Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 69051 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2018, 04:42:52 pm »

Legends Mode allows export of world gen parameters ('p' I think). Otherwise the data itself is inside DF in df.global.world.worldgen.worldgen_params (or some fairly similar path). I think it's also written to some file when the world is generated.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2018, 04:55:28 pm »

Thank you sir.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2018, 12:36:55 am »

It is also exported when you choose to Export Local Image in the options menu (y'know, where you save or set keybindings - ESC in the main dwarfmode view).

It is not written out to file if you don't choose to write it out or generate world through command-line, I think.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2018, 12:46:49 pm »

Edit: I actually solved my initial post, now i just have to figure out how to make the goblins spawn in the evil area, not next to the humans.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:20:02 pm by Weizen1988 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2018, 11:16:10 pm »

I use zero-savagery evil area with humans getting 30 savagery plains.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2018, 02:28:19 am »

I get goblins to start where I want by changing their raws so they only start on glaciers (could use any biome that's not Plain/Human, Mountain/Dwarf, or Forest/Elf, but I wanted them to get Blizzard Men).

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2018, 08:15:56 am »

I set that up, but they kept spawning in the 30 savagery area literally next to the human town and wiping them out in the first 20 years, leaving the big evil area empty. Ive finally gotten that to work somehow, by making a single area with 0 savagery in the evil corner. Now the elves in the top right corner flip out and try to exterminate the humans in bottom right. 40 years into worldgen, there are 10 members of the human civ remaining, but someone builds a necromancer tower, so im going to see how this goes I guess.

Its a world one of you guys created called SLEEPERVOLC that ive tweaked minorly. i changed the drainage of a single square which prevented the elves from exterminating all life in the first 10 years (they spread through every swamp square in the entire world in the first 10 years, so the humans barely survived.) I wonder if its possible to salvage the human civ. I guess I could mod the game to make humans playable, reclaim one of their abandoned towns, get them going, then switch back to dwarves.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2018, 08:27:51 am »

Mm, yeah, elves are going to spread like wildfire through non-evil non-taiga forests. Not swamps or good taiga, though, which may be the solutions you want to limit them. Though iirc some war in that worldgen is intentional for towers - mind that the seeds won't result in same history in current version, though, so you might want to toy with the history seed if you have kept it static.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2018, 07:27:29 am »

Whole world except the goblin area is good tropical forest or good swamp, or a few volcanoes, so within the first like 10 years the elves exploded to everywhere they could reach. with total of 100 or so dead, a dwarf built a necro tower, which shows a population of like 20. If this doesnt work, ive got the world shape I want, so I can just change the history seed? that might get me what i was looking for. some war is fine, but having the humans wiped out in the first 40 years seems silly, humans could make metal armor and weapons, but somehow elves can just slaughter them. Elves shouldnt be much more of a threat than they are to a dwarf. Though with the whole world being high savagery tropical forests and swamp, maybe they have a bunch of dangerous animals or something?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2018, 01:44:45 pm »

Yeah, yeah, I recall that world. Yup, elves have bunch of giant elephants or the like.

Exact same parameters and raws, including seeds, in same version, with no rejections, is supposed to generate same world, but since you're in different version with modded raws there's not much use to keeping the history seed. Well, they may still around, but if you change the biomes geography may change as well. With that gen flat volcanoes without aquifers are more common than ones with, iirc, so do with it what you will.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2018, 11:00:51 am »

A new project idea has me going back to world cooking, but this one is proving elusive.  Here's what I am trying to create;

Medium World (129x129)
Evil Ocean (any type)
Sinister or Haunted (I want to avoid reanimation, and Terrifying always seems to have that) - Tropical - Shrubland or Savanna
Bonus: Good-aligned forest of any kind (preferably 1-3 tiles, most of the site should be Shrubland/Savanna)

I use Mineral Scarcity of 500, which I think is 'frequent', so I'm not too concerned about resources.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2018, 04:12:19 pm »

Are there an conditions which are favorable to A.) large site population sizes, B.) larger armies, and C.) lots of wars between nations?

I'm just having a feeling for some procedurally generated violence on a mass scale recently.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2019, 07:33:21 am »

A bit of a necro, but I have a question. I'm trying to create a dune-like world and my biggest problem is, that I think I can't get over from what I understand, is that goblins can create sites on anything, humans can create sites only on plains and dwarfs create mountainhomes in the mountains but then they need plains or forests (?) to expand. Is that correct? If it is indeed, other than editing the raws, I'm stuck with goblins ruling the world (?).
Another question. Is there a way to stop rivers from genning, while still having plains? I want the sweet plains for humans, but the rivers don't really fit in.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2019, 08:14:34 am »

The purpose of this line of threads is to be used, so reviving it is definitely within the scope of its intended use.

- Note that humans prefer to expand along rivers (on plains), but it doesn't fit with a desert world (I assume you mean Dune, the SF world, not dune in the sense of a random wind blown pile of sand).
- Dwarves can expand in mountains to some limited extent.

- Humans seem to expand only on plains, apart from conquests, and elves only in forests (again with conquests being an exception). Gobbos go everywhere, and dorfs are probably the second most flexible race when it comes to expansion.

If you want a desert only world, you probably should change the raws for humans, dorfs, and elves to like deserts.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2019, 01:01:02 pm »

Another question. Is there a way to stop rivers from genning, while still having plains? I want the sweet plains for humans, but the rivers don't really fit in.

I haven't manipulated worldgen for rivers but I would suggest you should try
[RIVER_MINS:0:0]
as an advanced worldgen parameter.  It certainly won't guarantee less rivers but what it will do is allow worlds with less rivers not to be rejected.  (First value is pre-erosion minimum, second post-erosion.) 

Turning the rainfall down, which you'll want anyway for deserts should reduce their number.

However importantly river start locations require an elevation of 300+, so limiting it to 299 should prevent any rivers from spawning.  (Again haven't tested...)  Please note that 300+ are mountains so, yeah, dwarfs...

Other less potent tweaks might include turning erosion cycle count down (rivers which exist are less major) and orthographic projection off (more consistent rainfall across world, so easier to control parameters).

Drainage may be problematic depending on what exactly is wanted.  High drainage will reduce number of rivers but for deserts (sand) you will need low drainage, medium will give rocky wastelands and high badlands, that is when paired with low rainfall. 

Finally, in my experience, humans have a thing for at least starting their civilizations adjacent to water.  So if there are no rivers I would expect them to be starting by the coast. Though I certainly haven't ever dived into the code to see if this is explicitly stated or just one of those things that happens - repeatedly.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15