Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 69050 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2018, 08:16:14 pm »

@PatrikLundell: PSV is probably easier way to place volcanoes. Did you forget yourself posting the tool for moving necro towers?

Anyway...
I'm looking for an embark (3x3 to 4x4, inclusive) with:

- a volcano (flat or not)
- a source of water
- a large amount of candy
- savage evil biome with reanimation, hopefully bordering Joyous Wilds
- lots of beasts
- necro tower, if possible
- sand (for glass), if possible

I'm quite new, so please tell me if this list is either incredibly hard to satisfy or even downright self-contradictory. I tried using PerfectWorldDF after installing it in a VM, but couldn't even manage to get a "volcano-infested" world, let alone something with all this.

My goal is to build an obsidian/glass fortress with a volcano at the base and kill a lot of monsters, or, more likely, have my fortress die in the attempt. :)

Some amount of steel precursors (i.e. iron ore, flux, and some coal) would also be good to have, or iron at the very least (masterwork iron is good enough for me): just enough to tide me over until I hit the candy veins.

Tip: Only geography change 44.01 did was changing the random placement of evil and good biomes.

That said, this is pretty trivial if you don't mind things such as weak civs, sand desert, aquifer/cave water or non-flat. Extrapolating on previous work, a quick and dirty example:

||

||

Spoiler: ores (click to show/hide)

You can expand it to the north or south for 3x3 but that won't get you any more candy.

Spoiler: some pops (click to show/hide)

(other retreats have unicorns though)

Spoiler: params (click to show/hide)

Of course, you didn't mention version you're using. That was with 44.10, using other seeds and versions the results may vary, but you're highly likely to find what you want anyway:

||

Mind, you'll get much greater freedom with PatrikLundell's tools.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:42:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2018, 04:12:07 am »

I've moved necro towers, but I'm still uncomfortable with it as there's knowledge missing. Necro towers seem to work fine when moved, but "real" sites do not: they retain some connection to their original location so they spawn sites near that location rather than the original one (assuming the new location is still on the same land mass: they won't spawn anything when moved to another).

The request mentioned beasts, which I interpreted as animals. Titans and (semi)MEGAbeasts are not influenced by biomes (much anyway: rocs seem to like mountains), but are controlled through advanced worldgen parameters, as mentioned.

I'm thinking about adding candy/magma pool/volcano manipulation to one of my tools, but I need to mull on it for a bit to decide which one and come up with a way to present the info in a readable manner. There may also be need for additional research on my part to find out how things work in further detail. So, nothing in the immediate future, and it may fizzle out completely.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2018, 06:36:56 am »

Yeah, I remember. Probably beats not having one, though I've yet to test how the big sites behave for sieges, or try raiding something moved.

Animals are even easier; just slap down 100 savagery. I interpreted it as uninvited guests, and thus put lot of megabests, titans and civs (to compensate). Though the elves really seem to benefit from pet animals.

I suspect it regenerates when panning away, so regionmanipulation might be necessary. As for noticing them, well atm embark-assistant can already display magma pipes by doing 1x1 search for just them, so there's that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2018, 08:02:03 am »

Manipulation of candy spires and rivers are retained even when the data structure is unloaded (they reappear with modifications when the structure is reloaded, with the exception of river wildlife, which is generated on loading). Candy Corrector adjusts spires over the whole world, for instance. However, I'm currently leaning towards the Region Manipulator because it operates on a display scale of mid level tiles rather than world tiles. and that's probably what you need.
Mulling has had me realizing that spires, magma pipes, and volcanoes are mutually exclusive, and also that they can clash with underground paths and chasms. A path from the surface to the first cavern probably requires a cave, and it's definitely not healthy to plunk down a volcano underneath a site (e.g. a necro tower), as I'd except the site to suffer from a rapid descent, which may or may not be preceded or followed by a DF crash when as a result of site obliteration in an unconventional way.

Oh, and I realized the thread rail is way over there...

nop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2018, 05:15:46 pm »

Smaller world with 40+ necro towers for 0.44.11

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13895

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2018, 05:31:28 pm »

Smaller world with 40+ necro towers for 0.44.11

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13895
Impressive.  Embarking in the middle of all that, how many can reach you?

nop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2018, 05:45:54 pm »

goblins (war), humans and 24 towers

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2018, 05:42:06 am »

Make volcanoes: I've tried and failed. DF crashes on embark, and the volcano doesn't show up on the map except on the region one (and there DF moves it to a "random" mid level tile location). Looking at an existing volcano pre embark it has a name, which indicates there is a structure in DF that holds volcanoes that has to be tied in with the other pieces for things to work. Unfortunately, it seems the volcano list is not mapped in DFHack (or I failed to find it).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2018, 09:19:37 am »

Shame. I've read of people managing to do it in long-ago versions, but guess we'll have to contend with psv for now.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2018, 10:31:25 am »

Or do research... I've made some failed attempts today.

hypertelor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2018, 09:57:20 am »

snip

This is pretty great, thanks! I'm using 44.11, but everything worked fine. :)

Conor891

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2018, 12:17:26 am »

I'm really not familiar with world gen. I was hoping someone could help me out.

I'm looking for a kind of world where I can play through several forts and adventurers. Trying out and doing everything possible.

I've been trying to make a world that has everything pretty evenly spaced out with lots of variety in every place. Biomes, temperature, good normal  and evil, civilizations and sites and beasts with interesting history and such. I also want to make sure I have access to many embarks that have lots of different types of resources for all industries on them. Sand, clay, sedimentary stone layers, high quality animals, and civilizations with lots of different things to trade.
Savagery on the higher side as well.

My goal is to sort of have this world I can help shape the history with many fortresses both retired and abandoned due to fun stuff and different adventurers I can go explore them with. If someone knows what I should do to generate something like this or they already have a world gen parameter let me know. Thanks!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2018, 02:02:55 am »

....Everything possible is a really large term, if you mean things like "capturing and mastering training for all animal species" (requires 13 different biome types, plus each species only has like ~80% chance to appear, so..), "producing every food item" (Add some to previous), "embarking in all possible biome considerations " (28 biomes, so..I think there might be over 28! combinations? Not certain. And that's without varying the embark mineral resources, evilness and so on at all...) and so on.

It is not possible for such a world to even theoretically exist - even 129x129 < 8!, for one, and you'd die of old age even if all you did for the rest of the life was embarking and immeditelly retiring forts. I think you should constrain your search range a bit? Something like a world where one can do any single simple thing in DF might be lot easier to aim for, though I don't know enough about adv mode to produce such.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:07:41 am by Fleeting Frames »

Conor891

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2018, 03:45:23 pm »

Yeah I definitely wouldn't be able to do everything there is on one map, I just want to see if I can generate one that has the most variety it can. I've been trying to learn how to do it and I've come close in some ways but its taking me awhile.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2018, 05:11:11 pm »

Well, it's possible to generate map with all the biomes in all varieties of wilderness, elevation and evilness (though I don't bother because you can only embark across 9, tops), neighbours and structures. (Well, except for lakes and oceans, since water doesn't form mountains.)

However, few things are impossible (Maxed out town and forest retreat within 6 tiles of each other) or extremely unlikely (megabeasts or titans not attacking any sites over a long history). What is giving you trouble?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15