Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Markov's Kingdoms [OOC]  (Read 4540 times)

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Markov's Kingdoms [OOC]
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:56:36 pm »

You are at the helm of a fragile kingdom. You must please your subjects, keep your economy afloat, and ensure your military superiority over the region. Some of the determinants of those characteristics are out of your control, but none other than you can steer your kingdom to greatness.

The IC thread can be found here.

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Markov Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: non-Markov Moments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Future Plans (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kingdom Creation (click to show/hide)

Waitlist:
Kashyyk
bloop_bleep
sprinkled chariot
Roboson
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:49:43 pm by UristMcChladni »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Markov's Kingdoms
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:01:49 pm »

Well, I am interested in this.

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:08:17 pm »

Well, I am interested in this.
Sigged.

But on a more serious note, if it seems that interest is truly low, and we can't get five people together, we can do it with 3 or 4, and I can either spend less time writing up posts and more time fleshing stuff out till more people pop in, or I can add a very rudimentary AI and have some other un-controlled kingdoms vie for control.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:27:59 pm »

Actually, can you clarify if you want me to fill out a kingdom sheet right now or not?

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 09:37:27 pm »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Like this?

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 01:27:43 am »

Actually, can you clarify if you want me to fill out a kingdom sheet right now or not?
Absolutely!

Like this?
Yup! I really appreciate you incorporated the cultural challenges to your kingdom into your backstory.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 02:09:43 am »

Kingdom Name:Eldrathion
Kingdom Location:Coastal mountains/valleys with sparse forests and some rivers. Located mostly on a short penninsula, but also going inland too.
Kingdom Race:Human. Someone probably needs to do it.
Kingdom Background: Eldrathion is an old kingdom which was originally just a bunch of small tribes warrign with each other. One tribe discovered iron, and subsequently conquered all of the area. Since then, they've been mostly architecturally focused, making tall buildings and stringer walls, but they also dabble in trade. They are also traditionally very pious, although in a more tolerant way than most.
Kingdom Tags:[Lagging miliatary] [advanced culture]
Leader Name:Imic Greymane
Leader Appearance:An old man with a short tidy grey beard, short grey hair,
Leader Background:Imic became the king at a reasonable age, when his Father fell down a flight of stairs and broke his neck. Imic was generally a politically oriented person, and prefferres to take a slow and thoughtful approach. He is slightly terrified of war.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:21:24 am »

Kingdom Name: Cantiera

Kingdom Location: Cantiera is nestled in a mountain pass, which itself is situated in a desert, bisecting its wide, sandy expanse.

Kingdom Race: Lizardfolk; Tall, scaly humanoids with lizard-like heads and tails that very closely resemble iguanas. Their coloration varies widely depending on where they live and who they were born to, but those who live in Cantiera trend towards being either sandy colors or greens and blues. Their natural spines running along their spine and neck are usually are the same color as their scales, but it's not uncommon for them to be more brightly colored, especially in males. They're largely herbivorous, much like their lesser cousins, and enjoy similar things like sunbathing and exotic fruits.
Those who reside in Cantiera prefer to dress in long, multicolored robes with fancy embellishments along the sleeves and buttons. It's also customary to paint one's spines various colors in regards to their trade, or for various holidays.

Kingdom Background: The kingdom of Cantiera was established originally as a small group of lizardfolk who had taken up residence in the pass as many traders tended to move through their on their journies through the region. As more trade went through the area, it grew from a rest stop into a settlement, and into a full blown town in very little time. It's architecture reflects the rapid boom, as well. The walls and spires are made of adobe, and they twist and turn around old and new buildings alike as it sprawls out from the center of the pass and into the surrounding desert.
It's become something of a hub of trade for the nearby area, with many cultures and strange goods passing through almost constantly. As a result of the constant exchange of goods and ideas, the kingdom has become steeped in culture, and the streets are usually filled with banners and flags celebrating several different happenings and holidays from distant lands. Incidentally, the constant movement means that some illicit activities can go more easily unnoticed inside the city walls, and a healthy black market stirs underneath the guards' noses.
Economically speaking they're also doing quite well, gold is always moving through the gates of the capitol, along with a healthy stream of dates and agave fruit from the nearby farms. Normally agriculture is difficult, but thanks to an underground aquifer it can be sustained, and is the method by which a majority of the kingdom is fed. That said, a good chunk of food for the kingdom is brought in by traders, requiring it to remain in their good graces.

