Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reverse CLA Idea  (Read 2209 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reverse CLA Idea
« on: December 04, 2017, 01:06:09 am »

Creature graphic support in DF is great... until a creature dies. Then it reverts to the tileset character. Then most creatures are displayed as a letter character that in no way resembles the creature corpse it signifies. So my idea to solve this is to sort creatures into a categories, with a category for each letter, both upper and lower case. The letter used will in some way resemble the creatures of that category. This would also be usable as an alternative to a graphics pack, with a reorganized mapping of creatures to glyphs. I've looked through the wiki, and most letters, plus a few additional characters are exclusively used to render creatures and text, so all these would be used for these new creature tiles. One limitation is, due to limited choices it is likely that the character letter will not always match the creature it will depict.

Example categories:
Bears.
bats and look alikes.
Sharks.
beaked men.
Whales and whale men.
cats.
humans, material men, and animal men that look more human than animal.

I'd like some feedback on this idea. Has anyone attempted this before? Would you use it?  One thing I am unsure about is with TWBT, is it's possible to make the characters not resemble the original letters at all (as an alternative), or it there are still things you want to be legible in tileset, even with TWBT?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse CLA Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:51:37 am »

One thing I am unsure about is with TWBT, is it's possible to make the characters not resemble the original letters at all (as an alternative), or it there are still things you want to be legible in tileset, even with TWBT?

I think the only things that TWBT doesn't work with are the in-game maps and creatures. GemSet and Meph Tileset don't include any text in their main tilesheets and rely on TWBT for text display. GemSet does what you are talking about with having creature categories for the dead versions on the main tilesheet.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:22:28 pm »

I usually create a few tiles and use them with graphics as creature tiles. A humanoid corpse, a big animal corpse, and a small animal corpse.

They only appear weird in adventure mode when out of sight, otherwise it's a suitable trade-off.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 02:19:14 am »

What is your idea King Mir?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:13:25 am by burned »
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast