Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 69579 times)

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page
Re: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2019, 11:43:13 pm »

I haven't played in a long long time. Can someone refresh me how to make a world with a lot of savannah, savage preferably?
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED
_|   _|             BUTTS

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2019, 06:25:10 am »

You will want to make an advanced world generation (see http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation).  Savagery has its own setting.  Savanna appears when rainfall is between 20 and 32, so increase the second band of the weighted range (3rd number in tag) after selecting a mesh size.  Beware that orographic precipitation messes with rainfaill distritbution, so you might want to turn that off.

Other options are up to you but using the settings of one of the default worldgen's is a possibility.  :)

Personally I find it easier to manipulate .../data/init/world_gen.txt directly with a text editor rather than using the DF interface.  Add any new parameter set to the end of the list.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2019, 09:57:20 am »

I haven't played in a long long time. Can someone refresh me how to make a world with a lot of savannah, savage preferably?
This should get you started, Milkbot:
Spoiler: savannah1 (click to show/hide)

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2019, 06:52:36 pm »

Thank you both for your help. On my savage savannah playthrough now! here's hoping for some aggressive elephants
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2019, 02:35:44 pm »

Don't want to spoil your playthrough but elephants won't appear in savanna (in df).  They need tropical forest or tropical shrubland...   A list of the creatures that might appear in savannas is here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Savanna but maybe rhinocerus and lions are enough.

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2019, 06:01:37 am »

Oh bugger, but thank you for telling me early. I think I still remember how to edit their raws so they'll appear in savannahs if I just copy the same line from rhinos. Will I need to rebuild the world tho?
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2019, 07:50:41 am »

Oh bugger, but thank you for telling me early. I think I still remember how to edit their raws so they'll appear in savannahs if I just copy the same line from rhinos. Will I need to rebuild the world tho?
If you haven't embarked yet and use DFHack you can hack the biome with the Biome Manipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164658.msg7495705#msg7495705, but you can't do that after embark. If you mod the raws to allow Ollifants to appear in savannas you have to regenerate the world, as well as have luck with the RNGs to get them to appear. The list of creatures available to each biome is generated during world gen, can be hacked before embarking, but there's not much of a chance after embark (I've only been able to replace one plant with another, not add anything, and I don't think there's a fundamental difference between plants and animals in this respect).

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2019, 02:57:20 pm »

So, I'm trying to get a world filled with goblins and towers, with no other races. Goblins obviously can't make towers, but I've made two minor changes to allow them to do so, which I found on an old thread. I gave them religion for them to be able to learn from their gods, and I gave them mortal (albeit extremely long) lifespans, which does in fact let them make towers.

The problem here is that I'm not getting towers in reliable or large amounts. In another, equally old reddit post, I've found that towers are aided by having more civs, but there's a second problem in that I'm for some reason unable to get more than two goblin civs to spawn without almost infinite rejections because they refuse to spawn on evil glacier. They've got ANY_MAIN as their start and support biomes, and use evil plants, animals, and wood, so they should be able to do so like normal, but they aren't.

Any ideas?

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2019, 04:35:22 pm »

If you haven't embarked yet and use DFHack you can hack the biome with the Biome Manipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164658.msg7495705#msg7495705, but you can't do that after embark. If you mod the raws to allow Ollifants to appear in savannas you have to regenerate the world, as well as have luck with the RNGs to get them to appear. The list of creatures available to each biome is generated during world gen, can be hacked before embarking, but there's not much of a chance after embark (I've only been able to replace one plant with another, not add anything, and I don't think there's a fundamental difference between plants and animals in this respect).

Ahhhh, thank you! That did the job
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2019, 09:46:01 pm »

@NordicNooob: Maybe you don't have enough demons?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2019, 07:39:53 pm »

Don't think that's the problem, I haven't touched anything related to them. At the least I've got ten types, I think that's the default for my world size. I'm very likely wrong on that number, but there's no way it's anything less. And you either have zero demons or an innumerable horde, so if some goblin civs can spawn I don't think there'd be any problems getting demons for the others.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2019, 02:53:13 am »

Don't think that's the problem, I haven't touched anything related to them. At the least I've got ten types, I think that's the default for my world size. I'm very likely wrong on that number, but there's no way it's anything less. And you either have zero demons or an innumerable horde, so if some goblin civs can spawn I don't think there'd be any problems getting demons for the others.
No. There are innumerable demon peons, but each gobbo civ requires their own unique boss, i.e. one type per gobbo civ.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2019, 06:12:16 am »

Didn't think that'd be the case, I thought of that but deemed it not likely. I've got ten types of demons and I'm failing to make seven goblin civs. Maybe there's some co-requirement or something, like not being a flier or whatever, so I'll quit arguing and give it a shot.

Two or so worlds later...

Okay yeah, you were right. Turning demons up to 50 fixed the problem with not getting more goblin civs. But the more goblin civs is giving me only marginally more necromancers than just like, two big ones, although it is noticeable.

EDIT: Oh wait, nevermind, the worlds I tested with were just of the wrong "type." For some reason, there's two types of world. In one, which I'll dub 'little spread' the civs spread to adjacent tiles around their currently owned sites and tend to harshly enforce not living in evil glacier. I don't know why, but those worlds don't make towers very well. The second type, which I'll call big spread, has the civs found sites sort of close to their capital, but just sort of places them willy nilly and eventually fills in the gaps if you let them expand that much.

Spoiler: Example of big spread (click to show/hide)

These aren't the greatest examples; little spread is much more clearly defined in worlds that don't have spots that get avoided, which in my case makes them skip around with site placement a bit more. And contrary to my statements, the little spread example actually has more towers than the big spread example, but that's an outlier here.

So, I've mostly got what I want now, which is really all that can be expected in the trickier worlds to gen.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:32:44 am by NordicNooob »

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2019, 10:23:21 pm »

When my last volcano+waterfall fortress ended in ruin, due to an overabundance of werechameleon residents..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I swore I'd just find a new location without being so picky(no more chasing waterfalls).
I searched for any river + volc + flux + 2 biomes + not flat with DFhack's embark-assistant.

Of course then I found the best waterfall I've seen yet in a winter wonderland setting.

Frozen 45z brook waterfall falling into a giant wide river that creates a chasm 45z on each side, with temperate calm forest biome in bottom left two embark tiles, and cold calm mountain biome that caps with wide plateaus for the rest of the 3x3 embark.

Gallery of 16 slices 4 apart on the way up with detail at top and bottom:
https://imgur.com/a/3VFCZ

Custom worldgen parameters with seeds for exact replica:
(and very high incidence of flux+volc+river+minerals and waterfalls)

generated worldmap with red circle:

StoneSense:
https://i.imgur.com/Y9aBb46

Is it still possible to find/generate this world in 44.12? I can't seem to get it to work. Alternatively does anyone else have a map with a similar set of features?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2019, 05:09:16 am »

I'd say try generating it in 44.07 first, but I suspect it won't work there either due your OS/libraries.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15