Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ideal length of time to age a world before adventuring?  (Read 4379 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal length of time to age a world before adventuring?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 10:17:55 am »

When I play 3000 year old worlds then the goblins have basically taken over large parts of what would be interesting leading to lagfest areas everywhere with all the trolls. Also the towers often contain truly insane amounts of undead. Not to mention most computers literally wont have the memory to run 3000 year old worlds and it would most likely crash long before its finished. Before I updated my computer thats what it would do loooong before.
Works fine on my computer and having it be a large/huge world tends to halt the goblin takeover, eg I haven’t had any issues with that. The only thing that noticeably impacts playability to me is save/load times, but I’m on a computer all day programming anyway so it never bothered me , even when streaming.

DF is 64 bit now, that is why it won’t crash anymore. It used to run out of memory when you did this but that isn’t the case now.

You seem to be right about the goblin issue. That said its easier to max sites allowed and increase the number of citizens. Then increase semi, megabeasts and titans and also max out caves. Then have ot running for 200 years only. You still get loads of history in a playthrough.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 03:52:23 pm »

DF is 64 bit now, that is why it won’t crash anymore. It used to run out of memory when you did this but that isn’t the case now.

64-bit version effectively crashes on me sometimes in Legends (it takes all my 16 GiB of memory, then total commit goes to over 25 GiB, and my system becomes barely responsive). 32-bit never does that for obvious reasons. Also 64-bit version takes more memory than 32-bit one when loaded with the same save.

Anyway, to the topic, I'm happy with 250 years, but beast ramped up, world 129x129 sized. This makes possible multiple dragons, rocs, hordes of vampires etc. which I care about. This is also short enough, that there can be equilibrium of races, or the dominant race is not goblins, but elves or even humans. I think this is  harder to achieve with longer history, though it also depends on size. Too big size additionally makes it boring when you want to travel to other continent (and practically requires you to be vampire or something).

Ultimately my adventurers are there to find a good place for a fortress, but I spend more time in adventure than in fortress, somehow.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 04:10:42 pm »

It's a shame you can't retire/die then run the world another 100 years.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 04:13:41 pm »

It's a shame you can't retire/die then run the world another 100 years.
One day. Toady mentioned how technically difficult it was recently, but said it's something which he'd like to try at some point.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 11:22:44 pm »

I generally don't play adventure mode, except for short runs, but in the new version, I started playing on a new, small world with 5 years of history. The trouble seems to be there aren't libraries or many other locations to get started, so I would say ideally at least 75-125 years of history (if using the pre-sets). Make sure you pump up the maximum number of civilisations and sites.

Now, while the world is not that developed, I did have an army marching on a dark fortress, and enough time had formed for bandits and gangs to show up. However, the goal of my adventurer was to have a lot of writing and performance on the side of all the battle stuff, and without a longer worldgen you'll have trouble getting writing materials for books. Those only show up in libraries unless you mod the game to be able to do more industries as an adventurer.

In defence of short worldgens, they might nonetheless help a "conquer the world" play through, seeing as you can dominate civilisations. Go make an elven adventurer and try!
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 09:37:49 am »

One day. Toady mentioned how technically difficult it was recently, but said it's something which he'd like to try at some point.

He used to say that wasn't a thing he wanted to do. Glad to hear he changed his mind on that.

I know this is all about native dwarf fortress, but you can fix the goblin issue just by making them eat, drink, and maybe age out. Not sure if elves are immortal, but if so you can keep them down with an age limit too.
Pages: 1 [2]