Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 69561 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2019, 10:52:03 pm »

Request from veantur for mountain lakes..

Spoiler: MountainLakes1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MountainLakes2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MountainLakes3 (click to show/hide)

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2019, 04:50:28 am »

Hey,

I'm working on a hardcore world but I didn't get what I need, maybe someone here can help me !

I'm trying to generate a "hell world", with lots of !!FUN!!, the game is too easy for me I need challenge :p

- Lots of evils
 - Lots of beats, creatures, demons, necro....
 - Volcanos
 - Lava
 - Cold or Hot
 - Not a lot of trees
 - To make that outside is very dangerous (evil rain/cloud ?)
 - Not a lot of minerals
 - Smaller world

Short.. a very dangerous world but still playable!

I'm playing with the Meph Tileset and all civs from fortress defense mod.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2019, 08:11:54 am »

vjek's hell hole embark was rather interesting:
- No water anywhere (hospital care was a challenge, and obsidianization obviously wasn't an option)
- Reanimating
- Lethal temperatures on the surface resulting in death if caught out in the rain (the fat melted, resulting in the dorfs bleeding out). Also, caged animals brought by caravans died in their cages and somehow were reanimated outside of the cages when in the trade depot (took quite some time to figure out what was going on)
- No trees anywhere (I think), although there might have been some blood thorn in the third cavern.

It took me quite a few attempts to start an embark, as the local undead tended to slaughter the starting 7 before they could even get underground, and those reanimated from the earlier attempts added to the difficulty. I think I had to restart from scratch a number of times because the undead horde had grown too large.

It was quite some time ago, so it was probably generated with 0.40.24. Since vjek has returned, it might be possible to ask for a similar embark with the current version.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2019, 10:07:27 am »

I will see what I can do this morning to produce something similar for KassaK.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2019, 04:05:53 pm »

Here's one that is pretty risky:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Steel Friendly
Very Cold (all non-metal, non-living embark items will be destroyed by frostbite / cold damage a few days after embark)
Many semi/megabeasts/demons
Reanimating Biome
Repellant Slime rain
No surface trees
No surface water
No aquifer
--

A note about some of the requirements requested.  It's challenging to get some of these things together in the same world.  In particular, you can have Necromancers, and elves, humans, goblins, and dwarves, all together, no issue there.  But if you crank up semi/megabeasts/titans/demons high eough, they simply kill everything within the first 200 years.  So, you can have risk, and it's possible to have necromancers too, but the first possible solution (above) of the requirements doesn't have these.  Mostly because making a single purpose world with only dwarves left in it (with a dead, dying, or almost extinct civ) is vastly easier than having all the races available.  8)
In other words, if you want thriving/many necromancers, I'm happy to create a world with that, but the semi/megabests/titans/demons will be far fewer, as a consequence, just to have some civs survive.

IndigoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2019, 09:19:58 pm »

Could always just stop the history before the megabeasts/necromancers kill all the goblins and elves or vice-versa; a year 50 embark should be plenty challenging.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:21:30 pm by IndigoSnake »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2019, 02:31:22 pm »

I've been doing some temperature testing the past few days, figured I would share the results.

In 0.44.12, in PSV pocket worlds without north/south poles, the following appears consistently true, for me:
Creating a world with -1000 as a minimum temperature, and 267 as a maximum temperature, in advanced worldgen parameters, results in embarks that are pathable, and both very cold (Freezing) and very hot (Scorching).  Both extremes are lethal in a very short time, although in either case, if you can get underground immediately, you and your animals can survive.  Each extreme requires several days to kill living creatures, although only a few hours to destroy (via frostbite and cold damage) anything non-metal and non-living.

Embarks with a temperature higher than 267 in advanced worldgen (and as a result, hotter than 10199'U on a walkable tile, via probe) will potentially create embarks in which creatures will not path over these areas.  If creatures are spawned on or in these biomes, they will stand in place forever (or until dead), although they will walk to an adjacent tile if it goes underground, for example.
If you attempt to pasture animals in a designated pasture within a 10200'U or hotter area, the dwarves will not drag the animals to that pasture.  Also, meeting areas designated in a similar fashion will not be used.
Specifically, -1000 in worldgen means ~9250'U at the embark.  Similarly, 267 in worldgen means ~10199 at the embark (pathable, lethal).  268 in worldgen means ~10200 at the embark (unpathable, lethal).  I use approximately here because sometimes at the embark temperature can vary by 1 degree (10198, 9249, etc)

Hilariously, in reanimating biomes of this bitter coldness, often times creatures will not exist as a corpse long enough to be reanimated, on the surface, as the corpse disappears too quickly from cold damage.
However, in the rare case where they do become re-animated, they will eventually die (again) to the cold, and their corpse will disappear.  Very small corpse pieces do not disappear as quickly from cold damage, for some reason.

Finally, under either or both of these extreme temperatures, no plants or trees grow on the surface and no animals roam (or arrive) at the embark outside of migrant waves and visiting merchants/traders.
The next phase of testing will determine the limits of wild animal cold/hot tolerance, so they will arrive and depart the embark as normal.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2019, 03:24:01 pm »

i'd say the varying might be related to elevation, but you like flat maps. I guess all these numbers were done at 299, in any case?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:03 pm »

They were, yes.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2019, 02:46:33 pm »

Finished some more temperature testing.  I'll summarize, and my full notes are in the spoiler.

