Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why am i getting lag if i move around to fast?  (Read 3619 times)

Ryan7251

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why am i getting lag if i move around to fast?
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:30:26 pm »

Ok so i have a i5 6500 cpu and 8 ram (I don't think it matters but a GTX 1060 GPU)
Anyway i have noticed that if i move slowly i don't get lag however if i move around at too fast of a speed the game will lag not input mind you it's more of that freeze lag as if it was loading something only to start up once more anyway as someone that wants to get into DF Adventurer mode this makes me sad since i like moving faster then the game will let me.
I guess i don't understand how i can play cave of qud and CDD with no issues but i have issues with this game does anyone know what my issue maybe?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Why am i getting lag if i move around to fast?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 12:08:33 am »

Ok so i have a i5 6500 cpu and 8 ram (I don't think it matters but a GTX 1060 GPU)
Anyway i have noticed that if i move slowly i don't get lag however if i move around at too fast of a speed the game will lag not input mind you it's more of that freeze lag as if it was loading something only to start up once more anyway as someone that wants to get into DF Adventurer mode this makes me sad since i like moving faster then the game will let me.
I guess i don't understand how i can play cave of qud and CDD with no issues but i have issues with this game does anyone know what my issue maybe?

dwarf fortress is simulating an entire world/city filled with npcs with complex AI as you play. Caves of qud is simulating peanuts in comparison to what df is doing every tick. It still lags on my i7 sometimes, also the game needs more optimization but yeah whole world simulation (including all npc's that are historical figs) even off your screen., Caves of qud likely gets away with not simulating every single npc on the world  since they just sorta sit there. Thats likely why. Look up world activities/weather on the wiki if you wnat more info. Note that the article on world activities is extremely out of date as of the current version, there is a lot more going on now with agents running around spying on people gathering information and fighting for artifacts as you play. ANd NPC's partying up and taking on quests aswell.  (they will even go after you if you have one of those quests)

Not to mention all those conversations between NPC's happening and being tracked....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:17:19 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 06:45:37 am »

It should be the other way around. The slower you walk (or fly) the bigger lag. Because other entities perform more actions per your step. It's most evident when there is a massive fight, or you are in a fortress with many other guys, or you crawl.

Ryan7251

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:17:14 am »

dwarf fortress is simulating an entire world/city filled with npcs with complex AI as you play. Caves of qud is simulating peanuts in comparison to what df is doing every tick. It still lags on my i7 sometimes, also the game needs more optimization but yeah whole world simulation (including all npc's that are historical figs) even off your screen., Caves of qud likely gets away with not simulating every single npc on the world  since they just sorta sit there. Thats likely why. Look up world activities/weather on the wiki if you wnat more info. Note that the article on world activities is extremely out of date as of the current version, there is a lot more going on now with agents running around spying on people gathering information and fighting for artifacts as you play. ANd NPC's partying up and taking on quests aswell.  (they will even go after you if you have one of those quests)

Not to mention all those conversations between NPC's happening and being tracked....

I mean that's crazy impressive but it would be nice if that is the issue if there was a way to set if you wanted a living world or a world where maybe the game makes the area you are in living but the rest of the world standing still that way people with cpus like mine can play the game with less lag.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 11:29:49 am »

I mean that's crazy impressive but it would be nice if that is the issue if there was a way to set if you wanted a living world or a world where maybe the game makes the area you are in living but the rest of the world standing still that way people with cpus like mine can play the game with less lag.

Get a better computer.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Ryan7251

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:59 pm »

Get a better computer.
HA you think a i5 6500 cpu is bad with a GTX 1060 GPU man i would hate to know what you think of the fact i used to play with no GPU on a low end i3 cpu :)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:06:59 pm »

And i played on computer on which first battle for middle earth runned roughly 2 times slower than it should, but i noticed this only in the middle of second campaign, despite multiple shiny timers that had nothing to do with reality.
Please. Don't talk about all this things.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 02:20:34 pm »

I mean... I don't think Dwarf Fortress uses the GPU at all, so you gain no benefit at all from it. And Dwarf Fortress only uses one core of a CPU, so if the core DF uses has to handle any other processes it can become overloaded.

If you haven't already you could try prioritizing the DF processes so you select which core of your CPU it runs on, and then prioritize everything else that you might be running at the time so that they do not use the core DF is running on.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 03:07:18 pm »

I mean... I don't think Dwarf Fortress uses the GPU at all, so you gain no benefit at all from it. And Dwarf Fortress only uses one core of a CPU, so if the core DF uses has to handle any other processes it can become overloaded.

If you haven't already you could try prioritizing the DF processes so you select which core of your CPU it runs on, and then prioritize everything else that you might be running at the time so that they do not use the core DF is running on.

That might help, OP set dwarf fortress to real time priority. Its the best you can do me thinks.
What generation is the i5 processor? (GPU won't help you with df)

There are some things you can disable in the data/init file. That will definitely help you out.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 03:26:27 pm »

Get a better computer.
Have you been paying attention to CPU development the last 4 years or so?  Single thread performance has stagnated.  You can't get a better computer when nobody is making one.

Edit: Anyway I think the OP is referring to the small pause you get in adventure mode when you move 1/3 the way across the screen.  It does that because the way adventure mode works is that it reloads the whole map almost from scratch when the screen scrolls.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:30:51 pm by hertggf »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 09:54:03 pm »

Anyways, it's the RAM that matters, not the GPU. CPU matters quite a bit I think. I might someday make a rig made for DF and nothing else except browsing. OK CPU, boatloads of RAM, and a shitty GPU to cut corners on cost.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 01:22:09 pm »

I upgraded last year specifically for DF, with what was the fastest single-threader then (which was overtaken in January 2017, but not really by much). And I got an impressive boost in performance, for example my near-FPS-death fortress went from 12 FPS to 24 FPS (the new processor was 100% faster, and DF was 100% faster, what a coincidence). But after some more games I think that it isn't possible to build a really fast PC for DF with current technology. I mean, you can always create a world or situation which will slow it down to crawling. I think that it would need something like +1000% to be passable, which is not possible for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 04:14:14 pm »

That might help, OP set dwarf fortress to real time priority. Its the best you can do me thinks.

Do not do this. Set it to above average, maybe, but certainly not real time.

It's the point of the game. Dwarf Fortress is a crazy complicated world simulator, the crazy complicated combat simulator is merely a subcomponent.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 03:22:59 pm »

Probably okay if you limit which cores it can use. In Windows Task Manager, it's listed as "Set Affinity...", right under set priority.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:25:50 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 04:49:53 pm »

Probably okay if you limit which cores it can use. In Windows Task Manager, it's listed as "Set Affinity...", right under set priority.

Doing this is also bad. Limiting the cores will lead to a negligible at best speed increase and a speed decrease in the average case due to the fact that you're running up one of your cores to 100% for an extended period of time for no damn reason (the OS switching cores is actually really efficient).
Pages: [1] 2