Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What should a new adventurer do initially?  (Read 3048 times)

MetroChensual

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What should a new adventurer do initially?
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:27:39 pm »

I'm very new to the forums and i'm very new to adventure mode. Can you tell me what to do at the start of my adventures? all of my previous adventurers ended up dying horrible without accomplishing anything big.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: What should a new adventurer do initially?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 10:47:03 pm »

I'm very new to the forums and i'm very new to adventure mode. Can you tell me what to do at the start of my adventures? all of my previous adventurers ended up dying horrible without accomplishing anything big.

Inquire about any troubles to quest. Now ask for directions to the lair or whatever, then open quest log with Q, then search for th name of the site, then head into it and die horribly. Also, meadhalls contain weapons and armor in bags, get those.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 11:13:31 pm »

Though if you ask me, looking for new and interesting ways to die horribly is essentially 90% of the point. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 11:45:17 pm »

I'd say your first moves should be taking steps to ward off the most common cause of death.

• Acquire a shield if you don't have any (very important)
• Stockpile food. If possible, find a second waterskin so you're less reliant on water source. This is especially true if you're in cold areas. Always have water on you.
• Get a friend so you don't disappear into the night while adventuring and being surprized by sunset.
• Train if you can. Fight small enemies and work your way up. Don't hesitate spending your first weeks becoming stronger before starting your proper adventure

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 12:07:25 am »

You can fill your backpack with water, for like 30 units of water, as opposed to 3 on a waterskin.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MetroChensual

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 12:18:19 am »

How does any of the artifact quests work and how do i do them?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 01:19:06 am »

Some training.
Steath runs, swiming, brawls.
That kind of thing.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 10:26:29 am »

I'd say your first moves should be taking steps to ward off the most common cause of death.

• Acquire a shield if you don't have any (very important)
• Stockpile food. If possible, find a second waterskin so you're less reliant on water source. This is especially true if you're in cold areas. Always have water on you.
• Get a friend so you don't disappear into the night while adventuring and being surprized by sunset.
• Train if you can. Fight small enemies and work your way up. Don't hesitate spending your first weeks becoming stronger before starting your proper adventure

It's actually easier to get water in cold areas than anywhere else. To some extent. You can fill a waterskin with snow then heat it over a campfire, both using the I key. Then you don't even need a river.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 04:16:55 pm »

How does any of the artifact quests work and how do i do them?
Everyone's new at artifact quests. Just try looking for one and see what happens. A lot of people will mention 'the lost treasure' if you ask them about troubles.

Some people seem to be having trouble asking for information about artifacts once they start hunting for them for some reason. Not sure if that's a bug or just the obscure interface.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 05:36:00 pm »

Getting equipment is very important as said.
While taking weapon and armor from meadhalls (there's no consequence and none in those places even care at all currently, maybe in the future when Toady will get to implement some law enforcement system) , pay attention to their material .
The material of a weapon / armor makes a difference, usually you'll find iron, silver, bronze and copper type of item being relatively common .
For armor, iron is better than bronze that is better than copper
For edged weapon, iron is better than bronze that is better than copper that is better than silver
For blunt weapon, silver is better, iron - bronze - copper have roughly similar performance there.

there are steel , adamantine and strange materials but those aren't commonly found.

Note most weapons allow you to hit from the edge or from the blunt part of them, so be aware of the material of your weapon to use the most efficient part.
Whips used to be weapons of even steel armored enemy total destruction due to a flaw of how the combat system is coded, not sure if it has been fixed as it's been a very long time i have not used them, but whips are blunt weapons so a silver whip is something to be -very- feared.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 07:45:27 pm »

Throw rocks at ground > hug animal friends > find c̶a̶n̶n̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶d̶d̶e̶r̶ companions!
I commentate my own adventure here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYEG5XCM_F0&index=99&list=PL22FmIq3wbUgYfTdoVx1NAquLujBStGMZ&t=1h48m30s
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:50:02 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 11:20:26 pm »

macros... lots and lots of rock throwing macros you'll be the Anthony Rizzo of df (fastest recorded american pitch) and it powerlevels your stats, once youve maxed your stats vampires double your attributes and stop them from rusting, i did it with a giant elephant man, probably the most indestructible character ive played, one shotting
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and pretty much everyone with dual wield 2h swords

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 08:53:16 am »

Probably stick to version 43.05 for now due to some reputation bugs that are currently in effect not allowing for the proper advancement of fame. My advice is always to start locally important, and talk to the blinking pink person in the first room to ask them for orders if you just wanna get sent on a quest straightaway. Sword/shield is always an effective combination, and dodging/blocking are very important skills to avoid any crippling or lethal damage right off the bat. As many have probably mentioned - throwing is an incredibly helpful skill. Fill your pockets with rocks. And don't forget to murder plenty of small animals you see and butcher them for their meat.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:09:43 am by gnome »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 12:13:57 am »

Probably stick to version 43.05 for now due to some reputation bugs that are currently in effect not allowing for the proper advancement of fame. My advice is always to start locally important, and talk to the blinking pink person in the first room to ask them for orders if you just wanna get sent on a quest straightaway. Sword/shield is always an effective combination, and dodging/blocking are very important skills to avoid any crippling or lethal damage right off the bat. As many have probably mentioned - throwing is an incredibly helpful skill. Fill your pockets with rocks. And don't forget to murder plenty of small animals you see and butcher them for their meat.

playing as a bard is busted aswell -_-
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 09:35:06 pm »

Murder hobo your way to better stuffs