Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Politics (Massive Artifact-Related Fight)  (Read 1211 times)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Dwarven Politics (Massive Artifact-Related Fight)
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:49:31 am »

So, I visit the fortress of Handlecharcoal, attempting to find the baron Lokum Snakeskeys who reportedly wants an artifact returned to him. As I descend the central stairway, though, I overhear some heated discussions going on below:

All the nobility of this Dwarven kingdom are apparently gathered in this one fortress, and they're all holding artifacts. And they all want each other's artifacts.
I couldn't tell how anyone responded to these demands, but a few steps later I encounter fleeing dwarves, all shouting "There's fighting! What's going on?"

Sure enough, the nobles are kicking, biting, clawing, and bashing each other over the head with their artifacts -- while the peasantry just stand around watching.

Even the general's in on it.
As with all good Dwarven tantrums, it ends in a combination of tragedy and treason:

That is the corpse of the former king, still holding his artifact copper spear (which apparently didn't help him much). Other deaths followed: barons and baronesses suffocating as their lungs were crushed from the brutal blows of their peers.
Seeing that I probably wouldn't find Baron Lokum, at least not alive, I just picked up a bunch of steel weapons and made off through the caverns.

Amusing as this may be, oughtn't it be classed as a bug? At least, I don't guess it's intended behavior to have every fortress visit result in a bloodbath over artifact claims...
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Politics (Massive Artifact-Related Fight)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 10:30:31 am »

Well I'm still waiting on this bug http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10335 to be fixed - because before it is I'm not sure it's even possible to tell what else is and isn't a bug, as it's kind of a thing that affects most everything especially the reputation system. If the same thing is happening in your game that might actually a reason why this is happening - see in my game no one can actively observe other people as identifiable in combat - this might also be the case for people holding artifacts. So if someone were to see "an unknown entity" running off with an ancient thing it's a safe bet that their default reaction might be to try to get them to drop it. Furthermore, if someone then needed to carry it back they would also be viewed by the rest of the populace as "an unknown entity", it could cause an entire loyalty cascade. This is all conjecture though, I haven't managed to get a quest deep before I run into a brick wall.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Politics (Massive Artifact-Related Fight)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:00:02 pm »

I screwed myself out of fun by replacing the vanilla royalty? I've got elder/high priests, guard captains, mayors, but ditched the king/baron/count spam.