Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold shortage  (Read 519 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobold shortage
« on: December 03, 2017, 03:35:17 pm »

Hi,

I spent a whole lot of time on world gen, down to the point where I use excel because perfect world gen isn't precise enough...

But no matter what I do, I consistently get no kobolds in my maps, and I haven't seen any towers eiter. What do I do wrong? I want it to make as much kobolds, goblins and towers as possible, so I only limit max_start civ for humans, dwarves and elves. I know exactly up to where I can crank total_civ_number without getting only rejections, but as I said, no kobolds nor towers to be found.
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold shortage
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:56:33 pm »

Nevermind I was, ported a fresh world_gen from a fresh 44.02, tried less greedy... Now I have some, not as much as I wanted but some.
let

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 04:03:45 pm »

Kobolds are limited to one site per civ. So they get wiped out pretty quickly. One thing you can do is set max_starting_civs as high as possible for kobolds (in entity_default.txt) and lower it for everyone else. That can get you worlds with kobolds all over the place.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 04:16:03 pm »

And I assume you already know kobolds don't show up on the pre embark neighbor screen. Kobolds also need mountain caves, and megabeasts tend to claim caves as well, so you need to have enough caves to host all your kobold civs (and, as mentioned, they're rather squishy, so megabeasts are worse news for them than for most others).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:00:07 pm »

And I assume you already know kobolds don't show up on the pre embark neighbor screen. Kobolds also need mountain caves, and megabeasts tend to claim caves as well, so you need to have enough caves to host all your kobold civs (and, as mentioned, they're rather squishy, so megabeasts are worse news for them than for most others).
Do they still need mountain caves or are kobold caves now a new thing? Are megabeast lairs as detailed as the new kobold caves now?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:19:49 pm »

Yeah forgot to mention that I stumbled upon "mountain-caves" and "other-caves" (forgot) which I also cranked up. But it's weird, I feel like something in the way I set it up before got me way too many rejections too early, now it's ok.

Thanks!
let

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 12:41:16 am »

Do they still need mountain caves or are kobold caves now a new thing? Are megabeast lairs as detailed as the new kobold caves now?
Without actual knowledge, I assume kobolds need mountain caves, and when they're claimed by kobolds they'd be generated as kobold caves when an embark/adventurer visit causes the detailed world level to be created, i.e. the mid level tile seed would generate the cave differently depending on whether the cave is defined as a kobold site or not.