Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 69061 times)

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 01:23:18 pm »

Decided to delete my silly question and replace it with some silly statements. ;)

@Lord Shiteblast: If you want an even more extreme elevation change similar to what zdrgn is talking about (dig straght into sharp cliffs) then I recommend turning off "periodically erode extreme cliffs" if you haven't already. From what I understand if you have it selected most Z-level changes will have ramps going up to them, without it you can get sheer cliffs many z-levels high (great for waterfalls too).

What affect does the "Cull Unimportant Historical Figures" have on world gen if I intend to only play fort mode?  Practically speaking, what do I lose in fort mode if I cull unimportant figures?  From reading what it does, it sounds like it would speed world gen up a lot.

@Dragonborn: Culling definitely seems to make worldgen take a lot longer as far as I can tell but it gets rid of a lot of meaningless events and people the game would otherwise have to keep track of, presumably also speeding up fort mode in the latest releases; It definitely speeds up saving/loading a bit. Also, I might be mistaken, but parents/siblings/spouses/children/appentices/masters of a dwarf in your fort that have been culled generally still appear to be named in descriptions, etc, they just have no historical data associated with them (and I assume this means that they will never be represented in statues or engravings). I think the game needs to at least keep track of family trees.

I have checked this recently as one of my Dwarves had something like 8 relatives named in her description and a few of them appeared as "unknown" in Legends Viewer even though they were named in the game. I might have this completely wrong though as I nearly always generate without "Reveal Historical Events" on so this might explain the disconnect between Legends Viewer and in-game.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:28:58 pm by Llamageddon »

a52

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes crows for their intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 03:51:04 pm »

Is there a list/table of how the simple options affect the advanced parameters? I only want to change a few things through advanced params (Good + Evil frequency and the two Legends events options). I'd like to keep things like Mineral Occurrence and Natural Savagery set to the values allowed by the simple worldgen options, so that I don't accidentally make things too crazy.

Basically, I'm just trying to make a Small world with Short history, Very High beasts, Very High savagery, and Frequent minerals, but with higher occurrences of Good and Evil (at about the same rate Very High savagery increases savagery) and Cull Unimportant Historical Figures on and Reveal All Historical Events off.

Edit: Nevermind, I just learned how to export world gen params (Create a simple world, then press 'p').
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:05:27 pm by a52 »

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 02:00:46 am »

Is there a way to manipulate or otherwise control what deities you get in worldgen?

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 02:08:39 am »

Not directly in the worldgen parameters. Nearest thing I can think of is changing the number of demons at worldgen. Is a good point though, would be an interesting option to have.

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 02:17:46 am »

I really like having specific god profiles in my civilizations, so I always end up making around 20 worlds before being able to settle on one.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 04:12:33 am »

Is there a way to manipulate or otherwise control what deities you get in worldgen?
It shouldn't be too hard to use DFHack to change the set of deities any give civ has: it should be a matter of adding/removing deities to the list of civ deities.
It would be a bit harder to create deities, but it's probably possible.
Note that this kind of manipulation is best made during world gen just as a civ is created (so there's no history that gets mucked up, for instance).

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 12:45:58 pm »

So, I heard how caverns are generated in default woldgen can be changed to help FPS and other problems they cause. Does anyone know of some good settings/guidelines I should follow. I remember a guide for doing it years ago but can't find it and assume it might be outdated by now anyway.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »

So, I heard how caverns are generated in default woldgen can be changed to help FPS and other problems they cause. Does anyone know of some good settings/guidelines I should follow. I remember a guide for doing it years ago but can't find it and assume it might be outdated by now anyway.
The obvious standard recommendation is to restrict the number of cavern layers to 1. There's a bug associated with that causing candy spires that should have reached caverns that have been removed to fail to materialize at all (and it probably causes magma pools to go missing as well, although I haven't bothered to try to confirm that guess as it's usually not as serious). The Candy Corrector script https://github.com/PatrikLundell/scripts/blob/own_scripts/candy_corrector.lua (web page with the script, not just the script) can fix AWOL spires to reach the appropriate caverns if run pre embark.

Reducing the amount of water in the caverns can increase the frequency of "muddy caverns", which should result in fewer trees (only blood thorn can exist in the Cavern Chasm biome), but also remove the available set of cavern critters and vegetation (no shrubs, but I've seen and confirmed moss under the mud, although others have claimed there is no moss nor spore release, so it might be "random" [although the cases I've investigated didn't have any moss in the biome, but it was there anyway...]).

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 02:49:17 pm »

You can change the total number of cavern layers, I know you can go down to 1 and I'm pretty sure you can go down to 0 to remove them altogether. You can also set the minimum openness to 100 and maximum density to 0 to make broad, open spaces rather than mazes of twisty little passages, all alike—that should cut down on pathfinding at the very least.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 06:30:04 pm »

:
You can change the total number of cavern layers, I know you can go down to 1 and I'm pretty sure you can go down to 0 to remove them altogether. You can also set the minimum openness to 100 and maximum density to 0 to make broad, open spaces rather than mazes of twisty little passages, all alike—that should cut down on pathfinding at the very least.
You can reduce the number of cavern layers to 0, but that causes dwarves to fail to exist (they rely on cavern resources), resulting in adventurer worlds only. Raw editing can make dwarves surface compatible (an outdoors farming tag or something like that), or you can change other races to be playable (resulting in non mooding funny looking dwarves, possibly with stunted technical functionality (steel making probably won't be there, for instance)).

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 11:09:43 pm »

Is there a better utility for painting worlds like the one in Perfect World but a bit more advanced? I keep wanting to tweak the maps.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 02:39:57 am »

Is there a better utility for painting worlds like the one in Perfect World but a bit more advanced? I keep wanting to tweak the maps.
Yes, in my biased opinion. Tweakmap can be used as a replacement for the vanilla built in World Painter and to tweak PSV data you already have (through previous sessions or through exportmap). It does not, however, take the kind of input Perfect World seems to require.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161188.msg7228166#msg7228166
or https://github.com/PatrikLundell/scripts/blob/own_scripts/tweakmap.lua (A web page with the script, not a text file with it: don't use "save as").

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 09:44:17 am »

Wish there was an easy way of setting the colour gradient up right so you could paint a heightmap in MS paint/photoshop and convert it to PSV. Ought to be theoretically possible by importing the image as a mapset for PerfectWorld.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how I can stop my poor kobolds always dying out if I run more than about 250 years of history?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 12:05:18 pm »

:
On an unrelated note, does anyone know how I can stop my poor kobolds always dying out if I run more than about 250 years of history?
A larger map and more kobold civs might help. Restricting the number of each major civ and leaving the kobold number open should result in all additional civs beyond the limited number if each major race would be goblin ones.
Fewer nasty (semi)megabeasts/titans sould help as well.
I would expect PSV worlds where kobold friendly caves are likely to spawn in areas where they're unlikely to be killed of by the major races probably helps as well.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2018, 10:36:00 pm »

Is there a less crude method of avoiding a million world rejections in a row other than just eliminating all the "minimum" stats?  It seems even a couple slight changes in advanced parameters always just gives me an infinite series of rejections.  Just setting all of them to ignore seems to work, but also seems a bit of a sledgehammer approach and sometimes leads to completely ridiculous worlds.

Anyone have a set of minimum values that's tolerant but still sanity-tests a bit?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15