Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 69492 times)

Dwarves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2019, 08:00:56 am »

I had disabled aquifers using the PeridexisErrant's starter pack, that seems to make the difference. I was not aware this could have such an effect.

For example, this is the world resulting from disabling aquifers and accepting the rejection.

Anyways, thank you Fleeting Frames for testing the params.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2019, 12:07:59 pm »

Neither was I, but something still isn't right - even not considering the rejections (which shouldn't happen, but see below) there's literally zero human hamlets on that screenshot. Try downloading a fresh copy of DF directly from bay12 (not with a starter pack) and using that?

And, *digs into old PMs* oh right - before CEHA posted this thread and went AWOL literally the same day, some of the worldgen regulars were considering what to include in the OP and we did figure out that previous OS-incompatibility (that applied in worlds that generated with rejections) now applied more wider - not only with rejections, but also with bitness, and even with two people using same OS and download of DF (though across different OSes the results could have been same as well).

Since that happened, it was never mentioned outside of PMs anywhere that I recall.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:15:09 pm by Fleeting Frames »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2019, 01:05:26 pm »

It's been mentioned a few times but basically nobody has put the effort into tracking down the problem (and its scope/variation).

Patrik created a bug report: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10420
It was reported to worldgen grandmaster vjek about a year ago when they were briefly around again (- one of the old worldgen threads?)
And more recently it was a relevant piece of consideration for a question in this current thread
Starting with 44.02 there have been some differences of world generation from the same seed using different OS's, at least on occasion, even without rejections.

Probably a few other times as well.  ;)

But yeah, its not really common knowledge and basically no-one is interested.  (And small change compared to relationship/stress balance, raid equipment bugs, ...)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2019, 08:45:26 pm »

Oh, good to know it was reported.

And yeah, thanks for mentioning. My recalling isn't perfect, and this isn't very searchable.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2019, 11:29:54 pm »

So, this may be a question that's been asked somewhere before, but I can't find it. Let's say I wanted to create a world that's similar to the one I'd get from using the basic generator, but then modify it. Is there a way to do that? Let's say I want a map that's Small, with a Short history, Medium number of  civilizations, High number of sites, Very High number of beasts, Very Low natural savagery, and Frequent mineral occurrence. What settings would I use for that? It seems like you could make a table with what settings you have to use to get the desired result for a given world size. Does such a table exist?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2019, 02:37:56 am »

So, this may be a question that's been asked somewhere before, but I can't find it. Let's say I wanted to create a world that's similar to the one I'd get from using the basic generator, but then modify it. Is there a way to do that? Let's say I want a map that's Small, with a Short history, Medium number of  civilizations, High number of sites, Very High number of beasts, Very Low natural savagery, and Frequent mineral occurrence. What settings would I use for that? It seems like you could make a table with what settings you have to use to get the desired result for a given world size. Does such a table exist?
You can use Legends Mode to export a file that contains all the settings used to create a world (including the seeds). You can then paste those settings into <DF>\data\init\world_gen.txt and use it in advanced world gen to generate exactly the same world. By removing the seed(s) you can get new ones to get similar worlds (keeping the first seed results in the same geography but with different history, for instance). You can also modify other parameters slightly from the original, but many, probably most, changes will affect the geography.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2019, 03:01:41 am »

I'm far from being an expert but I've been playing with this landscape creation software:

https://quadspinner.com/m/Gaea

It's... Well, not streamlined or easy to understand, the ui is not helpful at all and it's far from completed. But Hey, ee're DF players, we're somewhat used to that, żaren't we?

Thing is, the free edition exports nice .png heightmaps for using in Perfectworld. Oversized, but usable.

I'm sure this particular thread can appreciate a worldbuilding toy.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2019, 06:19:12 am »

You can use Legends Mode to export a file that contains all the settings used to create a world (including the seeds). You can then paste those settings into <DF>\data\init\world_gen.txt and use it in advanced world gen to generate exactly the same world. By removing the seed(s) you can get new ones to get similar worlds (keeping the first seed results in the same geography but with different history, for instance). You can also modify other parameters slightly from the original, but many, probably most, changes will affect the geography.
Thank you so much! That's a lot of help!

Chaikhou-L-Jabal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2019, 07:55:24 am »

Hello and thanks in advance for your help !
I wish to embark in a mangrove swamp but I have never encountered this biome before, is it possible to make it more common in worldgen ?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2019, 09:29:04 am »

The quick answer is, yes.  :P

A somewhat longer answer (unless I'm mistaken about something) is that the Mangrove Swamp biome is just a special case of the Tropical Saltwater Swamp biome that has 'mangrove trees' present.  Without modding getting mangrove trees is down to luck, but to maximise the chance of that we can maximise the occurrence of tropical, swamp, and potentially saltwater in an advanced worldgen.

An extension of the longer answer is that:
  • swamps occur with drainage <33 and rainfall >65
  • the entire map can be made tropical by selecting no poles and making temperature >84
  • salt water (presumably) can be maximised with lots of elevation in the second band, i.e., 80-160 and some sort of island base
See if that works for you.  If not I might be able to give it a go myself in a day or two.  :)

knainoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2019, 04:36:28 pm »

Does anyone have a seaside cliff seed? Preferably with the cliffs facing the ocean. Want to make a seabridge as the only access.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2019, 05:52:52 pm »

Does anyone have a seaside cliff seed? Preferably with the cliffs facing the ocean. Want to make a seabridge as the only access.
Try this set, knainoa.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2019, 07:39:59 pm »

Hello and thanks in advance for your help !
I wish to embark in a mangrove swamp but I have never encountered this biome before, is it possible to make it more common in worldgen ?
This one should work.  The south-most 3 rows are typically Mangrove swamp, with these parameters:
Spoiler: mangroves (click to show/hide)
Couple of interesting things.. these trees are very tall.  Normally I limit the amount of above ground Z-Levels to 4, but had to go to 10+ for these trees.  I don't usually play with trees, so maybe this is normal now, but it seemed out of the ordinary to me.  Also, despite being a mangrove swamp, mangrove trees are often the least numerous trees, but at least they are there.
Also, there's some weirdness going on with temperature and these biomes.  I haven't taken the time to narrow down the cause, but setting the worldgen temp to what it should be "normally" doesn't result in these biomes having the corresponding expected temperature.  As a result, if you set the temperature to what would normally be too high, everything except the mangrove swamp biome is too hot, (for pathing, insects, wandering wild animals, or stockpiles to work as expcted) yet the mangrove swamp is still up to 30-40'U cooler.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2019, 09:28:34 pm »

I think that's partly due maxed out rainfall. When using poleless worlds, I make tropical forests as well as swamps with minimum rain possible to limit how much it drops the temperature in wg.

Chaikhou-L-Jabal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2019, 09:00:09 am »

Thanks a lot for the responses, I was able to find what I am looking for.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15