Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 69555 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2019, 06:52:26 am »

I'm trying to get a world going that exists as a single cohesive continent with no internal oceans. I have so far failed in this task. Would there be any World Gen Gurus who would have advice as to my plight?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2019, 04:05:00 pm »

Is it still possible to find/generate this world in 44.12? I can't seem to get it to work. Alternatively does anyone else have a map with a similar set of features?
This post contains the source of this file:
Which, if you save/open it in your browser, will let you select all the features that you would like to see, and add your own, too, if you wish.
You can just select what you want, click the button at the bottom, and copy/paste the results into a reply/post.  It's not explicitly clear what you're looking for in an embark, is why I bring this up.
Once you have a list, we can iterate.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2019, 04:17:42 pm »

I'm trying to get a world going that exists as a single cohesive continent with no internal oceans. I have so far failed in this task. Would there be any World Gen Gurus who would have advice as to my plight?
Do you care if the world is square?  If not..
Spoiler: 1continent_1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:20:00 pm by vjek »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2019, 04:54:10 pm »

I’ll try it out in the morning, thanks!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2019, 02:40:00 pm »

Is it still possible to find/generate this world in 44.12? I can't seem to get it to work. Alternatively does anyone else have a map with a similar set of features?
This post contains the source of this file:
Which, if you save/open it in your browser, will let you select all the features that you would like to see, and add your own, too, if you wish.
You can just select what you want, click the button at the bottom, and copy/paste the results into a reply/post.  It's not explicitly clear what you're looking for in an embark, is why I bring this up.
Once you have a list, we can iterate.

Thanks, I used the file as a starting point. I'm getting back into the game after a long hiatus and am looking for a somewhat easy map to get my legs under me again.

Looking for:
Medium/large river
Waterfall
Volcano (flat preferred, but don't really care)
Trees
Not constantly frozen
Not too hard of a map(not full of undead) I don't know what this means in terms of savagery/good/evil
Access to most necessary resources (flux/iron/sand/etc)
Will get migrants

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2019, 03:55:01 pm »

Ok, good stuff, greenskye. 
What size embark are you willing to accept? 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5 ? or would you prefer the smallest, or you don't care?
Is coal/lignite a requirement, or just flux, iron, sand, for resources?
With respect to the waterfall, if a smaller river at the 'top' of the embark produced a waterfall that flowed into the larger river at the 'bottom' of the embark, would that be fine?  If not, describe your ideal.

As far as savagery/good/evil, no undead is easy, so no problem there.  The ground can be 100% evil without evil clouds, or undead husks, or blood rain, it just means certain plants and trees will grow there that wouldn't otherwise (like glumprong trees in evil, or feather trees in good).  Certain animals, in particular Giant animals will show up in Untamed wild biomes of very high savagery.  If you combine good with savage, for example, you can get Giant Unicorns, rather than just Unicorns.
But for most people, savagery doesn't matter if they don't want Giant animals or animal-men.  Evil/Good doesn't matter if you don't want the things that are unique to them.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2019, 04:15:58 pm »

Ok, good stuff, greenskye. 
What size embark are you willing to accept? 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5 ? or would you prefer the smallest, or you don't care?
Is coal/lignite a requirement, or just flux, iron, sand, for resources?
With respect to the waterfall, if a smaller river at the 'top' of the embark produced a waterfall that flowed into the larger river at the 'bottom' of the embark, would that be fine?  If not, describe your ideal.

As far as savagery/good/evil, no undead is easy, so no problem there.  The ground can be 100% evil without evil clouds, or undead husks, or blood rain, it just means certain plants and trees will grow there that wouldn't otherwise (like glumprong trees in evil, or feather trees in good).  Certain animals, in particular Giant animals will show up in Untamed wild biomes of very high savagery.  If you combine good with savage, for example, you can get Giant Unicorns, rather than just Unicorns.
But for most people, savagery doesn't matter if they don't want Giant animals or animal-men.  Evil/Good doesn't matter if you don't want the things that are unique to them.

Sorry knew I forgot something. Size doesn't super matter, any size that won't hit FPS death super quick is fine. I have a pretty good CPU (i7 9700k), though I know with DF that doesn't always mean much.

