in combat, so you shouldn't worry too much unless something hostile wanders into a corpse stockpile. Besides, if you make all your dwarves necromancers, you wouldn't have to worry about that at all, although a horde of passive zombies simply wandering through your fort might not be good for FPS.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 05:57:43 pm »

Try checking out the warlock civ in the legacy 34.11 masterwork dwarf fortress. Meph set the bar for me in what to expect for a necromancer civ in df. Unfortunately, thr vast majority cant be ported due to its massive reliance on dfhack. To be able to do a lot of the necromancy-like things knowledge of dfhack and interactions quickly becomes essential.

:P :P to be perfectly honest, I was planning on making this kind of mod myself. Part of the reason I wrote a script to fix the butcher sentient creature bug

Good luck!!
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:27:53 pm »

Try checking out the warlock civ in the legacy 34.11 masterwork dwarf fortress. Meph set the bar for me in what to expect for a necromancer civ in df. Unfortunately, thr vast majority cant be ported due to its massive reliance on dfhack. To be able to do a lot of the necromancy-like things knowledge of dfhack and interactions quickly becomes essential.

:P :P to be perfectly honest, I was planning on making this kind of mod myself. Part of the reason I wrote a script to fix the butcher sentient creature bug

Good luck!!
The warlock mode took 30 days of work to do, full time. It was super interesting to do and if you use the search you can find many threads I made about the difficulties and quirky behaviour of a necromancer in fort mode. It's almost impossible to do any reliable necromancer-interactions without dfhack though. The modding capabilities of the raws are simply not enough for that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

teddybear599

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 07:30:32 pm »

kinda what i figured which is a bummer because it be nice to just make a "necro" creature that you can adventure with from the start without all that tower finding and book stealering.  ill wait until the current ver tops out and mods catch up and look towards making my goal a reality at that point.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:46:25 pm »

kinda what i figured which is a bummer because it be nice to just make a "necro" creature that you can adventure with from the start without all that tower finding and book stealering.

Nah, that's pretty easy. Making a playable entity from necromancers, though, is what's hard.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::