There are a few features that work or don't work, based on temperature.  They are: pathing, wild animal wandering, food stockpiles, meeting places, pastures, and insects.
If all you're looking for is for most things to work as expected, don't go beyond a -90 and/or +100 worldgen temperature setting.  If you stay within -90 to +100, most things will work, it's not too risky.
However, there are some pretty cool cutoffs/thresholds you can use to limit or create interesting scenarios for your embarks.
When I make reference to insects/vermin, I mean ants, termites, bees, acorn flies, and similar.
This testing was done with at 299 elevation, with a PSV pocket world that had explicit painted temperatures.  The tested biomes were scorching deserts and freezing tundra, respectively.  Rainfall was zero in all test worlds.  All test embarks were Evil.
The first number in the test results is the worldgen temp, the second value, in 'U, is the measured embark surface temperature (with DFHack 'probe').
If you want to have insects only, but no wild animals showing up, use -103 and +113 for worldgen temps.
If you want to have the most extreme possible temperatures that aren't instantly lethal (but still pretty lethal!), yet still permit pathing, you can use -1000 to +267 for worldgen temps.
If you want to ensure you have wild animals always showing up, you can use -91 to +104 for worldgen temps.
Of course, if you don't explicitly paint or otherwise specify weights for those temperatures, there will be an even distribution of temperatures by default.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2019, 11:55:18 pm »

For worlds with poles, PatrikLundell's Technical Temperature !science! should pair well with your on-embark temperature research.

The max variance of 64 is just enough to have an embark that can get wild animals in mid-winter and deadly hot in summer.

Other way around I think you can only get incidental damage to surface wooden constructions.

(And of course, one can have the two on same embark, creating winter and summer hunting seasons.)

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2019, 03:05:47 pm »

I started building a fort on an embark from here, so I thought I'd share. It's in zdrgn's MREVIL53 world, from page 2. It has a good mix of features, without being overpowered.

Prospector screenshot:
The lake stays frozen, but under and around it at are clay, sand, and fire clay, for crafty trade goodness, a ready supply of wood-free barrels and bins, and underground pastures. Water is down in the caverns. While you'd need DFHack to embark in the 1x3, but there are normally-embarkable spaces including that segment.

Post-embark prospect all (due to using a Kabini powered toaster, I embarked in the 1x3):
Reasonable amounts of pretty much everything an Urist needs, except for surface water. No spires of fun, that I could see. There's only a little hematite, but that, the one lone top-side tree, the deep water, and the evil biome, are part of the charm of the site.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:07:53 pm by bucketsofbuckets »

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2019, 01:15:19 pm »

I did a thing here....

9 Necromancer towers in the first 100 years. Pretty standard world, well, you can see...

World code here...

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:17:02 pm by thefinn »

Dwarves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2019, 01:10:24 am »

@PatrikLundell: PSV is probably easier way to place volcanoes. Did you forget yourself posting the tool for moving necro towers?

Anyway...
I'm looking for an embark (3x3 to 4x4, inclusive) with:

- a volcano (flat or not)
- a source of water
- a large amount of candy
- savage evil biome with reanimation, hopefully bordering Joyous Wilds
- lots of beasts
- necro tower, if possible
- sand (for glass), if possible

I'm quite new, so please tell me if this list is either incredibly hard to satisfy or even downright self-contradictory. I tried using PerfectWorldDF after installing it in a VM, but couldn't even manage to get a "volcano-infested" world, let alone something with all this.

My goal is to build an obsidian/glass fortress with a volcano at the base and kill a lot of monsters, or, more likely, have my fortress die in the attempt. :)

Some amount of steel precursors (i.e. iron ore, flux, and some coal) would also be good to have, or iron at the very least (masterwork iron is good enough for me): just enough to tide me over until I hit the candy veins.

Tip: Only geography change 44.01 did was changing the random placement of evil and good biomes.

That said, this is pretty trivial if you don't mind things such as weak civs, sand desert, aquifer/cave water or non-flat. Extrapolating on previous work, a quick and dirty example:

||

||

Spoiler: ores (click to show/hide)

You can expand it to the north or south for 3x3 but that won't get you any more candy.

Spoiler: some pops (click to show/hide)

(other retreats have unicorns though)

Spoiler: params (click to show/hide)

Of course, you didn't mention version you're using. That was with 44.10, using other seeds and versions the results may vary, but you're highly likely to find what you want anyway:

||

Mind, you'll get much greater freedom with PatrikLundell's tools.

I'd love to have a version of this for 0.44.12? In the current version; the world gen will always be rejected before it places 100 civs. It will not place humans for some reason and I am not totally sure why, there seem to be the requisite neutral savanna and grassland biomes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:14:17 am by Dwarves »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2019, 01:44:15 am »

That's odd.....*tests with the exact parameters in post*

Nope, this worked:

Are you sure you're using vanilla raws?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15