Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Let's Choose in Choice of Rebels: Uprising  (Read 11415 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Choose in Choice of Rebels: Uprising
« Reply #105 on: December 24, 2017, 06:09:04 pm »

It's been three hundred and fifty years since the Shayardene royal line was supposedly extinguished. The last Queen fell in battle to the Thaumatarch; the last Prince fled into the forest of Laconne and was never seen again. But from then until now, there have been rumors of a secret order among the nobility who hid the prince in the woods and ensured the persistence of the lineage.

Over the past century, at least three Shayardene Pretenders have declared themselves heirs of the Lost Prince of Laconne and won swathes of the nobility to their banner. All three rebellions were swiftly quelled: two with Kryptast assassins alone, one with massed military and Theurgic force. Still, the rumors persist that the Pretenders were only lesser scions of the Sovereign Bloodline, sent to test the waters by the deeper Laconnier conspiracy.

Breden told you all about the Laconnier Order, along with other stories of the old monarchy that she had overheard from her former masters when they were drunk and seditious. "They said there were no helots in Shayard before the Karagonds came. The kings and queens of old fed the realm and held it together without Theurgy—without any need for Harrowing!" Her eyes were bright and distant. "Four hundred years ago, we would all have been yeomen…growing our own food, defending the realm with our own strength in time of need. It's the Karagonds and their damned magecraft that turned us into food for a machine. They're the ones who convinced us all that there's no other way to hold Xaos at bay. They're the ones who started slaughtering us, and called it self-sacrifice."

You won the helots' trust, in part, by sharing something of your greatest skill:

1) Rhetoric and the art of persuasion.

2) Swordplay, pygmachia, and battlefield tactics.

3) Encyclopedic knowledge and reasoning skills.

((Please also vote for our greatest weakness.))

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 24, 2017, 07:21:14 pm »

1 is our strength, 2 is our weakness.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 24, 2017, 07:57:29 pm »

1 is our strength, 2 is our weakness.

^
Ideally we can get this rebellion done with little to no bloodshed.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2017, 05:09:30 pm »

Breden, like you, had a powerful natural knack for inspiring and convincing others—but of course neither she nor any other helot had been taught any skills of rhetoric. You, on the other hand, had taken to the discipline like breathing, ever since your first session with your cousins' oratory tutor.

"You want to convince more helots to start talking freely?" you enticed the group. "Well, there are ways of making an argument—cadences, structures, imagery—that the great rhetors of Karagon and Shayard have been refining for generations…."

"Tricks," Radmar summed up, but his scorn affected you much less than the avid expression on Breden's face. Blind Yebben Skinner, Elery's twin, had a natural way with words, and Pin also soaked up your lessons with delight. You fought to keep from laughing each time the helot child took a declamatory stance and began piping out the speeches of Oenone Magna.

To your embarrassment, the helots also soon found out about your greatest area of weakness:

ne afternoon you found the group covertly practicing self-defense with staves and clubs. "Show us some of that fancy bladework that you aristos learn, kurios?" Radmar asked, tossing you a roughly sword-length branch.

"In truth," you ventured, "my House wasn't rich enough to have me properly trained…." You half-heartedly tried some of the poses you'd been shown by a friendly young noble. They felt decent enough, but it took Elery all of five seconds to disarm you with her staff.

Ears burning at their suppressed smirks, you retired to the sidelines and watched them ruefully for the rest of the afternoon. When they ended with an all-on-all melee, it looked like pure chaos to you; if a real brawl broke out, you have to admit you'd have no idea how you or they could win it.

As the season turned, your weekly meetings with the young helots began to seem almost routine. Then the day came when you went up to the de Rose hut and found no one there. Scouring the wooded marsh frantically for any sign of Alastors, you finally spied a familiar silhouette atop an old fence, a few hundred yards from your normal meeting place.

"Kurios," Breden acknowledged your approach dully. She was staring at the late afternoon reds and oranges in the swamp water.

"Where is everyone else?"

"Lying low." As she craned her neck to regard you, you noticed the tension in her jaw, the hands clenched futilely in her lap. "You haven't heard?"

"Heard what?" you said, perhaps a little defensively.

"The Pelematou?" At your blank expression, she looked away again. "One of their helots, Poric Weller, was caught with a fistful of mullow."

You began to understand. "Ah. He was eating it with some lass?" Helots were strictly forbidden the herb mullow; it went against their collective duty to maintain their numbers.

"Some lass?" Breden laughed bitterly. "Poric and Radmar were happy together, kurios. No need of mullow there. No, he was bearing it to Lady Pelematou's son Georden. Naturally, the young man didn't want to admit to his mother that he was breaching chastity. So when Poric let slip his name in the beating, he cried slander."

You felt your throat tighten. "The penalty?"

Breden turned hollow eyes on you. "They took his tongue, kurios. Broke half the bones in his body, too. Radmar is caring for him now, and none of the others will venture out of the camp. Especially the women who might now be accused of eating mullow with Poric."

1) "I'm so sorry," I offered, feeling sick to my stomach.

2) "If Radmar were here, I'd offer condolences," I said steadily.

3) "This isn't the end," I insisted, trying to hearten her.

Spoiler: Current Stats (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2017, 05:26:05 pm »

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]