Ideally waterfall would be not super close to the edge of the embark so its easier to build on/around, but I'm open to other options. Just primarily looking for an interesting feature to design the fort around.

I do think I'd like to have coal as well, though if it's super hard to find all of that on one map I can deal with it.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2019, 01:54:51 pm »

This wasn't too bad, actually.  I used a PSV world, so was able to specify the locations for volcanos to form.
I believe this meets all your criteria except flux, in a 3x3, although the river isn't... huge.
This type of PSV world could be expanded to a 33x33 world size and likely produce much larger rivers, so.. let me know if that's what you would prefer.  I kept it small so it would be fast.
You can remove the seeds to get similar worlds and look for yourself, it only took a few worldgens to find this one.  Also, you'll want to adjust the number of civs and overall danger if you want more of that.  They won't affect the geography, typically.
Spoiler: waterfall-volc2 (click to show/hide)

EDIT:  Found another embark in a larger world that has flux + iron (but no coal/lignite), with trees for charcoal.  Also, a larger river, and an 11Z waterfall.  It's in a tropical savanna.
Also in the same world is a 2x2 river + volcano, totally flat, steel friendly.  You can add more races, as desired.
Spoiler: PSV_WFVC_33 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:47:53 pm by vjek »

zennyrpg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2019, 12:46:14 am »

I'm looking to create a 129x129 map with a single large island with minimal other islands (interesting coastline, bays, and internal oceans are fine).  I also don't want huge mountain ranges.

It seems like a want low elevation variance in regards to coastline and high variance in regards to mountains.  Since this isn't really possible (its all elevation), is there some other way I can achieve the effect I want?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2019, 06:34:53 am »

Try using a weighted mesh for elevation_frequency.  Something like:

[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:5:3:20:1:1:1]

then keeping the elevation variation pretty low. 

Here's one that I quickly knocked up using the medium island as a base.  Needed to remove/change a couple of restrictions to do with mountain peaks and required minimum squares (mountain and elevation) from memory (think I also unnecessarily removed some glacier requirement while I was experiementing...).  Remove the seeds if you want to generate a different one.  :) 

Tweak it to get what suits you best!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zennyrpg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2019, 11:33:35 pm »

Try using a weighted mesh for elevation_frequency.  Something like:

[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:5:3:20:1:1:1]

Thanks, that got me set down the right path.

[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:5:2:10:5:2:3]

I was using mesh size 4 before, so increasing it to 5 made a nice difference.  It made the whole thing less cohesive as an island so i had to do quite a few gens to get a shape I liked.  However, it did work nicely to get the mountains to spread themselves out more evenly. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:38:41 pm by zennyrpg »

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2019, 03:03:19 pm »

Greetings.
Does anyone here know any way to make worldgen distribute sand deserts more generously (without making forests impossible/unlikely)?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2019, 03:47:46 pm »

Sand deserts (ideally) require 0 rain and 0 drainage.
Broadleaf forests (ideally) require 100 rain and 100 drainage.
They are adjacent in drainage (32 can make a desert, 33 can make a forest) but they don't overlap in rain. (9 max vs. 75 min)

So, yes, you can influence worlds to get more of these extremes, but without using pre-set values to ensure it exactly, getting them adjacent, if that's your goal, will be largely a matter of chance.
Do you want a particular kind of forest next to a sand desert, is that the desired embark?

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2019, 04:46:43 pm »

I just want at least one temperate and at least one tropical forest on the same continent as the one I'm embarking on for the sake of being able to buy the wildlife from elves. As for the embark site itself, I want a savage desert.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2019, 05:55:09 pm »

This a steel friendly embark with two elvish civs, one goblin civ, and one fortress (although the fortress is now run by goblins).
You can always clear the history, name, and creature seeds if you want something different in that regard.
Both elvish civs have all the giant-whatever creatures you would expect, and should offer them for sale.  One elvish civ is in the temperate region of the forest, one in the tropical region.
The embark is steel friendly, and a partial aquifer that is trivial to utilize or bypass, as you wish.  Sand and Clay as well.
There is candy on the embark as well, and it's a fairly shallow region, so easy to get to the caverns and magma, respectively.
There are many other possible desert embark locations that are steel friendly, this one just seemed to be near both the goblins and elves, and have what most players would want.
Spoiler: desert_forests1 (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15