Kingdom Tags:
Lagging Military
Robust Economy
Accelerated Culture

Leader Name: Chief Cielo Racion

Leader Appearance: Chief Racion is a tall, regal looking lizardman. He has opalescent blue scales and his spines are embellished with gold paint as a symbol of his status. He's usually seen wearing a yellow silk robe with intricate silver patterns running along its borders. Atop his head are jewels that hang on golden chains adorning his brow and cheeks. He's middle aged for his kind, but his eyes give off the impression that he's wiser than most.

Leader Background: Cielo Racion is of the Racion line, a family who had only recently come into power after the previous line of leaders had come to an abrupt and strange end as the last child of the Dorado family had suddenly contracted an acute case of raving madness. He had been quickly deposed and replaced with his closest adviser and Cielo's father, Golpe Racion, with very little fanfare or resistance. Golpe's rule was prosperous, but very focused on keeping the status quo with what the Dorado family was largely concerned with- Money. By the time Golpe had passed the economy was booming, but left much of the social life of the kingdom neglected.
Now, second in the royal line, Cielo had learned from an early age to ensure that he keeps his mind sharp and his wits about him, as well as maintain a healthy circle of advisers to keep tabs on the goings-on of the kingdom.
Since his life as a child was spent trying to escape the boredom of the financial machine that was his father's rule, Cielo is a very big proponent of schools and the arts, riding off of the economic health of his kingdom, and welcomes outsiders who offer new and interesting ideas to be shared. However, his lack of fear of the outside has left his military rather lacking in some areas, and the cultural growth has been substantial but has still only recently gotten underway.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23:04 am »

Spoiler: This good? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:48:04 am by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:30:30 am »

Can I reserve a spot until I finish my form?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 04:00:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 04:13:17 am »

So, Markov Chains are just probability based Finite State Machines, right?

If there's still a spot by my lunch break I'll throw a sheet together.

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 12:13:22 pm »

Kingdom Name:Eldrathion
Looks good, if a tad bit light on details.

Kingdom Name: Cantiera
Looks good!

Kingdom Name:Viri Sánguinum Imperii
Yup! I was wondering if anyone was going to double down on a specific trait. We'll see how well it works out; I can't decide if it's going to be overpowered, because min-maxing always is, or if I've put enough emphasis on the interconnectedness of traits that it'll balance out. Regardless, it's a perfectly valid choice.

Kingdom Name: Ha-Malkut
Looks good! Lovecraft isn't really my thing, so I don't have a deep understanding of the lore to bring in, but I get the flavor. Madness, limits of human comprehension, dark uncaring universe, etc. If there's lore you deeply care about, you should make it explicit (give me a list of names with short descriptions, or send me one or two short stories to read), because otherwise there's probably going to be a lot of randomly generated eldritch names.

So, Markov Chains are just probability based Finite State Machines, right?
Yeah, which allows you to calculate statistical parameters for their states at different times after initiation. I'm using this to balance the game, such as it is, by calculating the likelihood of your empires being in a given state 1 year (12 turns), 3 years, and 5 years out, and to do simple calculations like determine how likely you are to experience multiple changes in traits in a given time frame. Then I can play with the probabilities until I have something I like, and just apply those probabilities to the empires with every turn. Even though I won't make all of the probabilities public, I will set them at the moment of the first turn, and if I change them I will ask for feedback and describe in a qualitative manner what the change would be.

Quote from: A few of you
Open spots/Holding a spot/Getting a sheet in
I face a quandary. I'm much more comfortable beginning with 6 than with 8, but I always have a hard time deciding how to rule people out. We're at five right now, and I'm not sure if it should be first to reserve, first to post, or merit based. But you are always more likely to get in if you do post a sheet, and by my count we have five submitted at the moment.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 12:29:13 pm »

Looks good! Lovecraft isn't really my thing, so I don't have a deep understanding of the lore to bring in, but I get the flavor. Madness, limits of human comprehension, dark uncaring universe, etc. If there's lore you deeply care about, you should make it explicit (give me a list of names with short descriptions, or send me one or two short stories to read), because otherwise there's probably going to be a lot of randomly generated eldritch names.
I'm fine with this.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 12:53:59 pm »

I want to develop it more as we go along, rather than be stuck with heaps of pre existing stuff I came up on a whim. By the end if this, I'll probably have written enpugh lore to make several novels.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: [1] 2 3